No gallbladder=no salad???

Options
2»

Replies

• amberlelynn
    amberlelynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you. I thought it sounded backwards, but I don't know many people who have had their gallbladder out, so I didn't know if it was common advice or not. Thank y'all!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I can't wrap my head around the reasoning for this advice unless you have other medical conditions that would make it hard to digest raw veggies. The gallbladder's function is to store bile, which helps digest fat. Without your gallbladder, your liver still makes the same amount of bile, but it goes into your small intestine at a constant rate instead of having some of it stored away. Your body therefore no longer has the ability to release more bile in response to eating a high-fat meal. This is why some people still have trouble digesting a high-fat meal for a little while after they have their gallbladder removed, until the body adapts to not getting extra bile. However, ultimately the body should adapt and be able to digest fat just fine.

I've heard the "no raw vegetables" advice for people who have IBS or other conditions that make it hard for their bodies to handle extra fiber. If you don't have any conditions like that, the only thing I can come up with is that maybe your surgeon was concerned about having extra fiber (and possibly more gas) in your digestive tract, since that might make healing a bit less comfortable...and that logic seems like a stretch to me. I didn't get this advice after having my gallbladder removed and I don't understand how it would be relevant to not having a gallbladder.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    No gallbladder in me...and I am eating a nice green salad right now. Yup I feel fine...
  • marywilliams6212
    marywilliams6212 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was told to limit fried foods, but I wasn’t told anything about raw veggies or fat. Admittedly, my doctor kind of sucked though. I would think you’re fine with veggies.
  • Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Had mine out I eat salada and raw veggies no problems
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Had mine removed 3 weeks ago, and the only thing I was told was to go easy on foods high in fat until I saw how my body tolerated them without a gallbladder. I eat a lot of salad with no problems whatsoever. So far just seems like the foods I had trouble with before surgery, are the foods I still have trouble with. I had no clue I had gallbladder problems until about 14 hours before my surgery.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I've had many issues post cholecystectomy, but eating salads has never been one of them. As someone else said, the gallbladder stores the bile made by the liver. That bile helps digest fat. With the gallbladder removed, there is basically a steady stream of bile. Some people have difficulty digesting fats because they aren't getting that rush of bile, but I've never heard of anyone having difficulty digesting salads for that reason. The ONLY connection that I can think of is perhaps difficulty absorbing your Fat Soluble Vitamins (A,D,E, and K) due to issues digesting fats, but even that is a stretch.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SaunaSuit wrote: »
    void These Foods with Gallbladder Problems

Eggs (Research showed that eggs caused symptoms in up to 95% of patients. Try substituting flax seed gel in recipes that require eggs for the "glue". That's 1 TBSP ground flax seed to 3 TBSP hot water. Let cool and add.)
    Pork
    Onions
    Fowl (turkey, chicken)
    Dairy (milk, cheese, cream, butter)
    Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, etc.)
    Beans and legumes
    Oranges, grapefruit
    Chocolate
    Nuts
    Trans fats, Hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated oils
    Margarine
    Fried Foods
    Saturated fats (even coconut oil until feeling better)
    Red meats
    Coffee, regular or decaf - except for acalculous biliary dyskinesia*
    Spicy foods
    Ice cream
    Black tea
    Alcohol, beer, wine, liqueur
    Fruit juice and sugary drinks
    Tap water
    Turnips
    Cabbage, cauliflower
    Oats (for some people)
    Corn
    Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour)
    Avoid smoking if possible as it can exacerbate the symptoms.
    Avoid all possible food allergens.

Someone who is avoiding eggs, pork, poultry, dairy, gluten, beans/legumes, red meats, nuts, fish (because it has saturated fat), and soy (because it is a possible allergen) . . . how much protein are they getting?

What is the source of this list?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Eggs (Research showed that eggs caused symptoms in up to 95% of patients. Try substituting flax seed gel in recipes that require eggs for the "glue". That's 1 TBSP ground flax seed to 3 TBSP hot water. Let cool and add.)
    Pork
    Onions
    Fowl (turkey, chicken)
    Beans and legumes
    Oranges, grapefruit
    Chocolate
    Nuts
    Margarine
    Fried Foods
    Red meats
    Spicy foods
    Ice cream
    Black tea
    Tap water
    Turnips
    Cabbage, cauliflower
    Oats (for some people)
    Corn
    Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour)

Someone who is avoiding eggs, pork, poultry, dairy, gluten, beans/legumes, red meats, nuts, fish (because it has saturated fat), and soy (because it is a possible allergen) . . . how much protein are they getting?

What is the source of this list?

No Protein if I look at the list of recommanded foods:
    Helpful Foods You can take all these foods and make "SOUPS AND STEWS". I have learned the hard way~ I grind and use a food processer to break down all my food including "MEATS" "NUTS". I can eat any of these but only if I take the effort and break them down so my own body can digest them. Its has taken me a YEAR~ to figure this all out but I am doing great and down 70lbs in 5month. Just Dice, grind, blend, you can even use a blender for all your fruits. You can Cook every Fruit and Veggie and Meats and Nuts etc. Breaks it down and you will be fine.

Beets
    Cucumbers
    Green beans - are NOT the same as dried
    Okra
    Sweet potatoes
    Avocados - a good way to get needed fats directly from food
    Vinegars all types
    Garlic helps with liver cleansing but not processed types like flakes or powder. Some people have difficulty with it but is usually ok and even helpful. Just pay attention to your own body with this one.
    Radishes
    Shallots
    Tomatoes - ripe
    cold water fish- salmon, trout
    Lemons (lemon juice in the morning with hot water helps to clean the liver)
    Grapes and fresh organic grape juice
    apples, berries, papaya, pears, pomegranates
    watermelon
    Omega 3 oils like flax or hemp. Use these with fresh lemon juice or vinegar on your salads. DO NOT COOK flax oil.
    Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder You can add other green vegetables like tender baby greens, swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, celery, carrots, ginger, tumeric -- avoid the cabbage family)
    Avoid all fruit juices except organic grape juice and organic apple (fresh, self-juiced is best). It is wise to dilute with water.
    All the vegetables listed above for juicing are good. Use baby mixed organic greens for salads and avoid the bitter greens for now.
    Fiber such as found in fruits and vegetables

That diet would make me by far more miserable than the gallbladder attacks ever did. Especially since about half the foods on there are triggers for my GERD.

What the surgeon had told me was to simply limit fats at the beginning and then slowly reintroduce until I find my tolerance level. If I eat too fatty I still get problems (3 years after having my Gallbladder removed).
  • triciathesav
    triciathesav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had my gall bladder out for just about 12 years. I didn't get this advice from the surgeon but kind of wish I did. For a few years after my surgery salad and raw veggies tore me up if I wasn't very careful, which annoyed me greatly as I'm a lettuce addict. I have a few friends who had similar issues so it may just depend on assorted factors. Even now if I don't make sure to eat fats close to when I eat raw veggies and really try to balance each meal it messes with my digestion and triggers my IBS
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out 10 years ago.
    I can eat anything now.
    I eat salad daily and never had an issue.
    Post op, the only thing I was advised was to stick to the low fat and bland food I have to eat whilst having gall stones and to slowly introduce the foods I gave up and see how my body reacts.

It took a good 6 months for me to adjust to “normal” food.

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Helpful Foods You can take all these foods and make "SOUPS AND STEWS". I have learned the hard way~ I grind and use a food processer to break down all my food including "MEATS" "NUTS". I can eat any of these but only if I take the effort and break them down so my own body can digest them. Its has taken me a YEAR~ to figure this all out but I am doing great and down 70lbs in 5month. Just Dice, grind, blend, you can even use a blender for all your fruits. You can Cook every Fruit and Veggie and Meats and Nuts etc. Breaks it down and you will be fine.

Beets
    Cucumbers
    Green beans - are NOT the same as dried
    Okra
    Sweet potatoes
    Avocados - a good way to get needed fats directly from food
    Vinegars all types
    Garlic helps with liver cleansing but not processed types like flakes or powder. Some people have difficulty with it but is usually ok and even helpful. Just pay attention to your own body with this one.
    Radishes
    Shallots
    Tomatoes - ripe
    cold water fish- salmon, trout
    Lemons (lemon juice in the morning with hot water helps to clean the liver)
    Grapes and fresh organic grape juice
    apples, berries, papaya, pears, pomegranates
    watermelon
    Omega 3 oils like flax or hemp. Use these with fresh lemon juice or vinegar on your salads. DO NOT COOK flax oil.
    Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder You can add other green vegetables like tender baby greens, swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, celery, carrots, ginger, tumeric -- avoid the cabbage family)
    Avoid all fruit juices except organic grape juice and organic apple (fresh, self-juiced is best). It is wise to dilute with water.
    All the vegetables listed above for juicing are good. Use baby mixed organic greens for salads and avoid the bitter greens for now.
    Fiber such as found in fruits and vegetables

Not only is this an absurdly restrictive diet that provides very little protein to speak of, but it contradicts the "avoid all possible food allergens" in your previous post. Any food is potentially allergenic.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve eaten raw veggies and salad 1-2x day every day since I had mine out a few years ago. No problem for me.
    My surgeon gave me no dietary restrictions.
  • slimmint
    slimmint Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I had my gallbladder taken out. The surgeon said that since the gallbladder is a crucial part of breaking down raw veggies, I needed to stay away from raw veggies and salad because I won't digest them correctly and could eventually cause a blockage from the raw veggies/salad. I have a friend who had her gallbladder out 10 years before I did who said she never heard of that and she eats salad all the time with no problem...anyone else had their gallbladder taken out and received the same advice I got?

Not true.. I had mine taken out in 2009 and i eat LOTS of salads n raw veggies
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 5 years ago and wasn't told that. I do - still - have to take care with fatty foods.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Pork
    Onions
    Fowl (turkey, chicken)
    Beans and legumes
    Oranges, grapefruit
    Chocolate
    Nuts
    Margarine
    Fried Foods
    Red meats
    Spicy foods
    Ice cream
    Black tea
    Tap water
    Turnips
    Cabbage, cauliflower
    Oats (for some people)
    Corn

Presumably if you've had your gallbladder removed you no longer have gallbladder problems.
    Before mine was removed I could barely eat anything at all. It was damn miserable and I lost a lot of weight which I didn't need to lose.
    The diet above (in both your comments) is incredibly restricted and contains hardly any protein.
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 12 years ago. The only problem I had was developing acid reflux since then. I don’t have a problem with salads and a healthy diet has greatly decreased my heartburn issues.