Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting weight classes.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I picked mine at around 120 because I liked how I looked at 120. And it's right in the middle of the BMI scale. That gives me room to be a little over or a little under while still being a healthy BMI. It's not a set in stone goal though. I remember at 120 I still had a small stomach pooch that bothered me. I also lost wieght once and was looking really good at 135. So when I get close to it I'll reassess. I'm going for more how I feel and look really. So that may be 115,125 or it may be 130-35ish. It just depends. I'll know when I get there I suppose.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I looked at the BMI chart and pick something close-ish to the top of my range.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I picked the highest BMI for my height. Also, I'm 56 and anticipated having more trouble losing than when I was younger, although that didn't happen. I've now lowered my goal weight since I think I can do it. I feel great right now but it's always good to be able to run and be lighter on my joints.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My ideal goal weight is 115 lbs. My more realistic goal is 120 lbs. I am 5'0" tall. I want to fit my clothes again.

Any time I have weighed less than 115, I have stopped menstruating, and had to eat 1200 calories and exercise every day. I was a size 2-4 at my lowest weight. I cant imagine being 100 lbs. At that weight I would be too skinny and less than a size zero. I dont know how some women my height weigh 90 lbs. That is insane to me. I guess our bodies are all different.

It's frame size and how much muscle mass you have.

I have a medium frame and decent musculature (genetic), so I'm always going to be a bit higher on the BMI scale for my height than someone who has a smaller frame and got less muscle mass from the genetic lottery.

You're right. I have never been very muscular so always wondered why I'm heavier than my friends. Then again, many of them are tiny Asian women. The number on the scale isn't as important as body composition I guess.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I'm curious how you picked your goal. I've seen women of my height here with a wide variety of goals for their weight so it made me curious how others chose.

Mine was simple - I looked at a BMI chart, saw where i went from "overweight" to "within normal" and picked a few pounds below that threshold. I figure once i get there I'll figure out if I'm happy, want to lose a few more pounds, or if i want to tone up even if that means weighting up too.

Just a sidenote: "overweight" on the BMI chart is "within healthy" by definition. Which is why my goal is the upper edge of overweight. Since I'm already relatively fast, relatively strong, etc. I just want to reduce the load on my joints a tiny bit so that I can get back to my acrobatic/gymnastic/inverted training.

I have seen studies that indicate that the low end of BMI, below 20, is not healthy for most people and decreases life expectancy in seniors. The best range was 21 or above to below 28 in one study I read (actually read an article about the study) recently.

You're right. And of course at different heights/shapes, a given BMI may or may not correlate to a healthy or unhealthy BF%.

Mostly due to the square/cube law and the fact that BMI is a straight line calculation. A 4'11" person at 24 may be unhealthy where a 6'3" person may be healthy at 28 or 29.

I agree; that's why in an earlier post where I said my goal was based on BMI, I noted my height and frame size - 5'8" and average. It would be a major rationalization for me to say BMI wasn't reasonably accurate. However. once I got down here, it became obvious I needed some recomp. Not a lot, but some in upper body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Never had a goal weight. I knew I wanted to be at a healthy BF% and have a certain look which is not overly lean, but not fat either. My happy place is about 15% BF which on the scale is about 180 Lbs, but I had zero clue what my weight would be on the scale until I actually go there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I generally go by BMI as a baseline, but there are several variables that need to be considered depending on your personal goals. My goals are strength/endurance/speed so my ideal weight is based upon maximizing strength to weight ratio. I had originally set my weight goal at 204 lbs based on BMI. I'm currently at 216 lbs and as I'm getting closer to 10% bodyfat I'm realizing that this is going to potentially inhibit my goal, so I'm focusing more on performance than I am on weight.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    At first I picked 150. I’m 5’2.5” with a med/large frame (7”) wrist. That is overweight BMI but I felt pretty good at that weight years ago.
    As I’ve been losing, and pretty painlessly at that, I’ve decided to get to 135 which is 5 pounds into normal BMI and reaccess at that point. I hit 145 this morning, so a ways to go yet.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just chose the middle of the healthy weight range. If I ever get there, I will reassess. But it’s a mighty big if!!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I'm curious how you picked your goal. I've seen women of my height here with a wide variety of goals for their weight so it made me curious how others chose.

Mine was simple - I looked at a BMI chart, saw where i went from "overweight" to "within normal" and picked a few pounds below that threshold. I figure once i get there I'll figure out if I'm happy, want to lose a few more pounds, or if i want to tone up even if that means weighting up too.

Am not scale validation conscious anymore, am focused on my body fat: muscle composition.

Phase 1 (2012): From being morbidly obese to my healthy weight range
    Phase 2 (2013): From my healthy weight range towards 18 - 25% BF.
    Phase 3 (2014): Changeover - Comfortably sat between 20 - 30% BF on maintenance, even 35% at one point, for I'm not fearful anymore with weight gain, now that I'm all too aware of how far up or down the BF% is enough for me to manage.
    Phase 4 (late 2017): Fit-fem
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight I was when I was a full time yoga teacher. It's in the low Overweight BMI, and I am fine with that as I have a large frame and felt great at that weight.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm working on getting below 90kgs. Then, below 85, then below 80. In lbs, that's 198-187-176. My healthy BMI would be below 165, but at the 176 mark I'm going to see where I am with things like muscle composition and body image, and get a feel of where I want to go next. I'm big-chested, fairly tall and have a large frame, and I care more about being healthy & strong than having a specific BMI.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I’m 5ft 7. I picked 155 which puts me in a normal weight but at the higher end of BMI. I have no desire to weigh what I did in high school or anything like that. So that’s about 15lbs I need to lose which is doable.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I gained over 40 pounds a couple years back, so I’m working on getting back to my usual weight range, which happens to be in the middle of a “normal” BMI. I’m more than halfway there. :) I’ll probably stop at the higher end of my usual range and start on a recomp at that point. I’ve been about 10 pounds below my usual range in the past too, and I didn’t dig it (both aesthetically and the CICO balance it requires). So I’m pretty sure I’ll be satisfied with the range I have in mind and not tempted to drop lower.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    look up the BMI range for your height. i chose a weight right in the middle.
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I haven't picked an end goal. I started at 230 and my first goal was to get under 200. Once I got there, I set it for another 10 pounds. Once I got there, I set it for another 10 pounds. Now that I'm 179 and have lost 50, I will continue in smallish increments (10 pounds). I will know my ultimate goal when I get there by how I look and feel. I honestly don't put much thought into BMI charts and numbers.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I want to drop to a lower century, so 199.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I struggle with setting a goal based on what BMI says I should be. It feels unattainable (50 more pounds). I am setting a 10% goal right now (12 pounds to go for this). I will see how that goes and feels. Then I will reassess my goal again. Probably to another 10%.