Does everyone have a plan?

Options
Just curious. I just started this last week. The only plan I have is to walk at least 5 days a week, Eat more fruits and veggies, and drink more water. And log my food everyday to see where I'm at in calories. I haven't put a huge amount of thought in it above that.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I just started this last week. The only plan I have is to walk at least 5 days a week, Eat more fruits and veggies, and drink more water. And log my food everyday to see where I'm at in calories. I haven't put a huge amount of thought in it above that.

I think that's a really great plan. As you go, just learn from your diary - the days you struggle, the days you hit your goal easily, what do they have in common - and tweak from there. Good luck!
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do now: I nerded it up at work during a particularly dull meeting and made an Excel doc with starting weight, goals, weigh loss metrics and a fitness plan. I then used the MFP setup data and set up CICO standards to meet, then created a fitness plan and schedule. I'm trying to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week, so I need to know the CICO requirements to keep taking weight off as my own weight goes down.

There's also a 'summary' spot in it that shows how long I've been doing it, starting weight, current weight, weight loss to date and goal weight that updates with the data I enter. I try to weigh in on Mondays now, so I have less inclination to cheat on weekends.

I have a goal set for my birthday and if I have to nerd it up to meet it, I'm willing to do it. Sometimes it helps to open it, because then I know my 'goal' and how the data needs to correlate.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options

I think this sounds like a great plan! Best of luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

IMO, small sustainable changes are the way to go. That's certainly how I got going and then things just evolve over time. I think people tend to fail when they go the route of doing something radically different and making a gazillion whole sale changes overnight...that doesn't allow for process.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with the plan. For walking intensity, I went to the American Heart Association to find out my heart rate zones for my age. I think I was actually over doing it (trying to keep up with my friend who has been walking consistently for years) & therefore didn't walk consistently enough to do any good. Now that I am trying to keep it in the right zone...moderate to vigorous...it is much more enjoyable and I am walking more. As I get more fit, I will speed it up.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'd say I'm at more of a routine than a plan now since I've been doing it for 6 weeks now. I walk everyday on my lunch for 25-30 minutes, I go to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday for cardio, I lift weights at home monday wednesday and Friday. On the weekends I dont have any purposeful exercise but I still make sure I get my 10k steps on those days too.
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried it all now hcg and yes controversial
    Does it work not sure just started protocol and not doing well
    Will come back in a week and post
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Definitely, coupled with flexibilty based on goals.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 4 years now. works great for me. Logging your food, water and exercise is important. I log my food for the entire day in the morning and stick to what I logged. If I don't I go back and change it. I lost 45 lbs and MFP helps me to keep it off and try to lose more. I log my walking on Runtastic App on my phone and it automatically goes to Facebook and MFP ..Also drinking at least 8 glasses of water is important
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have a very strict plan, myself, but your "non-plan" is actually a plan!! The thing about plans is that they can be adjustable depending on your progress. So, start out with this plan and then tweak it as you see fit.

For some insight, I eat a specific amount of calories each day, don't worry about my carb macros, but always try to hit my protein macros. I also work out 3-4 times a week with the intention of burning around 1500 additional calories through exercise. I also drink half my body weight in ounces of water each day and use my apple watch to help keep track of calories burned.

Good luck to you!
  • JMed29
    JMed29 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Im just going day by day
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've tried to do a strict exercise plan and really specific diet (low fat/low carb/etc.) in the past, and while I had success I was often miserable because I was doing exercise that I didn't enjoy and I was cutting out whole food groups. So I'd lose weight, quit the diet and exercise plan, feel happy about it, but of course I'd then gain the weight back.

So this time my plan is everything in moderation. The only thing I'm removing completely from my diet is sugary drinks (soda/sports drinks/most juice). Otherwise, I eat what I want as long as I stay under my calorie limit, and I make sure to drink plenty of water. I'm easing myself into exercise this time. I'm starting out just walking for 15 minutes or so a few times per week. I'll likely slowly increase my walking time/days and maybe add some light strength training after a few months. I really feel like easing myself in will make me happier than diving into a diet and exercise plan gung-ho.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    One thing you can add to your great plan is small rewards.

Example: for every 4 weeks that you consistently walk 5 days a week, buy yourself a book. (Or something you like). Because if there is a day you don't feel like going it may give you that little push to haul your butt outside.

Best of luck. You can do it!
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had a plan and that plan has been progressive since 2011. I did not give up, I did derail a bit but I kept getting back on track. After a few months on the "weight loss/diet craz" I took a break and maintained. Then when another occasion came along I hit it hard again. Every year I maintained 20lbs less and now I am at my lightest weight. This time around I started the "craz" on May 2, 2018. I gave myself 2 weeks to reach a goal. Then I stood on it, and made it 4 weeks... Now I am 22 days in and 16lbs down and I am aiming for another 2 weeks. Total weight loss in 6 yrs has been 80lbs...
    My goal is always my birthday which is on June 18th...