Insanity? Something better?

Options
I'm looking for a great cardio workout DVD. A friend had a similar body to mine and tried Insanity and has had pretty amazing results. She didn't have a lot to lose but lost 7lbs & has amazing abs! I know it's very intense. Worried might be too intense with what I already have going. I'm doing a version of a C25K running plan (cardio) and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt(weights). Or if any of you have a workout DVD you love please tell me about it! Amazon reviews, especially for the Insanity DVDs, aren't helpful if they only talk about how they were ripped off/DVDs don't work. It's a daunting task, there are so many out there I don't know where to begin! ANY help would be appreciated.

Replies

• LauraPPate
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv To be honest, I had typed out a description of what BodyRock is all about but I think I might ruin it. Just check out the website and fall in love for yourself :)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire and I am a runner. I'm currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon. Turbo Fire is based on high intensity interval training. It uses kick boxing moves and the workouts range anywhere from 15 minutes to 60 minutes. It really helps you burn fat. If you saw reviews on Amazon about INSANITY or other Beachbody wokouts that said the disks did not work, it is because people are buying pirated copies and end up getting ripped off. If you buy from a Beachbody Coach or from Beachbody directly, you will not have that problem, you will get a money back guarantee and you will receive bonus workouts as well.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    you could try "no more trouble zones" from jullian michaels I really enjoyed that, it's a mix of cardio and weights

i have also done biggest loser cardio max and boot camp and power sculpt and I loved all 3 of them
  • runninglol
    runninglol Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity now and have done Turbo Fire and Jillian Michaels and I'll say Jillian Michaels reminds me a lot of Shaun T's style from Insanity, just not as intense. She does similar exercises in her circuits. 6 Weeks 6 Pack Abs, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones...all GREAT workout DVDs. They are all pretty cheap so I would just start grabbing em off Amazon and you can create a nice routine for the week. BFBM is my favorite. I wanted even more cardio so I bought Turbo Fire!

If you have the money, Turbo Fire is pretty awesome. I've had great results with it. It takes a little learning to get down the moves but once you do it's a lot of fun!! Turbo Jam is a little too slow if you have a cardio background at all.

After doing Turbo Fire for a few months I wanted more resistence training which is where Insanity comes in. It's like taking Jillian Michaels and Turbo Fire and smashing them together. Crazy cardio, crazy resistence training.

Good Luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I really like Turbo Fire. I think it's more fun / less intense than Insanity. Do a search for "Turbo Fire" here and you'll get a ton of reviews.

And if you do either, I'd recommend buying off the beachbody website. The versions on Amazon are most likely pirated copies from China and yeah that's illegal and you don't get the best quality. Additionally there are about a million "coaches" here on MFP and if you buy through one of their links they get a little extra money (or i could give you my "coach's" link, she's a sweet heart who's about too have a baby and could probably use a few extra bucks).
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It's nice to hear reviews from real people with busy lives like my own. I am such a sucker for workout informercials I just cannot watch them! Turbo Fire definitely seems like the direction I'd like to go.

Speaking of informercials .... Lol
    Has anyone tired shakeology? It sounds like it has a lot of great things in it but I'm wondering if it's worth the money? Like everyone else I have a very tight budget these days!
  • runninglol
    Options
    Shakeology is AMAZING!! I got a weeks sample from my coach and used it for a week and felt so good. After the week my body was craving it. I can't wait til I have to money to be able to use it regularly.
  • runninglol
    Options
    As far as the cost, do you eat out at all? Like I often will grab subway for lunch or even a starbucks sandwich for breakfast once a week. Shakeology is pretty filling so you can substitute one of your meals. To stretch the cost you can also do half servings. Still get great benefits from it at half the price. I'll probably do this and make it one of my snacks for the day.
  • beyerlma
    beyerlma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done a month of Insanity and two days of TurboFire and would have to vote for TurboFire. Insanity is challenging and will give results, but TurboFire has proven to be more fun and much less time-consuming.

I also run a few times a week, but that's just me.