Add in Exercise calories or not???

Options
I have been thinking about not adding my exercise calories because I think I then tend to splurge on food calories. Does that make sense?? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas about that.

Replies

• rahmas
    rahmas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this....because it always adds my exercises calories burned to my calorie intake and therefore lets me eat more than my target calorie intake...is it supposed to be this way?
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have also been thinking the same. I am leaning toward not eating my exercise calories since im at a plateau...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

/in before the misinformation
  • delmore1
    delmore1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have stopped adding in my exercise calories. I seemed to stop losing when I was eating them back. This week I stopped and I've lost a pound since. I'm not sure if that was the problem or not but at this point not eating them is working for me. I figure if I try to stick to 1200 calories a day but go over a little bit I will be okay. Good luck!
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

/in before the misinformation

^ that
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't add mine as I feel the numbers are pretty inflated/just an estimate anyways. I leave MFP at 1200 and usually eat under 1500, and workout most days. I don't like seeing that big red negative number but I had a harder time when MFP added some crazy number of calories to my day.
  • hatchet83
    Options
    Erm, you dont have to eat back excersis calories. If you eat less calories than you burn aswell as eating less bad carbs the body burns fat for energy and you loose weight quicker. If you 'make up' your excersise calories you will loose weight more slowley. Its just personal preferance and whats better for you!
  • rdeloria
    rdeloria Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - they help. Yes, I was thinking that weight loss might come easier if I didn't eat my exercise calories. So I think I will stop adding them.
  • jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I think most people who gain when they eat their exercise calories are either overestimating how much they burn during said activity or underestimating how much they are eating. Unless you are using a HRM to closer estimate the calories burned, it is very easy to overestimate (or underestimate for that matter).

That said, I only eat about half of my exercise calories. I have my weight loss goal set at 1 lb. so if I eat less, I am really only allowing for that 2 lb. loss. Plus, if the intensity of my exercise was overestimated, I don't want to eat too much and offset the burn. If I hit a stall, I re-evaluate to see whether I think I should increase or decrease my calories to get the scale moving in the right direction.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - they help. Yes, I was thinking that weight loss might come easier if I didn't eat my exercise calories. So I think I will stop adding them.

See you in a few months when you post your plateau or binge thread :indifferent:
  • rdeloria
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement taso42...you're kindof a jerk...
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We love you, Taso, and your pants.
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    I have been thinking about not adding my exercise calories because I think I then tend to splurge on food calories. Does that make sense?? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas about that.

Sorry you have had some less than respectful responses. This is a hot topic, but it is one that no one on here can answer but you and your doctor. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered that are unique to you, how much you need to lose (different for people needing to lose 100+ than those needing to lose a few vanity pounds), how much you are exercising, how you are logging that exercise (off the machine at the gym, what MFP says or a HRM), what kinds of food you are eating (processed foods or whole foods, vegetarian, low carb) medical issues that factor into it (diabetes, thyroid to name a few) etc etc etc. MFP uses the same mathematical formula to arrive at the plan it creates for you that it does for everyone else and does not factor any of these things into it.

Do some research, play with it a little yourself to see what works for your body, and then go see your medical professional. Show them the exercise you have been doing, the food you have been eating and ask them this question.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau that lasted 3 months eating 1400 cals NET (eating all my exercise calories all the time, cuz I like food). I weigh all my food, use a Polar HRM to estimate exercise cals, so I was getting pretty frustrated that I stopped losing. Got so fed up I went on maintenance most days, some still having a small 250-cal deficit. Instantly started losing weight again, although more slowly. There are many great threads with many stories like this (some of which Taso provided links to). If you're already stuck at a certain weight, eating at maintenance should only cause you to stay the same, which you are already doing, so why not try it?
  • rdeloria
    Options
    Thanks again to those who have posted supportive replies. I have only been at this 2 weeks and am still trying to figure a lot of things out. My goal is 20 lbs (which some would say are vanity pounds) but to me they are pounds none the less. I do not constantly indulge in unhealthy habits. As a matter of fact, I ran my first half marathon in May. I'm sorry if I sound defensive, but I don't appreciate someone assuming what my lifestyle/eating habits are.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to those who have posted supportive replies. I have only been at this 2 weeks and am still trying to figure a lot of things out. My goal is 20 lbs (which some would say are vanity pounds) but to me they are pounds none the less. I do not constantly indulge in unhealthy habits. As a matter of fact, I ran my first half marathon in May. I'm sorry if I sound defensive, but I don't appreciate someone assuming what my lifestyle/eating habits are.

Actually since they are your last 20 "vanity" pounds, it's better to aim for a small calorie deficit (like 250 calories) otherwise you risk plateaus and even worse, muscle loss. No one wants to be skinny fat. Not eating exercise calories will make your deficit pretty big.