No weight loss for 2 weeks!!

Options
Hi so... I started my calorie controlled diet in February and also signed up to the gym then too.. and every week since then I have been loosing 1/2 lb a week mostly 2lb a week. So far I have lost 1 stone 10lb. I got weighed last Friday and I stayed the same as the week before but I wasn’t too disheartened as I knew I had a treat night on the weekend before. Anyways this week I have I have been eating well and been going to the gym and spending longer there than I usually do. Also I have been walking about a lot this week and I just got weighed today and I was the same as last week and the week before so i have maintained for 2 weeks now!

I weigh all of my food on scales & count my calories so really disheartened this week!!

Has this Happened to anyone else??

Replies

• tormikoskiterhi
    tormikoskiterhi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe its because you have added exercise? Muscles getting used to new things and keeping more water in them?
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi so... I started my calorie controlled diet in February and also signed up to the gym then too.. and every week since then I have been loosing 1/2 lb a week mostly 2lb a week. So far I have lost 1 stone 10lb. I got weighed last Friday and I stayed the same as the week before but I wasn’t too disheartened as I knew I had a treat night on the weekend before. Anyways this week I have I have been eating well and been going to the gym and spending longer there than I usually do. Also I have been walking about a lot this week and I just got weighed today and I was the same as last week and the week before so i have maintained for 2 weeks now!

I weigh all of my food on scales & count my calories so really disheartened this week!!

Has this Happened to anyone else??

I'd say the majority of people on the boards have experienced it, use the search function and you'll see hundreds of posts about it.
  • tormikoskiterhi
    tormikoskiterhi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this is probably stupid thing to ask but I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm sure you have adjusted your calories to your new weight?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks is pretty typical to think you're in a stall if you're not weighing daily to trend fluctuations in water/waste retention. Sodium intake, carb level, hydration, exercise timing, and hormone cycles all have an impact on scale weight. Some additional glycogen retention could also be expected from exercising a little more, but I wouldn't expect that much from just putting in a little extra effort since you've been going since February. Have you adjusted your calories at all since you've lost (if my math is right) 24 lbs? Your total calorie demand drops since there's less of you to power, that amount of weight equates to roughly a 130 calorie drop. Overall, weight loss isn't linear, you need to adjust your calories for the weight you've already lost, and put trust in the process.
  • paigethurlow95
    paigethurlow95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this is probably stupid thing to ask but I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm sure you have adjusted your calories to your new weight?

Yeah so I am 1200 and I can’t go any lower than that. I’ve really worked my butt of at the gym this week so I was a bit gutted to see the same weight again. Never mind this won’t set me back I’ll just have to work even harder next week! When i go to the gym I have been eating back calories from the gym as a lot of people have told me I should be eating them back
  • paigethurlow95
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    2-3 weeks is pretty typical to think you're in a stall if you're not weighing daily to trend fluctuations in water/waste retention. Sodium intake, carb level, hydration, exercise timing, and hormone cycles all have an impact on scale weight. Some additional glycogen retention could also be expected from exercising a little more, but I wouldn't expect that much from just putting in a little extra effort since you've been going since February. Have you adjusted your calories at all since you've lost (if my math is right) 24 lbs? Your total calorie demand drops since there's less of you to power, that amount of weight equates to roughly a 130 calorie drop. Overall, weight loss isn't linear, you need to adjust your calories for the weight you've already lost, and put trust in the process.

Every week I have lost 1-2lb since doing this in February and that has worked for me so what I’m wondering is why it has stopped now. Since I started I have eat 1200 calories a day and more when I go to the gym. And women arnt recommend to eat less than 1200 a day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you approaching TOM? That could be a reason, plus the increase in exercise.

What are your stats? 1200 is quite low.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Yeah so I am 1200 and I can’t go any lower than that. I’ve really worked my butt of at the gym this week so I was a bit gutted to see the same weight again. Never mind this won’t set me back I’ll just have to work even harder next week! When i go to the gym I have been eating back calories from the gym as a lot of people have told me I should be eating them back

This is probably where your issue is coming from. Most calculators and fitness devices WAY overestimate the amount of calories you are burning, so a lot of folks will recommend only eating back a portion of your exercise calories burned to err on the side of caution. Some folks don't eat any of them back if they aren't hungry and feel they don't need them to fuel the additional workouts.

Maybe try adjusting your philosophy around this piece for a few weeks and see how things shake out? Other than that it sounds like you are right on point and doing great!
  • paigethurlow95
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Oh yes I never thought that could be the reason. Thanks! Yes 1200 is my calorie goal a day. However if I’m going to the gym I do eat a little more as apparently you should eat back the calories you’ve burned?
  • paigethurlow95
    Options

I thought by increasing my exercise I would loose more weight
  • steveko89
    Options

Agree with @briscogun on this. I'd start with eating back half of whatever you're getting as exercise calories. Sorry I overlooked the 1200 calorie/day bit when talking about adjusting your calories. That said, eating the same amount at this lower weight is resulting in a smaller deficit and subsequently a lower loss rate.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Generally, eating at a deficit causes weight loss, exercise gives your health benefits (cardiovascular, muscle growth, etc).
  • paigethurlow95
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

This is probably where your issue is coming from. Most calculators and fitness devices WAY overestimate the amount of calories you are burning, so a lot of folks will recommend only eating back a portion of your exercise calories burned to err on the side of caution. Some folks don't eat any of them back if they aren't hungry and feel they don't need them to fuel the additional workouts.

Maybe try adjusting your philosophy around this piece for a few weeks and see how things shake out? Other than that it sounds like you are right on point and doing great!

Ah thanks so much!! So if I don’t feel hungry I don’t have to eat them back ? I always thought I had too. And say I am a little hungry after exercising if I burn around 600 calories maybe only eat about 200 calorie back?
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Along with the introduction of exercise and the timing of the TOM, keep in mind that weight loss is not linear and it's definitely not consistent. Please be patient and it'll all start moving in the direction you're wanting.
  • steveko89
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

Ah thanks so much!! So if I don’t feel hungry I don’t have to eat them back ? I always thought I had too. And say I am a little hungry after exercising if I burn around 600 calories maybe only eat about 200 calorie back?

I think that would be a good place to start. Back-calculating my TDEE by weight, the extra I get from exercise works out to be between 1/3 and 1/2 of what my heart rate monitor says.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Over time, yes, by increasing your calorie deficit. But in the short-term, your muscles respond to increases in activity by holding more water for repair and recovery. It's common for that to stick around for up to six weeks or so.

It doesn't mean that you should stop working out, but it is a factor that you need to be aware of.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Yes, but it isn’t necessarily a good thing. Too much of a deficit can lead to increased muscle loss and potential health issues that develop from malnutrition.