Losing weight but it fluctuates?

Options
I started on the 11th at 250.5 pounds, and weighed myself last night at 7PM and it said 245.5lbs. I then checked this morning and it said 246.5lbs. My period started 2 days ago so I feel like period fluctuations will have already been in place? I don't know why it's going 245-247, I feel discouraged, like I'm not even losing weight at all.

Replies

• Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    your weight fluctuates period or not, probably even more so on your period. You gain/lose weight all day due to several reasons, one of which the actual weight of the food you're still digesting. It is super frustrating but our bodies are not exact. You just started literally 5 days ago, give it a few weeks. Here are my weigh ins the last couple weeks, it annoys me that its gone up and down but I can see I started at 169 and am now 166...its going down...

• jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You will fluctuate. Weight loss is not linear, it won't just go down, you will see up and down. I go up 2-4pounds than I'll drop it. Weigh at the same time of the day, I do in the morning before my shower in a t-shirt.

Drink lots of water, log accurately, and give it time. I've lost 20 pounds in 4 months and it has been up and down the whole way.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,696 Member
    Options
    Jadub729 wrote: »
    SaunaSuit wrote: »
    I ignore the fluctuation, I wake up, use the ladys room, then weigh myself. Now if I have to use the ladys room again with in 30min of being awake (2nd pee). I do weight my self again. Other then that it is only once a day. I seem to be a 3 days person. I stay the same weight, then I drop 3 to 5 lbs, then stay that weight for 3 days.

Ect. ...

Its just how my body loses weight I was 327lbs in January and I am today 257lbs. Looking forward to that 252 this weekend.

HOW? I eat oatmeal at 6:30am/ Lunch 11am (soup) veggies, fruit/ 2:20 my last meal for the entire day (Salad, Soup, veggies, fruit, flat bread, rice or noodles 1/4 cup). I drink 14glasses of water a day and 3 with each meal to flush out all the foods so it will digest in my stomach faster. I exercise first thing in the morning, either a mile jog outside or a 5mile walk in place watching tv at 5am. Mid morning arobics, Mid afternoon, Dance to music for a hour. Mid evening, Qi-gon, eveing meditaion. Bed 7:30pm. Not really a life but its not about that its about losing weight and getting to my long term goal. 163lbs. By next Birthday.

Why would you want to "flush food out faster"?? I'm not sure water does that any how...

I have to both congratulate and caution you.

While what you're doing will probably work without too many adverse reactions while you're still morbidly obese, by the time you get into the obese/high overweight category I seriously suggest you start eating at least what you will be eating at your estimated maintenance weight and slow down your weight loss to within 0.5% to 1% of bodyweight a week. And also start figuring out how you will eat and live in the future. Do that before you reach your goal weight. Weight control does not have a pre announced time limit...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My water weight fluctuates by ~5 lbs throughout the day. 16 oz of water weighs about 1 lb.

Any hormone shift will result in increased cellular uptake - water weight. This is a necessary defense mechanism and nothing to be concerned about. You're not focusing on weight reduction. You are focused on fat reduction.
  • SaraLynnFiske
    SaraLynnFiske Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was going crazy, thinking I wasn't making any progress at all, but I guess that's just beginners fear
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was going crazy, thinking I wasn't making any progress at all, but I guess that's just beginners fear

someone suggested I download Happy Scale app on my phone, it's a good way to keep track of your fluctuations
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale 3 times yesterday and once this morning (I am a 30-year-old man, all weighings were without clothes)

Yesterday morning - 155.6 lbs
    Yesterday afternoon after doing heavy squats and deadlifts and then running 6 miles - 151.2 lbs
    Later that evening after eating a big plate of spaghetti and steamed broccoli - 155.2 lbs
    This morning - 153.4 lbs

Takeaways - yeah your weight can fluctuate quite a bit based on activity, eating, sweating a bunch, etc. Also the scale is not necessarily going to be perfectly accurate either. These fluctuations are normal. It will always fluctuate, but if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight and fluctuate around a lower number.