RUNNING - BEGINNER NEEDS HELP!!

Options
Hey MFP!!

I have a serious request!

I have decided to undertake running as a way to lose weight. And plan to register for a 5k in early December. I have read a lot on the internet about strategy. So I plan to do the walk/run intervals for 5 weeks and then move on to a more intense running schedule for 8 weeks to train.

BUT what I cannot find is treadmill speeds. For those of you that run, where did you start? Did you walk at 3.5 and run at 4.5?? I just want to know a good place to start and I know I will increase with comfort and "talking tests" as I build my endurance. Anywho, just looking for suggestions! And any tips you have on form or ideas to stay motivated are welcomed! Thanks :)

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Start where you feel comfortable. That's really the only way to figure it out.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Alot of people do C25k which I hear is great... me I just got on the treadmill and ran until I couldnt anymore! lol I walk at 3.5 and started jogging at 4.8. Now I run easily at 5.5 and challenge myself with a few 6.0 runs now and then. Often I sprint at 7.5.
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you google 'couch to 5k'. That's what a lot of us on here start with.

Good luck with it ... and enjoy!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say on what your treadmill speed should be. 5.0 is a good start.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd judge what speed to set by what can you maintain for at least a short duration. Maybe you can run 1 minute at 6 MPH, or 3 minutes at 4.5. So switch back and forth to s-l-o-w-l-y build your speed and endurance. Be patient. I think it is much easier when you are starting to be outdoors without those numbers staring back at you. At the beginning the numbers don't really matter much because your speed and endurance will change dramatically over the course of the first year.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I started walking at 3.5 worked up to walking 4.0 First time I started running I started at 5 and it seemed difficult but I stuck with it and now I run at 6 so I would say start at a comfortable pace and push yourself up by .5 if you can i would say every couple weeks. I have heard great things from couch to 5k it would at least give you a program to work with :) Good Luck!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    My treadmill has a 5K training built in so it starts out slow and increases over time. Just do what feels good for you. Intervals is a good way to go... walk for a while then add a couple minutes of jogging.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 K is awesome and a great way to get started. I have a hard time running on the treadmill because my pace changes throughout my run. Try and find a 2-3 mile course outside and get the feel for your natural pace right now. I am very slow and will set the treadmill at 4.8 mph and run. but if I feel good, I'll bump it up or if I feel bad, I'll bump it back. Listen to your body and don't worry about the number. Running is an awesome calorie burn. Good luck! :drinker:
  • HeidiSBond
    HeidiSBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes! Do what's comfortable...the walks are a rest in C25K program...breathing should get back to normal, the runs should be challenging but not feel like death starting out until you get to the hell weeks (if you're doing c25K)

Good luck!!! You'll do great.

I did 4.5 jog and 3.0 walks...if that helps. I was able to do c25K with out doing any weeks over.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 of C25K right now, and I started as a total beginner. So my treadmill speeds are very slow. I run at 4.0, but I find that I don't have a problem maintaining that speed and I still feel challenged to finish my runs. I had started C25K before and tried to run too fast, and all it did was help me injure myself and get burnt out very quickly. I wish I could go faster, but for me, at this point, I just want to be able to finish 30 minutes, even if it isn't 3 miles.
    So I guess my advice is, start slow and you can always build up speed.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I start out doing 2.5 (2.5 min or 3 min) for a warm up, then bump it to 3.0 to round out the warm up (2.5 min or 3 min) then I haul *kitten* anywhere between 3.5-3.8 for a bit and then run between 4.0 and 4.5. For the longest time I was running at like 5.0-6.0 wondering why I was so friggin winded after like a minute, and then one day I wasn't really feeling it but I had to run anyway so I did it at a 4.2 and I ran for like a mile. LOL Now I can probably do a 5.0 easier than before, but I stick with a nice jog at a slight incline. I don't want to tire myself out too quickly.

Sometimes when I don't feel like really going hard, I'll walk for 3 min and run for 1 or run for 2 min and walk for 2. Just do YOU. When you start running, it's so easy to start too quickly or think you can do way more than you can. Just take it easy. Doing more than YOU can do will def result in injury. Trust your girl on that one :wink:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I started running a 5.0 but it really depends on how I feel that day.

Honestly, running on the treadmill is so boring to me that i'd never continued running if i hadnt started outside. I suggest you get fitted for running shoes (this is VERY important to prevent injury) and then just hit the pavement. Later on, a running watch (garmin for example) is great to help with pace/speed/elevation info.

feel free to check out my blogs...i write on running very often (feb is a good month to check out since thats when i PR'd)

Good luck and have fun.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started at 3.5/5.0 and am up to 5.2
    By the way I found a great app Personal Running Trainer to train for 5k's....
    10132576.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    depends on what's comfortable for you. i also think it depends on your height. i'm 5' 2.75" (yes i included that 3/4 inch, lol!) and for me i feel like i HAVE to hit a jog at 4.3-4.5mph on the treadmill.

the best way to start jogging/running on the treadmill is to just hop on and get started. even if you start slow the best thing is to build endurance and then add speed. altho i don't have any articles to quote it would make sense that starting slowly and building up could help reduce the chance of injuring yourself.
  • jsdstylec2
    Options
    Find a high school track near-by with in walking distance. the walk there will be a good warm up. Bring a timer or stopwatch with you. Start your workout with one lap at a jog. After getting your heart rate up, walk around the track for 60 seconds. At the end of the walk interval, run for 30 seconds as hard as you can, but pace yourself to last the 30 seconds. Walk 60, run 30, and so on, and so fourth. Try to do this for 30 minutes. This will give you 20 min walking and 10 running. It will build your endurance and you will build your cardio by raising and lowering your heart rate. Once this becomes easier, decrease the walk times, increase your run times and slow your pace a little. You will shred weight and increase your running capabilities in no time! Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k last week. It is a great place to start. I also recommend you go and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. I had a much better time this week with my new running shoes than last week because my feet and legs were hurting. There is an app for Android phone for the C25k, which really helps!! Just find a comfortable speed on the treadmill and follow the program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • timl2k11
    timl2k11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Get an iPhone or iPod Touch. Install "Get Running" (it walks you through the process with audio prompts). Easy Peasy!!
    I'll be doing this after I shed some fat.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I am 5'2" and just started running this week. Steady walking for the first 5-10 minutes increasing from 3.5 to 4. Slight jogging for me was at 4.6, and a steady run from me right now is at a 5.0. I breath heavy at this point but am not winded.

Right now I run a mile after the warm up, 5 minute walk, run mile 2, 5 minute walk, and about a 1/2 mile before cool down. I feel a difference in my muscles big time already and i've only done it 3 times!