Craving Dominos Cheesy Bread.. need a swap that'll fit that need!

25lbsorbust
25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
It's been 48 hours and I can't get that greasy, bread-y, cheesy-, 1280-calorie disaster off my mind. I've been trying to come up with something with bread, hot cheese, and garlic butter that would maybe be around 400 cal, but I haven't been able to sort something out.

Any suggestions? Mozz sticks don't quite hit the right spot, and quesadillas are just sad.
«1

Replies

  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    When I'm craving something, I wait. If I'm still craving it, I eat some. Share it with a friend or two so you don't eat the whole thing.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    serindipte wrote: »
    When I'm craving something, I wait. If I'm still craving it, I eat some. Share it with a friend or two so you don't eat the whole thing.

    Only person I would be able to share it with is my s/o, who is v. meticulously meal planned and would not be down for a cheesy dinner substitution.

    But I've been thinking jalapeno poppers.. that might hit the right spot. :o
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited May 2018
    Stonefire naan topped with cheese of your choice. Yum!

    https://www.stonefire.com/
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,547 Member
    Laughing Cow, creamy Swiss, garlic & herb on sliced baguette, topped with low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, toasted in the oven until mozzarella melted. Depending on how thin you slice the baguette, it can come in under 300 calories for 3 slices ( I slice it about 1/2")
    It is not quite the same :| , but a lot less calories and pretty tasty.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,523 Member
    tesco cheesy garlic flat bread? still gooey bready cheesey goodness but whole bread is around 660 cals and usually half of it will sort you out :D
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    It's been 48 hours and I can't get that greasy, bread-y, cheesy-, 1280-calorie disaster off my mind. I've been trying to come up with something with bread, hot cheese, and garlic butter that would maybe be around 400 cal, but I haven't been able to sort something out.

    Any suggestions? Mozz sticks don't quite hit the right spot, and quesadillas are just sad.

    Sad??? are you making them right? I love quesadillas, but for you question.

    Opened face grilled cheese?

    1 slice of bread ~100 calories
    .25 tablespoon of butter ~25 calories
    cheese ~275 calories (depending on what kind you can get more of less)

    if you do goat or feta that is ~ 80 calories per ounce so you can put 3.5 ounces on top

    put butter in pan, toast bread in pan each side, put cheese on top let melt or stick under the broiler
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    serindipte wrote: »
    When I'm craving something, I wait. If I'm still craving it, I eat some. Share it with a friend or two so you don't eat the whole thing.

    Only person I would be able to share it with is my s/o, who is v. meticulously meal planned and would not be down for a cheesy dinner substitution.

    But I've been thinking jalapeno poppers.. that might hit the right spot. :o

    Split it into thirds, enjoy it a few days over the week?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 706 Member
    I'm not sure if you have access to these, but when I get a really bad craving for cheesy bread I will shift around somethings to make sure I have room in my day for these: Coles Cheesesticks Mozzarella Filled Garlic Bread Sticks. They are $180 calories a piece so not low-calorie, but they taste AMAZING and since they are frozen you can easily pull just one or two out and just bake enough for the one meal to insure portion control. One is usually enough to satisfy my cravings, but sometimes I'll even have two as a side for an otherwise very light dinner (something like zoodles with marinara and lentils). So delicious.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    make it yourself at home. fresh roasted garlic is actually good for you
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-health-benefits-of-garlic
    just limit the size of the bread and try not to put too much cheese on it. make sure it fits into your daily limit, maybe eat it with a caesar salad or something healthy
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Mix reduced-fat cream cheese (around 1 tablespoon softened), a little shredded pepper jack (or cheddar or mozzarella), and crushed garlic. Throw on some pickled jalapeno or spinach/feta if you want a different flavor profile. Spread on naan (Trader Joe's garlic naan is 240 calories). Broil until it's gooey and bubbly. Dip in marinara!
  • csykes1976
    csykes1976 Posts: 10 Member
    This recipe always looked great to me, although I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet.
    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54806/zucchini-cheesy-bread-recipe/
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Make two ingredient dough, (1/4 cup each self rising flour and plain 0% Greek yogurt) top with a mix of 2T light butter and garlic, top with 1 oz each 2% mozzarella and 2% cheddar. 430 calories.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    I make savory waffles.
    Kodiak protein pancake mix
    1 egg
    Milk or water - depending on your tastes and calorie budget
    2 ounces of grated cheese +/- depending on budget
    Garlic salt
    Herbs of choice
    Hot greased waffle iron.

    It doesn’t have the greasy gooey goodness that the sticks have, but it does have 20+ grams of protein and the toasty carby garlicy flavor scratches that itch for way under 500 calories.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,869 Member
    Something with bread, cheese and garlic butter.....sounds like garlic bread/baguette. ;)

    Buy ready made and then just add the cheese
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 107 Member
    I usually just cut a slice of bread and a slice of mozzarella and let it melt in the oven. You can add whatever you whant on top, maybe some garlic if that's the flavour you're looking for.

    I's a classic "crostino", and it's not super caloric, especially if you just make only one slice or two and eat as a part of a dinner, not a complete sobstitute of it.
  • Andrea1024
    Andrea1024 Posts: 11 Member
    Cauliflower cheesy bread

    1 large head cauliflower
    2 large eggs
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
    1/2 c. grated Parmesan
    kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
    Marinara, for dipping
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate cauliflower.
    Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
    Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
    Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes more.
    Slice and serve.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Andrea1024 wrote: »
    Cauliflower cheesy bread

    1 large head cauliflower
    2 large eggs
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
    1/2 c. grated Parmesan
    kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
    Marinara, for dipping
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate cauliflower.
    Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
    Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
    Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes more.
    Slice and serve.

    This recipe is about 1200-1300 calories as written. You might as well get the cheesy bread.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,465 Member
    A smaller slice of bread with cheese and garlic on it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 6,607 Member
    Maybe this is in the sad category but when I crave something with melted cheese and bread I do one of the folllowing

    1. Two finn crisp rye crackers with a thin slice of old cheddar cheese (20 g for two crackers will do) melted 20 seconds in the microwave. Top with some garlic powder and salt. Use a cheese cutter or vegetable peeler.

    2. Thinly sliced old cheddar on thin slices of toast popped into the oven with salt and pepper.

    I find melted hard cheese emits enough fat that I don't crave additional butter.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited May 2018
    acpgee wrote: »
    Maybe this is in the sad category but when I crave something with melted cheese and bread I do one of the folllowing

    1. Two finn crisp rye crackers with a thin slice of old cheddar cheese (20 g for two crackers will do) melted 20 seconds in the microwave. Top with some garlic powder and salt. Use a cheese cutter or vegetable peeler.

    2. Thinly sliced old cheddar on thin slices of toast popped into the oven with salt and pepper.

    I find melted hard cheese emits enough fat that I don't crave additional butter.

    In this vein...I had a toasted english muffin with a quarter ounce of cheese melted on it and a healthy sprinkling of TJ's Everything Bagel seasoning for breakfast this morning.

    Not quite the same as garlic bread, but it definitely scratched the carb/toasty/garlicky itch. Less than 200 calories. You could double the cheese and still keep calories around 200 but 0.25 ounce is just enough to lend enough fat to carry the flavor of the seasoning.