Exercise and cutting calories.

Options
Heya,

I've just recently restarted my fitness journey after a two year intermission. The reason to the break was that I was diagnosed (kind of) with fibromyalgia. I say kind of as they are not 100% sure that is what I have but hey ho.

Anyways, after about a year after my diagnosis I had gained back all the weight I lost during my first go at myfitnesspal (24 kg) and then some, I was up 28 kg. So 4 weeks ago we restarted our weight loss plan, same as before, and also started running again. Now, I can't really run as I did and some days I am in total agony, but I do my very best!

I am currently on a 1200 calorie diet but.. I am not losing the weight, and I am neither losing anything else.

My question I guess is, do I need to up the calories when I run? Looking round on different calculators they're all telling me I should be on 1600 a day. This sounds so much to me, as the first time around I was losing and losing good on 1200 and sometimes less.. I just feel like I am putting so much effort in to this and getting no returns. I know it's early yet but last time around it was the earlier weeks I really saw results and it then tapered of to a normal 0.5 kg/week. Now I'm happy with 0.1, or the same..

Any ideas guys? =)

Regards, Kattis

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    What us your height, weight, age, activity level?
    How are you measuring your food?
  • kejLa86
    kejLa86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 169 cm, I weigh 83kg, 32 yo and following a 5k for beginners plan which is running every other day somewhere in between of 40-50 min/time with intervals interspersed with distance.

As to measuring food, I weigh it, is there any other way really to be sure? =)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The 1600 is definitely not too high for you :)
    Your TDEE is approximately 2400 including your exercise.

I'm older, shorter, a little heavier and I'm losing steadily on 1700 without any real measurable exercise. :) You got this!

(Just making sure on the food scale! Good job!)

PS. I know people will say there is no starvation mode and I'm sure they're right. But, based on experience.. there are times you DO need to increase your intake to start seeing the weight drop off. I'm not scientific enough to explain why, but I've seen it in action. My best friend is my prime example. She was eating 1,000-1,200 every day and holding steady. When I finally convinced her to up her goal to 1500, she started dropping the weight like expected.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    kejLa86 wrote: »
    I am 169 cm, I weigh 83kg, 32 yo and following a 5k for beginners plan which is running every other day somewhere in between of 40-50 min/time with intervals interspersed with distance.

As to measuring food, I weigh it, is there any other way really to be sure? =)

Weighing is half the way to be sure. Using the USDA food database based entries of the mfp food database is the other half.

Running, walking, jogging, all boils down to x calories needed to travel y distance. If your running is consistent, your food logging is accurate, your calorie intake is 1600, and after a month of being diligent to account for every detail accurately your weight hasn't fallen as much as you expect, you can reduce your calorie intake level by 250/day or so and watch carefully for another month. It is 'adjust as needed'.
  • kejLa86
    kejLa86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Serindipte, ty, maybe I should dare raise my calories then..
    @jeromebarry1, what I was asking was if I should raise the calories to 1600, mfp is currently telling me 1200, which is what I've been doing, well around 1150 average.

And not sure what the USDA is, I'm to Swedish for that :'D
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    United States Department of Agriculture.