How much should I lose

Options
I need help. I am trying to make some goals for myself other than just the main big number on the scale. I can't really decide what is best.

I was going to make my goal to lose 25 lbs by the end of December. I started at 204 & am now at 192. I was planning on writing down my goal as losing 5 lbs a month to put me down to about 170 by the end of Dec. I always have this problem of underestimating myself. So, now I'm wondering if I was just planning on making this goal because I think it would easiest to get to & I won't be forced to work *too* hard. I started on June 24th & have been doing well so far, I'm down 12lbs. I don't plan on slacking. I regularly come in under calories goals & I exercise every day. I know when you have more to lose it comes off quicker. I have 52 more lbs to lose.

I guess my question is: Am I just underestimating myself again, or is 25lbs completely logical?

Replies

• Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would say start with a goal of 25 lbs and then reevaluate half way there. Sometimes it is harder to get the weight off once you are further into a program. There is nothing wrong with settng attainable goals.
  • sarahwebb81
    Options
    At first I set my goal to lose about a pound a week, or 5 pounds a month like you said. But as I got into a good routine I found that I was burning close to 2 pounds a week. So I agree that you should start with what you think is attainable and then if you find that it is pretty easy for you, you can set your goal a little higher to push yourself.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to focus on habit goals as opposed to weight goals. I find that setting a target weight by a certain date to be problematic.
    What happens if you reach a plateau?
    What happens if your rate of weight loss slows as you get closer to your goal weight?
    What does it mean if you don't reach your weight goal by that date?

Not making a weight goal doesn't necessarily mean you were screwing up or doing the wrong thing.

For me, I worry that not making weight will get me discouraged and want to give up.

How about fitness related goals? Train so you can run a mile in 15 minutes or less, or make it a part of your daily routine to take a walk after lunch.

Just a thought.
  • jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would say start with a goal of 25 lbs and then reevaluate half way there. Sometimes it is harder to get the weight off once you are further into a program. There is nothing wrong with settng attainable goals.

completely agree!