Runners

Options
Hello folks!! After loosing all what I wanted I decided to start training at the gym.
I have to get a pair of new runners, but I have no clue. My last pair was Assics, any recomendation???

Replies

• Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love mizunos. It’s like running on a cloud!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Get the ones that fit the best. Shoes are like jeans or cars or... What I like has exactly zero to do with what you will or won't like.

Furthermore, pretty much every shoe manufacturer has a shoe that I will like and a shoe that I won't like. Why? Because they make a variety of shoes in a variety of fits/feels/rides... so brand recommendations are pretty much useless.
  • zairazairabueno
    zairazairabueno Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dutchgirly wrote: »
    I love mizunos. It’s like running on a cloud!

I'll have a looke
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You might be better off getting a gait analysis at a running store so you know what type of shoe to get. You can get some good recommendations that way
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and get fitted.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What activities will you be doing?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello folks!! After loosing all what I wanted I decided to start training at the gym.
    I have to get a pair of new runners, but I have no clue. My last pair was Assics, any recomendation???

I'm a new balance girl myself, but you should be fit for what's best for you.
  • BlondeRunner615
    BlondeRunner615 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks Launch shoes - they are lightweight and took minutes off my mile
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Id go to a local running store and have hem analyze your gait. what is perfect for one person could be the worst for the other. Personally Im currently in Brooks GTS 15
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Chiming in as a member of the "go to a dedicated running store and get properly fit" crowd, at least for your first pair. The usual push back on that is that running stores aren't always the cheapest places to get shoes, but once you get fit and find what works best for you, you can shop sales and usually get good deals on previous model years. My wife has run in Mizuno Waveriders for 10+ years. The current model's MSRP is typically $120/pair, but as soon as the new model is released they drop to $50-60. The size and colors might be limited for the discontinued model but if I shop around online I can usually find what she wants.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Chiming in as a member of the "go to a dedicated running store and get properly fit" crowd, at least for your first pair. The usual push back on that is that running stores aren't always the cheapest places to get shoes, but once you get fit and find what works best for you, you can shop sales and usually get good deals on previous model years. My wife has run in Mizuno Waveriders for 10+ years. The current model's MSRP is typically $120/pair, but as soon as the new model is released they drop to $50-60. The size and colors might be limited for the discontinued model but if I shop around online I can usually find what she wants.

though it does bear stating that people's gaits do change so it's good to get "check ups" now and then.

i get checked every 2-3 pairs of shoes depending on the money situation
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Id go to a local running store and have hem analyze your gait. what is perfect for one person could be the worst for the other. Personally Im currently in Brooks GTS 15

I love my Brooks Glycerin 15. I wear orthopedic inserts & Brooks are wider than Nike & other shoes just don't feel right.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You definitely need to go to a dedicated running store rather than a big-box store to get properly fitted and find the shoe that is best for you and your gait. With that said I have run on Brooks Adrenaline, Mizuno Wave Prophecy but am now 100% in the tank with Hoka One One Bondis for road training. These are like running on a cloud.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted and they can recommend some shoes for you. I wore Saucony forever and love them. I'm wearing Asics now and they are great too.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Agree with those that said to get a gait analysis at a reputable running store. Everyone has their favourites - mine are Saucony Kinvaras.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but I don't put as much stock in getting fitted as most other people seem to. It's not like picking shoes requires knowledge of astrodynamics. Yes, you do have to know your foot and be aware of a few basic ideas about shoe fitting... but there are a hundred websites that will help you with that.

But in fairness... Can it hurt? No. But it also doesn't guarantee proper shoes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Get fitted.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Hoka One One Arahi here, love'em
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm with everybody else on the "get fitted professionally" train. I've been loving my Brooks Ghost for the past couple of years, but I plan on getting fitted again after my pregnancy just in case something has changed. Have fun, running shoes are my favorite piece of exercise equipment!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Runners World magazine does credible shoe reviews. (It's on the internet.) You might try looking at the most recent of those first.
    Then, go to a running shoe store and try on at least 3-4 pairs of different shoes. Everyone is different. What works for you, and what you like, might not work for others. An in-store try on is not a perfect way to make an assessment. But it is something. I know there are highly rated shoes that are just too narrow for me and only come in a single width. You can find that kind of thing out in a store.