Hi, Just joined yesterday

Options
My son recommended the app to me. Just started using it and can see the advantages. I will be turning 58 in 3 weeks and need to lose over 150 lbs to get to my ideal weight. My main concern is getting in shape for my retirement. I have worked hard all my life and want to be able to enjoy my family.

Replies

• Chantelle160
    Options
    Sounds like a really great goal. Good luck :)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a good site to get motivated and receive all the support you could ever dream of.

Good luck!!!
  • chefswife67
    Options
    Welcome aboard : )
    You can add me if you like..
    Good Luck!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hiya and welcome!!
  • alsimp
    alsimp Posts: 6
    Options
    Good luck and welcome to the gang.. And here in the UK..
  • perishable
    perishable Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting started and it sounds like you're on the right track! I've been using this app for a few weeks and it's made a huge change on my eating habits. Exercise is harder, but it earns more food for the day, so that's excellent motivation! Good luck!
  • wildone31
    Options
    Hi Mike, I just joined today. I hope you have fun during this life changing adventure. Soon you will be playing way harder than you ever worked!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    write down your goals and your motivations. read them every day. educate yourself on healthy nutrition and move around some...but nutrition is 70-90% of the battle.
  • mikebudd
    mikebudd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Looks like your on the right path. Keep it up. I alway find starting is easy, it is the keeping with it that gets to me. Building a network of friends will help me with that commitment (I hope).
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place for support and encouragement. I'm 56 and I know it gets harder to lose weight the older we get, but we can do this together. I have lost 9 lbs in 2 months (have about 20-30 to go depending on how far i want to take this) and I'm very vertically challenged at 4'11". Just keep at it, start moving, drink LOTS of H2O and start to make better choices in what you eat. It did not go on your body in 1 day so it will not come off in 1 day. Remember that we are all here to support you and this is a marathon, not a sprint!! Good luck :-)
  • janetruppert
    Options
    Welcome!! I've been on here for about 3 months now and I'm sort of in the same boat you are. I'm going to turn 57 in less than 2 weeks and am just now trying to get healthy. Why in the world did I wait so long? I've been heavy all my life except for one time in my life and that only lasted about a year, then the weight came right back on and then in 2003 I got sick and added an extra hundred pounds onto an already heavy body due to illness and depression. I could kick myself!! But now I'm working out, eating right, changing my whole lifesyle in fact and losing the weight! I wish I'd done this years ago and I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now! I want to be healthy and be able to enjoy my retirement years, and watch my grandkids grow up. I have 17 grandkids by the way. LOL

I've lost 48 pounds now, although MFP only shows 38.5 I think. I joined this site about 3 weeks after I really started working on things and my diabetic doctor suggested it. I love it and it not only holds me accountable, but helps me keep track of everything, so I love it and the support system is great, and when I get a bit down about things, it does help to have friends that know what I'm going through. I've gotten some wonderful ideas on here as well. I'd love to have you add me if you'd like.

My hubby is a fire fighter here in GA, plus he works out at the local AF base. He's retired Air Force (20 plus years as a firefighter). I worked mainly as a homemaker while the kids grew up, but also was a legal secretary and a church secretary until having to retire due to health issues. Over the years I did odd jobs, but nothing major till they grew up. I went to school to become a private chef, but also had to quit that doe to health problems but that might have been a blessing in disquise huh? LOL

Okay, let me know if you have any questions. I think you'll find everyone here is wonderul and super supportive. Hope to talk more....
    Janet