Womens health question

Options
Do any of you ladies get crazy hungry the week before your period starts? Every month for a week before I start I feel so hungry! I honestly am having a super hard time not eating a crazy amount. And when I say hungry I don't mean like oh I'll just have a little snack I mean like I could eat 6 full meals a day and not be overly full. Within an hour of eating my stomach is growling again. What do you ladies do to help curb the hunger?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    For about three days. I eat at maintenance those days.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's that week, sometimes its's around ovulation. I just try to ride it out, I haven't found anything that can prevent or "fix" it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, NOTHING is appetizing for a few days before I start my period. Now, once my period actually starts, EVERYTHING looks good and I'm hungry all the time. I blame hormones.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yes I get pretty hungry before it happens. I usually try to eat a lot of veggies and protein to keep me full and satisfied and I try to stay away from carbs like white bread and pasta, etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't but I have never aimed for a crazy deficit either. Make sure you're not trying to starve yourself.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I always do! Been this way forever. I try to just ride it out or else I know I'll eat every thing that is not nailed down. I make sure that what I an eating is filling, and that helps somewhat.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I am in beast mode at the gym!! I try not to overdo it with food though I eat a bit more, but I also take advantage of the extra energy during workouts!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes, it goes from 2 days to 10. It only started when I got into the normal BMI too. That's why I didn't reach my goal and ended up gaining some weight back, it's impossible for me to even stay at maintenance those days... and I can't maintain the deficit required to make up for it on 'normal' days. Protein and veggies do nothing to me and only carbs make me feel better (not sweets, but bread etc).

Now that I gained some weight back, it's not too bad anymore, but obviously I'm not happy about it either. I'm trying to lose those 20 lbs again but I'm worried it will just start the crazy hunger again. It's depressing.

I tried teas, pills, you name it, still no luck finding a solution!
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get hangry and very tired when my hormones fluctuate for ovulation and right before a period. I do my best to fight the cravings (last night I wanted chips so bad but I managed with strawberries and pickled beets instead), doesn’t always work though. This is life and I won’t always have days where I can maintain a deficit or even eat at maintenance. You do your best and keep on trucking.
  • kaykayolson93
    kaykayolson93 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes, it goes from 2 days to 10. It only started when I got into the normal BMI too. That's why I didn't reach my goal and ended up gaining some weight back, it's impossible for me to even stay at maintenance those days... and I can't maintain the deficit required to make up for it on 'normal' days. Protein and veggies do nothing to me and only carbs make me feel better (not sweets, but bread etc).

Now that I gained some weight back, it's not too bad anymore, but obviously I'm not happy about it either. I'm trying to lose those 20 lbs again but I'm worried it will just start the crazy hunger again. It's depressing.

I tried teas, pills, you name it, still no luck finding a solution!

Same here I never had this problem before but now that I am at a healthy weight It has kicked in full force it's so frustrating!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes. starving. must eat all things.

ovulation too

so i try to be more active those days
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Aaargh, yes. It used to be just the few days before my period, but this month it seems to be all the time from ovulation on. It does help somewhat that I know that no matter how much I eat, it won’t stop the hunger... but only somewhat. Today I ended up having lunch at 10.30 because I was so hungry, and then I ate my snacks too and didn’t have anything for after gym.

At least tomorrow I’m mostly busy. But I should not be thankful to an exam for distracting me from hunger!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yep,yesterday I got home from work and ate fried rice,a slice of pizza and more cake than I care to admit,it was awful and I felt like an animal let out of a cage haha
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My strategy is to eat a little of the thing I’m craving (chips, chocolate) then fill the rest of the gnawing pit in my stomach with volume foods like chicken or shrimp and fiberous veggies. I can eat a whole bag of sugar snap peas without blowing my day and it satisfies my urge to just put everything in my face.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yup..and I have a crazy craving for chokolate, and milkshake...I've found that a glass of chocolatemilk with a bit of whipped cream in the evening (150 ish kcal) can satisfy my craving enough that I dont consume a huge bare of chocolate
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No not crazy hungry but I do crave more salt and sweet than usual. I don't eat above maintenance calories though regardless, but I think that might be pure determination that I seem to have bags off (thank goodness!)
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yep and I feel like my extra hunger and cravings is sabotaging my weight loss efforts. It’s now that I tend to over eat! I’ve found that eating dark chocolate helps abit or even some milk chocolate curbs the cravings for abit. But yes I also feel that the leaner I get the harder my body is fighting. Recently I’ve increased my protein from 80-90g a day to 110-120g and that has helped me a lot with hunger. I also eat a higher fat diet and lower carbs (not low carb though) as that helps with satiety.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yes. I used to crave junk food like crazy during that time, but this year I’ve been doing keto and haven’t had cravings at all. So imagine my surprise when month after month I’d get ravenously hungry during that same week. I had to eat more than my calorie goal, but it didn’t seem to affect my weight loss when I did.

After it happened a few times I googled it, and apparently it’s normal for women to legit burn more calories right before and/or in the first few days of their periods. It’s not a huge difference, though, and it’s easy to “drown out” with cravings and indulgences.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have always been like this. Even now being on the Mirena and not having a period, my hormones still fluctuate and one week a month is always much harder to eat in a deficit. I'm trying to keep it down to maintenance calories at most during this time and drink even more water. I have also been allowing myself a low calorie snack every few hours when normally I just eat 2 meals a day with 1 snack. Unfortunately this week I am having to slow down a bit working out to let my knee recover but now it is feeling better so I'm planning on doing some extra distance in my runs the next few days to help make up for it.

I know it sucks, but as long as you are not eating above maintenance, you will still make progress. It will just be slower than if you were constantly in a deficit.