Deloading after a break?

Options
Some unforseen events have happened and I'm forced to take about a week off. I suppose that's a good thing because I haven't really taken more than a 3 day break from lifting.

My question, should I deload when going back into it or should I just pick up from where I left off?

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    De-loading is usually done after a particularly heavy cycle or phase in a cycle. It is something that can be scheduled at a fixed point in your training schedule or it can be a self-regulation thing. Taking a week off - for most - is usually nothing more than a nice break that - depending on how you have been training - would likely mitigate some accumulated fatigue. One week off should not affect growth or strength. So, all things being equal, you should be able to pick right up where you left off (again, depending on where you were in your training cycle).

If I might ask - why are you asking about a de-load at this point? Just curious.....

• blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    De-loading is usually done after a particularly heavy cycle or phase in a cycle. It is something that can be scheduled at a fixed point in your training schedule or it can be a self-regulation thing. Taking a week off - for most - is usually nothing more than a nice break that - depending on how you have been training - would likely mitigate some accumulated fatigue. One week off should not affect growth or strength. So, all things being equal, you should be able to pick right up where you left off (again, depending on where you were in your training cycle).

If I might ask - why are you asking about a de-load at this point? Just curious.....

I'm new to all of this. I just started SL 2 months-ish ago and my knowledge on a lot of this isn't all that great. I only ever knew to deload 10% after failing 3x. I didn't know what to do after weeks wasn't sure if strength would be affected or anything.

But thank you for the answer. I am not at a point where I'm having difficulty so Ill start off where I was!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Ah....you are doing Strong Lifts 5x5? I did that for about two+ months. I really enjoyed that program.

So, in the context of that program, you reduce the weight by 10% - if I remember correctly - for the exercise that you failed to complete the 5x5 three times. I do not remember all the details at this point, but dont you also "drop down" from a 5x5 to a 3x5 at some point, too?

Anyway, enjoy that program and your gains!

Just curious - but how are you doing in that program?
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    Ah....you are doing Strong Lifts 5x5? I did that for about two+ months. I really enjoyed that program.

So, in the context of that program, you reduce the weight by 10% - if I remember correctly - for the exercise that you failed to complete the 5x5 three times. I do not remember all the details at this point, but dont you also "drop down" from a 5x5 to a 3x5 at some point, too?

Anyway, enjoy that program and your gains!

Just curious - but how are you doing in that program?

Youre correct, you reduce the weight by 10% after failing 5x5 3 times. I'm unsure about dropping to 3x5 as I'm only 2 months in to it.

I'd say I'm doing alright. It's the first program I've ever done. I have deloaded a few times but I am improving slowly! I've went from:

Squat: 45 -> 135
    Bench Press 45 -> 105
    Deadlift 95 -> 205
    OHP 45 -> 85
    BB Row 65 -> 130

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    AWESOME! Glad that it is working for you. You know, the SL 5x5 was honestly the ONLY program that I have ever followed. I usually do my own thing (which may be a HUGE problem, lol!).

Do you use the app for you phone? I LOVED THAT. I do not take my phone into the gym but when I was doing this I absolutely did. And, this is putting the cart before the horse, but when you have completed (and that is not really the correct word for this - or any - program) there is an intermediate program, too.

Take it from someone who has spent seven or eight months on the sidelines in the last 18 months (can I spell E G O? Apparently, not!) that taking it slow and steady is absolutely the proper mind set. I tend to over train and that - for what I was doing - led to injuries.

If I might ask, why did you pick Strong Lifts 5x5? It is very popular (which was a huge part in my decision making process)......

I also am doing power lifting.....it is not a great program for power lifters (tons of reasons) but it is a really good introduction (in my opinion).
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It’s a good time to do CAT training. Compensate weight for speed. You can squat 60% so nothing that’s too taxing and do a 5x5. The point of the program is how you move the weight. You want to accelerate the bar and be as explosive as possible where as the common tendency is to ride the weight after you’re out of the hole.

Wouldn’t do for bench as it is an aggressive movement and if not warmed up properly something can easily be strained!

There’s a few articles on it. I did it when I had my hernia surgery I also shortened my rest time by 20 seconds every workout so what I did in 20 min I finished doing in 7-8
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    AWESOME! Glad that it is working for you. You know, the SL 5x5 was honestly the ONLY program that I have ever followed. I usually do my own thing (which may be a HUGE problem, lol!).

Do you use the app for you phone? I LOVED THAT. I do not take my phone into the gym but when I was doing this I absolutely did. And, this is putting the cart before the horse, but when you have completed (and that is not really the correct word for this - or any - program) there is an intermediate program, too.

Take it from someone who has spent seven or eight months on the sidelines in the last 18 months (can I spell E G O? Apparently, not!) that taking it slow and steady is absolutely the proper mind set. I tend to over train and that - for what I was doing - led to injuries.

If I might ask, why did you pick Strong Lifts 5x5? It is very popular (which was a huge part in my decision making process)......

I also am doing power lifting.....it is not a great program for power lifters (tons of reasons) but it is a really good introduction (in my opinion).

Yeah the app is great! It literally tells you what to do, your only job is to lift the weight and to input how many reps you've completed.

I chose Stronglifts because it doesn't require much equipment and it seemed simple to follow (especially with the app)

I ended up making a nice little home gym in my basement, again not much equipment needed. Power rack, plates, bar, bench, shoes. I also enjoy the fact that it's all free weight. For some reason I don't really like doing any lifting with machines. I feel stronger knowing I can move the weight myself. (Though that's just me, if people get the results and enjoy using machines that's completely fine!)
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    dont you also "drop down" from a 5x5 to a 3x5 at some point, too?

I believe these are different versions of the program. I did one where the first x weeks were 5x5, then it was 3x5 and then 1x5 for the final week or so. This is at least 3 years ago so I don't remember exactly the deets. Don't think that version had the 10% rule, but that would make sense considering it played around with the number of sets so often you would never fail 5x5 three times
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb.

Less than 2 weeks-Pick up where you left off
    Less than 6 weeks-25-30%
    More than 6 weeks aggregate in 3 months, 25-30%. Basically, this is what caught me and got me injured was I ended up travelling and having spotty training due to that, and ended up missing a week or 2 here and there and a session or 2 here and there and when I finally got back to it regularly, the aggregate hurt me.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    So, I looked at the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. Specifically, the Deload section. Here is a "copy and paste" regarding a couple of things....this might be useful for some folks:

Example – you failed to Squat 100kg/220lb for 5×5 three workouts in a row. You missed reps on one or several sets for three workouts. Next time you Squat don’t try to get 5×5 with 100kg/220lb again. Deload instead. Lower the weight by 10% on Squats and do 90kg/200lb for 5×5 next workout.

Only deload on the exercise you failed. So if you fail to Squat 5×5 but did 5×5 on Bench and Row, then only deload on Squat. And if you fail three workouts in a row on Squat, but only failed one workout on Bench, then deload on Squat but repeat the weight on the Bench Press.

Switch to three sets of five reps (3×5) when progress on 5×5 stops. Switch to three sets of three reps (3×3) when progress on 3×5 stops. Switch to one heavy set of three reps followed by two lighter back-off sets (1×3) when progress on 3×3 stops. Don’t do endless deloads so you can stick with 5×5.

Anyway, there it is. There is a lot more listed, but that is the nuts and bolts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Taking a week off is by definition taking a deload in itself.

You dissipated fatigue and possibly strength very slightly though it probably won't be noticeable.

I would just step back to the weight or extremely close(<5%) to where you left off.

You could also set first one or two sets at scheduled weight and if there're any signs of over shooting that weight, then lower the last few sets by 10%. Very reasonabe option.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Taking a week off is by definition taking a deload in itself.

You dissipated fatigue and possibly strength very slightly though it probably won't be noticeable.

I would just step back to the weight or extremely close(<5%) to where you left off.

You could also set first one or two sets at scheduled weight and if there're any signs of over shooting that weight, then lower the last few sets by 10%. Very reasonabe option.

YES SIR! Very good idea!