What websites do you guys use

Options
huggiesbear78
huggiesbear78 Posts: 14 Member
Hello all
I am trying to learn more about the healthy eating side, they do say 70% is eating and 30% is exercise.
I am trying to understand what website people use for recipes, do any websites offer recipes with Macro values or search with macro values.
Also looking for sites that offer inspiration, expand my knowledge of healthy eating, macro’s, different ways to eat (bulking, cutting, etc).
I am trying to learn as much as I can about all this, so looking forward to see what you guys wouldn’t mind sharing with me

Replies

• huggiesbear78
    Options
    I have found a guy called Remington James on YouTube and I think his channels is really good. Has a lot on food prep which I find most don’t do and the videos are pretty good
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't use recipes... I just make my food to fit my macros. I pre plan my food, and add foods that go together to make a meal - I adjust amounts of certain ingredients to fit.
  • huggiesbear78
    Options
    I don't use recipes... I just make my food to fit my macros. I pre plan my food, and add foods that go together to make a meal - I adjust amounts of certain ingredients to fit.

Would you mind sharing a few ideas of what you mix together? Do you make anything Italian, Mexican, etc
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Livinglean and I might have similar approaches to cooking dinner... here’s a couple real examples for you:

For dinner last night, I chopped up 4oz raw chicken and threw it in the pan with diced peppers and onions. After a few minutes, I added 10oz of riced cauliflower. Seasoned with cumin and oregano. Added 6oz white corn and black bean salsa to the pan. Dumped it all into a dish and sprinkled with 1.5oz reduced fat Mexican cheese. Popped in the preheated oven for 5 min to melt the cheese. Done - homemade veggie “enchilada bake” for about 450 cal. If I didn’t have the calories, I could have omitted the 120 cal of cheese - but I had the cal and needed the healthy fat, so on it went! This all just came into my head as an idea to try out about 3 days ago since I was broke until payday and had to “shop from my kitchen” for dinner - I like all the ingredients separately, so put them all together!

Tonight will be stir fry again - 4oz smoked pork chop with riced cauliflower (farmers market had a good deal on cauliflower!), black beans, corn, and paella seasoning. If I need the healthy fat and have the calories to spare, I’ll add a couple pan-fried eggs over easy (runny yolk) on top.

Sometimes I do the same with casseroles if I know I am going to have a busy workweek. Just throw together flavors that I like with a lot of veggies and a lb of ground beef or diced chicken - pop in the oven for a bit then into the fridge for 4 nights of dinner ready to go.

The only time I ever really go on recipe websites is when I have a craving for something specific.... and even then, I usually am just looking for some basic ingredients to combine, not necessarily a step by step guide.

Good luck!
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Google "Fit Men Cook" - provides recipes with macros, also has an app!
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My favorite is skinnytaste.com
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I use nomnompaleo.com and goop.com (I know, she's anathema on here, but she sure can cook) for recipes a lot. My most used cookbook is Trim Healthy Mama. That's just full of easy, everyday, gotta get dinner on the table now-type recipes.

I also make a lot of my mom's recipes that I age growing up or I just throw things together and experiment. If I've had a good meal at a restaurant, I might try to recreate it or if I have a bunch of food I need to use up, I might create something that combines everything together.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use nomnompaleo.com and goop.com (I know, she's anathema on here, but she sure can cook) for recipes a lot. My most used cookbook is Trim Healthy Mama. That's just full of easy, everyday, gotta get dinner on the table now-type recipes.

I also make a lot of my mom's recipes that I age growing up or I just throw things together and experiment. If I've had a good meal at a restaurant, I might try to recreate it or if I have a bunch of food I need to use up, I might create something that combines everything together.

I will check out the trim healthy mama cookbook.
  • DawnMarie3203
    DawnMarie3203 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl
    Drizzle me skinny
    Emily bites

I think there were a couple others I used to use. I’ve been out of it fir like a year. Just getting back ...
  • foodlovermartha
    foodlovermartha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like hungry girl, emily bites, simple-nourished-living, skinny taste, slender kitchen!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use Pinterest. I'm of the opinion that if you're cooking from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed food stuffs, that it's pretty healthful. If I want/need to lighten something up, I'll typically just use less oil.
  • plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want to up your cooking skills and techniques, Serious Eats is a good one to check out. You can learn about all sorts of cooking styles as well. For example I’m currently very much into sous vide for keeping all the lean meats I eat nice and tender and they have all sorts of guides and recipes.
  • CassieJBaker
    CassieJBaker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like EatThis.com for articles and recipes. But beware. You’ll come across a lot of contradicting info as you browse from article to article. As long as you have a basic understanding of nutrition, and you know your personal food goals, it’s no problem to stay on track. :)
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have the actual cookbooks, but these guys have their own websites (Google the names below!):

Budget Bytes
    Oh She Glows
    The Little Green Spoon
    The Happy Pear
    Madeleine Shaw

Also, don't forget to tweak certain recipes after the first trial run to tailor the taste to your personality.

Cheers!
  • cwebster509
    cwebster509 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have my own healthy website if anyone’s interested. I have all nutrition facts listed as well :)
    https://www.tastytemptations.net
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I try many recipes that my Facebook friends post. Of course, not all of them are low calorie or healthy. I do adapt some to fit my calorie limit though. I have a god collection of recipes that I have been using for decades, also. Many of those recipes are from Weight Watchers.
  • spencermitsch
    spencermitsch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't use websites that are specifically for weightloss but just choose somewhat healthy recipes from the following:
    Recipetineats.com - Favorite site. Everything I've tried has been wonderful. She posts calories per serving which is super helpful - stirfried green beans and pork, Zuchini Tian, Broccoli and Oyster sauce.
    Toriavey.com - great israeli food blog. definitely pretty helpful options. There was a greek yogurt alfredo sauce i tried that was really good.
    woks of life - great asian recipes, well designed site.
    http://mykentuckyhome-kim.blogspot.com/ - blog that tries recipes from famous cooks, Madhur Jaffrey, Ina Garten, Jacques Pepin, Yotam Ottolenghi,etc. Great way to get recipes from cookbooks