Losing fat but jigglier than ever

Options
Hi everyone - wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

I am 5ft5 and started at 62kg 4 weeks ago. There is no question that I am weighing food and logging accurately so I know I’m losing fat (waist size has come down also) but my whole body feels so, jiggly!!!

I obviously always had flab to grab but it feels MUCH jigglier now.... hard to explain. What is this? Is it anything to do with muscle tone? Part of the process of losing fat?

Just really curious about this. Thanks :)

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Not sure about it being water leaving the cells, but jiggly fat seems to be common during weight loss and often becomes a nice big whoosh.
  • willsreb
    willsreb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! That’s reassuring, and interesting!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I had this, my way of thinking was that the areas that jiggled were previously stuffed so tight with fat so they couldn't jiggle. As the fat starts to reduce the skin doesn't snap back as fast, so it jiggle.

Yeah that’s my thinking as well.
  • willsreb
    willsreb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I had this, my way of thinking was that the areas that jiggled were previously stuffed so tight with fat so they couldn't jiggle. As the fat starts to reduce the skin doesn't snap back as fast, so it jiggle.

Interesting! How long did it take to go back to normal? Or is it a continuous cycle during the weight loss process?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I also think it is loose skin.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from Lyle McDonald that may explain what is happening.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

That being said, it is never too soon to start resistance training to tighten and firm up and preserve maximum muscle mass.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    yup, seems to happen to me. The fat gets softer and "squishier" before it actually seems to go away. It's a good sign for me that things are thinking about taking a permanent vacation :)
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am also 5' 5" and started at around 140lbs. I have found my body starts looking "worse" before it looks better.
    I made it down to 122lbs before I thought "wow, I look great", then I celebrated with a 4 day binge.... duh

Currently I am sitting a 128lbs and feel kinda flabby again, but I'm getting back down to where I want to be again slowly but surely! This time I intend to celebrate in some other way other than food!!
  • Katttie89
    Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Resistance training....im curious, I already do abit of strength training when I can. I'm new to all this and looking to tone up.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Resistance training....im curious, I already do abit of strength training when I can. I'm new to all this and looking to tone up.

Strength training is a kind of resistance training. Weight training is the most common form, although not the only form, of resistance training.

A loose definition is to provide a pattern of increasing resistance to your muscles to cause them to condition, and possibly grow in the right circumstance. But that growth thing is a whole other subject and doesn't happen to any large degree in calorie deficit.

Working the muscles through resistance training minimizes muscle loss during weight loss and puts the focus on fat loss. It also makes us more functional, healthier and looking much more sexypants once we've lost some fat!

There are many threads of folks who didn't employ resistance training along the way who are dissatisfied with the appearance of their body once they hit goal weight. so,don't be that guy! (or girl!) It is much harder to replace lost muscle tissue than to keep what you got.

Recent research indicates it is optimum to hit all muscle groups 2x per week. There are many ways to accomplish this.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Here is an article from Lyle McDonald that may explain what is happening.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

That being said, it is never too soon to start resistance training to tighten and firm up and preserve maximum muscle mass.

This is just about the only time that i don't think that Lyle offered the correct explanation, and from what I recall of that article, he didn't sound *that* convinced himself about water getting stored in fat cells!

Plus we also had someone subsequently explain in an mfp post how it was unlikely for water to be taken into fat cells...

So for now *I* would go with "we know it happens; but, are not 100% sure as to how!"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The other time I witnessed the jiggly belly was right after delivery of my babies. The little six pounders were finally out, and the previously taut belly jiggled around like a deflated balloon. The belly did tighten up somewhat, helped along by some pretty powerful hormones.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I’m going through the ‘jiggly’ stage again. I noticed after the first 10kg I felt like that but it got better? Or evened out or whatever our strange bodies do. Hopefully with some strength training I’m going to start committing to it will get better.