Pain-Free Running Tips

Options
I've seen the topic of running without pain (mostly when you're very large, or really out of shape), come up a few times here. I wanted to start a thread where we could give each other advice and tips for what helped us get started and ease away the pain.

I used to be QUEEN of shin splints and pain and here's a few things that really helped me out when running (err, jogging.)

1) Get great shoes. The best you can afford made for running. They have specific shoes for bigger runners that offer more stability and cushioning, but really just go to a running store and try styles on. Don't be afraid that they may think you're too big. I've never had any issues with staff at these places. They honestly want to help you.

2) Don't stop at the shoes! Get the best running inserts you can afford. Usually shoe makers skimp on the insoles. Ones made just for running are worth every penny and can really save your joints.

3) STRETCH! Stretch before, during and after.

4) GO SLOW! If you're jogging and in pain, stop and walk. You need to work up to running and it shouldn't hurt!

5) Check your form. It's very easy to over-extend your legs and that can lead to major problems. Your foot should be landing under your knee when you run/jog, not in front of it. Keep your legs under your body, your back straight, head facing front (not looking down at your feet), shoulders back, arms no higher than your waist, elbows bent and hands lightly cupped like you're holding an egg in each palm.

6) BREATHE! Get your breath into a rhythm and pay attention to it. If you start panting or gasping, you're going too fast.

I know how frustrating it is to want to strap on those shoes and take off like everyone else, but really work your way up to it and pay close attention to your body. If you have any old injuries or delicate joints, braces can be your best friend. Don't forget that lovely epsom salt soak for when you're done! And have a great time.

Replies

• cameralinds
    Options
    To avoid side splints, you're also supposed to exhale as your left food hits the ground.
    To avoid putting so much pressure on your liver.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    To avoid side splints, you're also supposed to exhale as your left food hits the ground.

I've been running for 25 years, and have never heard that one. Interesting.
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I am suffering from painful shin splints right now =/ My shoes are fairly new, they no have where near the miles they should when you switch them out. But I think I might have just gotten a bad pair....Thanks again for the tips!
  • Sbmtx
    Sbmtx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well my issue is not really a pain but more discomfort. I have asked around and even looked online but not sure if my idea will work. So I am starting to run again. It's been 10+ years. I have slowly been adding in little bursts of jogging into my normal walking routine. I've noticed it before but last night was the worst. I feel like my insides are slamming down every time my feet touch the ground. I know it's not "the girls" cause they are locked in tight. I asked today in the office because there are 2 people here who run. 1 is a very fit guy and the other is a lady like me who is just starting out and has a few extra lbs. The guy says he feels nothing like what I am describing. The lady said she does. Which makes me think it is those few extra lbs in the middle.
    Any tips for this? Besides lose it....I am working on that.
    Would a tighter shirt work?
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I've never heard of that. I don't really understand how pressure on the liver causes shin splints. I am by no means refuting it as I just don't understand. Perhaps you can elaborate?
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

I've never heard of that. I don't really understand how pressure on the liver causes shin splints. I am by no means refuting it as I just don't understand. Perhaps you can elaborate?

I think we are reading "Shin splints", when the author is saying "side splints" aka. side stitch. Two completely different issues. Side stitches are diaphragm related spasms, and are relieved through stretches and certain breathing techniques. And yes, the liver comes into play with "side stitches".
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options

That's really interesting! I hadn't heard that one before.
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I am suffering from painful shin splints right now =/ My shoes are fairly new, they no have where near the miles they should when you switch them out. But I think I might have just gotten a bad pair....Thanks again for the tips!

Maybe try a new insole in them? One just for running. Amazon had a lot to choose from, but so does Big 5 (if you have one).
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    Well my issue is not really a pain but more discomfort. I have asked around and even looked online but not sure if my idea will work. So I am starting to run again. It's been 10+ years. I have slowly been adding in little bursts of jogging into my normal walking routine. I've noticed it before but last night was the worst. I feel like my insides are slamming down every time my feet touch the ground. I know it's not "the girls" cause they are locked in tight. I asked today in the office because there are 2 people here who run. 1 is a very fit guy and the other is a lady like me who is just starting out and has a few extra lbs. The guy says he feels nothing like what I am describing. The lady said she does. Which makes me think it is those few extra lbs in the middle.
    Any tips for this? Besides lose it....I am working on that.
    Would a tighter shirt work?

That's really interesting and I don't blame you for being put off of running from it. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Maybe just try to reign it in a little. Make sure you aren't slapping your food down hard and maybe see if it's better on different terrain. Like I had more pain running on a street or sidewalk, but could go forever on grass.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I had the same problem, and it really worried me for awhile. But I found that when I started doing tough core workouts, esp. Back and abdominals.... The discomfort went away. :)