Here I am.

Options
PippaBMI
PippaBMI Posts: 1 Member
So, here I am, a newbie, and I'm wondering whether I should be here. I'm not sure if I have the emotional energy to dedicate to weight loss.

So, why am I here?

It's about self care. I'm stressed to the hilt. Work is rough. My husband lost his job, so money is very tight. Our much loved children are 8, 5 and 1, and they are very demanding. As they should be.

Somewhere in all of this, is me. Helloooo! I've not seen her in a while. I need to look after myself more. Self care. I don't really mind being overweight. I do mind not feeling very healthy. I do mind that my slight limp (injury of a long time ago) feels like it's getting worse due to a lack of exercise. I don't like heartburn due to too much refined starch. And - most of all - I see that not looking after myself (physically or emotionally) takes its toll on me first, and then on my family.

So firstly, I'm not setting high expectations for myself. I'm not going to beat myself up if I fail. I want to be kind to myself. But if I do manage to get fitter, thinner and/or healthier, it will help me.

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Best wishes from this long time lurker.

You don't have to be here for weight loss.

I hung out here off and on for years just to remind myself not to GAIN weight. To lurk on the forums and see that it was possible to do little things that could eventually make big differences. To walk a few steps or try some basic stretches when I had three minutes to spare and a bit of energy. (Heck, I finally bought a crock pot and made a couple of recipes last month and I've meaning to do that for a year and a half. But in that year and a half I also started actually weighing lots of food so I could eat a serving and then only have more if I was still hungry)

I come here to remind myself that getting enough sleep is really important, doing and eating things I like in moderation is important. To remember that I can't take care of other people unless I take care of myself first.

I have no kids myself, but my parents were in a tough place when we were little - do your 8 and 5 year old do as many chores as they are physically capable of? At 8 I was folding and sorting laundry, keeping all my stuff and my little sister's stuff picked up, dusting, vacuuming, doing dishes, making simple foods like cereal or sandwiches and so on. My little sister did what she could too, even at 4. We never minded, it was just made clear that we were a family, and everyone in the family had to do chores.

(All that said, my mom just went through a knee replacement while obese - and I am now actually working harder on my weight, that was some motivation right there. Her surgery and recuperation would have gone so much easier at a lower weight. She actually lost 85 pounds in the year before the surgery, it helped a lot but not enough. Mom is tough and amazing!)
  • foodlovermartha
    foodlovermartha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

As someone who has struggled with her weight since childhood and is finally in maintenance mode, I'd say that lasting weight loss is really all about self care. Focus on taking care of yourself and the weight loss will follow. You may find this article helpful...https://simple-nourished-living.com/get-happy-lose-weight/
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP your in the right place welcome Denise