How did you pick your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on getting back into a healthy bmi. I'm just over now, at 26.6. I've never been small so it's difficult to choose a solid number really. I suppose I'll adjust as I move forward.
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My current goal is be back to pre-baby weight, and I am 5 lbs away from it. Babe will be 2 years old in less than 2 weeks, so the clock is ticking! Hahaha.
    I used to be 10 lbs from current for a long time, so ideally I will hit that point sometime again. Getting back to logging, and really focusing on increasing my protein intake have helped so much.
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i googled "ideal weight calculator" filled in the form and it said it needs to be 59 kg. Then i looked at the BMI chart and put my goal weight in between 59 and 70 kg which is a healthy bmi. 65 kg. is my goalweight
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'll know mine when I see it.

I'm sort of fine where I am now health-wise. I'm just working on vanity at this point. Recomp combined with extra slow loss of some stubborn fat pockets.

It won't really be a number, it will be a look.

^ This.

My original goal was 140, what I weighed when I fit into my two favorite pairs of jeans. Once I got there, while I was happy to wear the jeans again, I wasn't happy with how I looked so I continued to eat at a deficit. I'm now 130 pounds and happy. Certainly there's room for improvement, but that's what recomp is for.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I'm curious how you picked your goal. I've seen women of my height here with a wide variety of goals for their weight so it made me curious how others chose.

Mine was simple - I looked at a BMI chart, saw where i went from "overweight" to "within normal" and picked a few pounds below that threshold. I figure once i get there I'll figure out if I'm happy, want to lose a few more pounds, or if i want to tone up even if that means weighting up too.

Same here. I'd like to be 135 because the highest weight for my height is 145. This is completely dependent upon body composition if I'm lean enough at 145 I'll maintain if I'm still fatty at 135 I'll lose.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I chose my goal weight to be 130 lbs. A weight I used to be at and was happy with. Preferably I'd like to go down to my high school weight of 120 lbs but once I reach 130 I will see how I feel :)

I am 5'4" as well currently at 179 lbs.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and chose 135lbs as my goal. I'm currently hovering around 136lbs and I think I could actually go lower, maybe 125lbs. I still have a belly pooch and 39" hips so I wouldn't mind continuing to slowly trim down.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Various googlings told me anywhere between 125 and 145 was "ideal" for my height so I just aimed right in the middle for 135. I got there, held it for a year, and recently decided another 5 off might be better and I was right. 130 is kinda nice right now.
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I chose mine based on my weight pre kids. I am 5'6'' and pre kids (24 years old) I weighed 145. After my third was born (28 years old), I weighed 165. So, 145 was my initial goal but I decided when I reached it to go lower. I am now at ~120 and happy with what I see in the mirror. I could go up 5 lbs or down a couple and i'd still be happy. I've been in maintenance since December. It took me about 9 months to drop the weight.
  • mortikarobinette
    mortikarobinette Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I based mine on my healthy bmi range. And that happens to be what I weighed before we had our 4th and last child.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Middle of the healthy BMI range for me, but I found out that I absolutely can't maintain that with my medium large frame.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My goal range is 120-125. I picked it based off a weight I used to be (I held steady for years without trying at 114lbs but I figured a few extra is reasonable given 2 kids + the body shape I prefer). I'm also not using it just as a goal weight, it's more of a pit stop. If I am happy/healthy at that weight, I'll keep it, if not, there is room to adjust in either direction.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am male, 5'8" and have an average frame/bone structure so BMI is pretty legit for me. I set my goal as staying below a BMI of 25. 164 is 24.9 and I have been maintaining at about 160. Besides thinking the number is correct for me, I chose to use BMI because it is a firm number that I didn't come up with myself and cannot rationalize to make higher. I chose to set an upper limit instead of a goal weight because if I want to increase the size of my range I have to lose more weight, not give myself permission to gain weight.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    mid point of my BMI.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm curious how you picked your goal. I've seen women of my height here with a wide variety of goals for their weight so it made me curious how others chose.

Mine was simple - I looked at a BMI chart, saw where i went from "overweight" to "within normal" and picked a few pounds below that threshold. I figure once i get there I'll figure out if I'm happy, want to lose a few more pounds, or if i want to tone up even if that means weighting up too.

Just a sidenote: "overweight" on the BMI chart is "within healthy" by definition. Which is why my goal is the upper edge of overweight. Since I'm already relatively fast, relatively strong, etc. I just want to reduce the load on my joints a tiny bit so that I can get back to my acrobatic/gymnastic/inverted training.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Just a sidenote: "overweight" on the BMI chart is "within healthy" by definition. Which is why my goal is the upper edge of overweight. Since I'm already relatively fast, relatively strong, etc. I just want to reduce the load on my joints a tiny bit so that I can get back to my acrobatic/gymnastic/inverted training.

I have seen studies that indicate that the low end of BMI, below 20, is not healthy for most people and decreases life expectancy in seniors. The best range was 21 or above to below 28 in one study I read (actually read an article about the study) recently.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I have seen studies that indicate that the low end of BMI, below 20, is not healthy for most people and decreases life expectancy in seniors. The best range was 21 or above to below 28 in one study I read (actually read an article about the study) recently.

You're right. And of course at different heights/shapes, a given BMI may or may not correlate to a healthy or unhealthy BF%.

Mostly due to the square/cube law and the fact that BMI is a straight line calculation. A 4'11" person at 24 may be unhealthy where a 6'3" person may be healthy at 28 or 29.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My ideal goal weight is 115 lbs. My more realistic goal is 120 lbs. I am 5'0" tall. I want to fit my clothes again.

Any time I have weighed less than 115, I have stopped menstruating, and had to eat 1200 calories and exercise every day. I was a size 2-4 at my lowest weight. I cant imagine being 100 lbs. At that weight I would be too skinny and less than a size zero. I dont know how some women my height weigh 90 lbs. That is insane to me. I guess our bodies are all different.

It's frame size and how much muscle mass you have.

I have a medium frame and decent musculature (genetic), so I'm always going to be a bit higher on the BMI scale for my height than someone who has a smaller frame and got less muscle mass from the genetic lottery.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did the same, I'm 143 lbs and 5'4 (normal bmi is 145 for my height i think)
    but now that ive reached this... I've lowered my goal because I still think I look so fat. :disappointed:
    but I kinda think it's a mental thing, I don't think I'll ever be happy with how I look. I remember being 120lbs in high school and thinking how fat I was.