ADHD and nutrition

Options
morgaen01
morgaen01 Posts: 12 Member
Good morning :)

Just a bit of background, I've been on this site for 4 years but deleted my other account and started fresh because, well I needed a fresh start,

Anyway, I was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia a couple of months ago and I read that diet can help.

Does anyone know what macro split works best? I get that all 3 play a role in brain function and protein is most important (which works well with my workout goals), but should I prioritise carbs or fat?

Thank you very much.
Christo

Replies

• tassiegal
    tassiegal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how diet can help dyslexia, given its a eye/brain communication thing, BUT I would be looking at the article you saw that in, and seeing if htere are other studies that back it up.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Yes.. sorry i haven't had time to read this properly but i was attracted to the adhd then the dyslexia.. i suffer and my kids this.. i have found eating certain things does help it.
  • morgaen01
    edited May 2018
    Options
    tassiegal wrote: »
    I am not sure how diet can help dyslexia, given its a eye/brain communication thing, BUT I would be looking at the article you saw that in, and seeing if there are other studies that back it up.

Sorry, I just added dyslexia for background purposes. I was specifically looking for info on ADHD
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Yes.. sorry i haven't had time to read this properly but i was attracted to the adhd then the dyslexia.. i suffer and my kids this.. i have found eating certain things does help it.

If you could please share that information I would appreciate it very very much.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Possibly omega-3 fatty acids could help.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I second the omega 3 suggestion. My son was diagnosed at 3 very hyper no learning problems and now he is 25 and doing well and chooses not to take meds as adult. I did a lot of research and the brain really benefits from omega 3 fats.
  • EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been eating more Omega 3 in hemp seeds and fish. If it's been helping my ADHD, it's been subtle - but then again, even the medication feels subtle when it works, so it's probably helping in ways I can't point to and say "that's it".

I've been much better at remaining on task, and have been easily able to pull myself out of any unproductive hyper focus. Emotional regulation is easier. I still get bad days but I can pull myself out of it with ease.

I otherwise eat a lot of proteins and fats, and by default that lowers my carbs even though I'm not really focusing on lowering carbs. It just happens.

Good luck!
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try supplementing your diet with cod liver oil or red krill.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My son has ADHD & autism. His pediatrician put him on an iron supplement and said something along the lines that people with ADHD will have worse symptoms when their iron levels are low. So you might want to track that nutrient and make sure you are including lots of iron rich foods. When did you last have blood work done?

His meds mess with his appetite and his autism severely reduces his range of food choices (sensory issues + aversion to trying new things, even a different brand). Again the big thing from his doctors was lots of healthy fats (important for brain function), really watch the refined sugar (spikes in blood sugar), and small regular meals. He gets a lot of his calories in liquid form: Carnation Instant Breakfast, Pediasure Grow & Gain, milk. But then we are trying to put weight on him and he has almost no appetite.

• aelster618
    aelster618 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have ADD. I have seen mixed evidence that eliminating certain foods (going on an ADHD/ADD diet) can help. These foods usually include gluten, refined sugars, soy, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, etc.
    Personally, I had food allergy/intolerance testing done about 4 years ago and have completely cut out gluten, dairy, and reduced my intake of a few other inflammatory foods. I hoped that it would also help my ADD symptoms but unfortunately it hasn’t. However, it has helped with so many other symptoms I was having so it has been completely worthwhile!

Google ADHD diet for more information! Here’s an article supporting the concept: https://draxe.com/adhd-diet/
  • morgaen01
    Options
    Thank you very much, everyone :)

OK so omega 3 fatty acids are good, but how much do you take daily?

My psychologist said I should drink less coffee. I drink 4 - 5 cups a day with xylitol instead of sugar. So far not doing so well on reducing that. lol

Thank you very much, everyone. I'll go google ADHD diet.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Ultimately what works to manage your health is fairly variable, what helps one may not help another. And there will be a lot of trial and error.

We had a pretty good discussion on this thread last year

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10551567/salicylates-adhd/p1
  • stanmann571
    Options
    morgaen01 wrote: »

My psychologist said I should drink less coffee. I drink 4 - 5 cups a day with xylitol instead of sugar. So far not doing so well on reducing that. lol

That's very odd. Stimulants are generally one of the more universally helpful components to treating ADD/ADHD.

So unless he's suggesting you stop self medicating and go on a prescription treatment, I'm not sure what his goal is.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    For me, as I've gotten older the only thing that I really avoid is HFCS, because it triggers my randomness much more than anything else, and much more predictably. Additionally, I tend to get 3-6 "doses" of caffeine a day. I quit coffee a while back so mostly diet soda but occasionally a pre-workout or crystal lite flavor packet(in water).
  • morgaen01
    Options

That's very odd. Stimulants are generally one of the more universally helpful components to treating ADD/ADHD.

So unless he's suggesting you stop self medicating and go on a prescription treatment, I'm not sure what his goal is.

No I'm on meds. Has something to do with the effect of caffeine or something but quite honestly caffeine does nothing for me. I drink coffee for out of habit more than anything else.
  • stanmann571
    Options

No I'm on meds. Has something to do with the effect of caffeine or something but quite honestly caffeine does nothing for me. I drink coffee for out of habit more than anything else.

Then find a non-caffeinated herbal tea blend that you enjoy to sub in for the habit.

Nothing wrong with habits and routines. Especially if they leave you with mental energy to spend on other things.
  • morgaen01
    edited May 2018
    Options

Then find a non-caffeinated herbal tea blend that you enjoy to sub in for the habit.

Nothing wrong with habits and routines. Especially if they leave you with mental energy to spend on other things.

I was showing a colleague today that it takes me 40 minutes just to plan my day. I collect all the tasks, then I prioritize them in terms of what is urgent and what not, then I write them into my work journal and then I add the stuff from my private journal that I randomly thought of that needs to get done. Then I plan when I am going to do what. They just walk in and start working lol

Anyway, thank you so much for all the advice.

Oh, I was reading the other thread you mentioned. I think the psychologist wants me to lay off the caffeine because of anxiety issues.

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Oh, I was reading the other thread you mentioned. I think the psychologist wants me to lay off the caffeine because of anxiety issues.

Are you also having sleep issues? My son's medications can make it hard for him to sleep. So we don't give him any caffeine (he's also EIGHT) and give him melatonin every night. (Plus a whole sleep routine and a sleeping mask.)
  • morgaen01
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Are you also having sleep issues? My son's medications can make it hard for him to sleep. So we don't give him any caffeine (he's also EIGHT) and give him melatonin every night. (Plus a whole sleep routine and a sleeping mask.)

Yeah, I do but I have no problem falling asleep. Problem is I was up at 2am and then can't fall asleep again.