Morbidly Obese Looking to Change

Options
Hello. Im 473 pounds at the moment. My highest weight was 516 pounds a couple of years ago. I’m hoping to lose weight and feel good again. I’d be happy with feeling”ok”. I’m just tired of hurting, medications, oxygen at night, no social life, depression, avoiding the camera and movie theater seats, etc......I just want to improve the quality of my life. I sound like party eh? Lol. Well, here goes the first day of the rest of my life. Good luck to all.

Replies

• Annalee82_
    Annalee82_ Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Good luck to you. :)
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step. That is always the hardest. You can do this!
  • pa_mom99
    pa_mom99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So happy for you and the progress you have already made! Keep it up and you’ll be feeling great in no time!!
  • caviles12089
    caviles12089 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!!! Congrats on making the first step into a new path :)
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This app and the support I've gotten on here has been so helpful to me. You can do it! Stick with it and you will have great success
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Very much luck to you and you can do this. Try to make it fun, try new ingredients, new recipes, if you're a data guy, view the nutrients and macros...I found, being a data person, tracking (cals/macros/nutrients) interesting and finding recipes that met my goals fun. Lifestyle change should be exciting and rewarding. Half of it is a mind game.
  • OcalaGuy
    OcalaGuy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I recommend that you read the Success Stories message board regularly to keep motivated. Consistency is the key. It will be a long slog with many rewards along the way.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Stick with MFP, you could do this! Definitely agree with the above poster on checking out the "Success Stories", great for motivation!
  • Splatznplugs
    Splatznplugs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you every one. What a great community !
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you every one. What a great community !

You are right, it is a great community. Like others have said, stay in these threads they will educate you on diet and exercise and motivate you with the success stories of others and the advice given to those who are struggling. Once you get up to speed you might consider joining a challenge. Challenges offer another dimension to your "MFP experience". Competition sometimes helps motivate--especially us men. I highly recommend this challenge:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

You can join at the beginning of each month, get placed on a team and join the fun--weight loss doesn't have to be lonely.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a year and a half to get from "Obesity Class III" to "Overweight". It's been slow, but the benefits are immeasurable. You can absolutely do this. Just don't make things any more painful than they need to be.

When I started out, the only real change I made was to restrict desserts to 200 calories per serving. Everything else? Just hit my calories. And over time, I started paying more attention to protein and iron, figuring out the foods that kept me fuller longer, adding more vegetables, choosing to snack on roasted chickpeas (extra protein and iron) versus popcorn (lower in most nutrients). I haven't eliminated popcorn, mind you. I just tend to choose it when I've already hit my nutritional goals and have room left over.

Don't rush things. Don't give up foods you love if you can make do with either smaller portions, indulging less frequently, or both*. You've got this.

*Most of us do, of course, have foods that aren't safe around us. I don't buy jellybeans unless I can get a single "fun-sized" pack, because I could totally eat a big bag in an afternoon. But if your calorie target to lose 2lbs/week is (invents number out of thin air) 2500 calories and you want a 300-calorie piece of cake and you can fit that into your day, and once you've had it, you can stop at the one piece? Go for it.

My diary is open if you're looking for food ideas. Note, though, that I'm a short woman closing in on goal weight. My caloric needs are less than yours.
  • mikehurley4000
    mikehurley4000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Splatznplugs congrats on making the decision to feel better physically and mentally, that’s exciting!

A tip for exercise: get up and move in your house, sit in a chair or in bed and dance, shake your body around like a wiggly child. Anything that gets your body moving will help you burn calories :)

You got this!!
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you can do this!