Taking time for yourself isn't selfish it's healthy

Options
rmchan
rmchan Posts: 152 Member
All my life I've put others first...What I needed/wanted was always last on the list. I found time to work out, teach aerobics, ride bikes, etc when I was young because my boyfriend at the time was an outdoor/exercise lover...My husband likes playing ball and weightlifting and was very much into it before we were married and before our son. After our son was born, it was about work and taking care of him. This is when I really put myself last..I did less and less for myself. I never got the 70 pounds I gained from my pregnancy. My self esteem went down and so did my energy. I finally back on track and trying to watch what I eat and find time to exercise and most importantly- not feeling guilty or selfish. Taking care of ourselfs is healthy it's not selfish. It will teach our kids that they need to take care of themselves and take time for themselves as well. So get out there. Dream of who and what you want to be and how you want to look and feel- and don't wake up from your dream..My encouragement for you today is have you done something atleast 1 thing for yourself today- got a haircut, manicure/pedicure, went to the park and read a book, went for a walk, etc,etc, etc,..if not get busy!

Replies

• rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    All my life I've put others first...What I needed/wanted was always last on the list. I found time to work out, teach aerobics, ride bikes, etc when I was young because my boyfriend at the time was an outdoor/exercise lover...My husband likes playing ball and weightlifting and was very much into it before we were married and before our son. After our son was born, it was about work and taking care of him. This is when I really put myself last..I did less and less for myself. I never got the 70 pounds I gained from my pregnancy. My self esteem went down and so did my energy. I finally back on track and trying to watch what I eat and find time to exercise and most importantly- not feeling guilty or selfish. Taking care of ourselfs is healthy it's not selfish. It will teach our kids that they need to take care of themselves and take time for themselves as well. So get out there. Dream of who and what you want to be and how you want to look and feel- and don't wake up from your dream..My encouragement for you today is have you done something atleast 1 thing for yourself today- got a haircut, manicure/pedicure, went to the park and read a book, went for a walk, etc,etc, etc,..if not get busy!
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    Thank you ... I needed that:smile:
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    So very true! We all need to remind ourselves to do something JUST FOR US everyday. I have learned to LOVE exercise as my "outlet" and escape for the day. Having four kids can sometimes get chaotic, so it is nice when hubby gets home and I can take off for an hour-long walk/jog..... very refreshing and has definitely been something that I look forward to!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I had that realization right before joining MFP... It makes a huge difference when you admit you can't take care of your family if you don't take care of yourself, first. :tongue:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Rmchan,

This was only your first post ever on MFP?? Well said, and great advice. Putting ourselves as #1 !!:heart:
    What an important message. Tks for the reminder and good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • purpleparadox
    Options
    I definitely take time out for myself when I can to do something special for myself- whether it's giving myself a little manicure (which I'm due for today, haha, time to break out the nail polish!), or watching a movie, or working out, it helps me feel better after all the stuff I've got going on in my life. :happy:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    excellent post and ideas

also keep in mind that if you aren't able to put yourself first, you may not be around later to help them when they really need you.. just a (slightly depressing) spin on the thread..

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

jb