Keto - alternatives to protien?

Options
Hi, I've been on and off low carb for the last 20 years...mostly on...having a lot of success in my 20's, though I'm finding little success with my low carb journey recently.

I've read that too much protein can cause glycogenisis, when the liver converts amino acids found in protein into sugar :(. I think this is what's happening for me and preventing my weight loss, as although my carbs are low, I lean heavily on protein-based solutions.

Any keto friendly suggestions to replace/reduce protein? Hoping for ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks! Thank you so much!

Anyone open to sharing their keto diary, I'd be so grateful :). Thank you!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ringrosie wrote: »
    ...I've read that too much protein can cause glycogenisis, when the liver converts amino acids found in protein into sugar :(. I think this is what's happening for me and preventing my weight loss, as although my carbs are low, I lean heavily on protein-based solutions...
    The only way protein could be preventing weight loss is if it's causing you to eat above maintenance calories. You only lose weight by consuming less calories than you expend (caloric deficit). Your macronutrient split and/or being in ketosis have nothing to do with it.

With that said, your only other option on a ketogenic diet would be to replace those proteins with fats, since carbs are out of the picture for a keto dieter. So if you're looking for fats that are low in protein without carbs, your primary sources would be oils and nuts.

Unfortunately, my diary wouldn't be of any assistance for you. I've lost over 70 pounds and successfully maintained the loss for almost a year, but never eaten anywhere near keto macros.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is a really inefficient process...ketosis does not have any significant fat burning effects.
    Anecdotal/personal experience: high protein & moderate fat > traditional high fat low protein keto for athletes/weight lifters/bodybuilders (I find traditional keto less satisfying & easier to overshoot kcals on vs. a higher protein version (also a lot easier/forgiving with kcal tracking/estimates)

"But that's just my advice, cause at the end of the day, you can do whatever the *-*-*-*!!!....you want to do"
    -words of wisdom from the Hodge twins
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is thought to be demand driven. Your liver makes sugar when it is needed, and not when there is extra protein around, although those with serious IR may notice a smal rise in BG..

Extra protein can affect ketone levels but you would need to be over a couple of hundred grams of protein. Most people don't reach the level where ketones are lowered... But even if you do, that is not a problem unless you need high ketones for a medical reason like epilepsy.

If you use a more moderate level of protein, like 70-150, it will affect ketones very little (nor will it raise your BG).

Keep your protein at least adequate. It often helps with weight loss/appetite suppression and may help preserve lean muscle mass.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ringrosie wrote: »
    Hi, I've been on and off low carb for the last 20 years...mostly on...having a lot of success in my 20's, though I'm finding little success with my low carb journey recently.

I've read that too much protein can cause glycogenisis, when the liver converts amino acids found in protein into sugar :(. I think this is what's happening for me and preventing my weight loss, as although my carbs are low, I lean heavily on protein-based solutions.

Any keto friendly suggestions to replace/reduce protein? Hoping for ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks! Thank you so much!

Anyone open to sharing their keto diary, I'd be so grateful :). Thank you!

nope if you arent losing you arent in a deficit. its that simple. how are you gauging how much you eat calorie wise?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese and mascarpone cheese were my go to foods for low carb, low protein, high fat.