Dairy free breakfast?

Options
AndreaDovick
AndreaDovick Posts: 5 Member
Hi all! I'm about to go dairy free for my 19 week old son. We're pretty sure he has a cow's milk protein sensitivity, so I need to cut ALL milk and milk products from my diet. I'm struggling with what to eat for breakfast. My go-to's all have some sort of dairy! Obviously eggs are the best option, but I get so bored of eggs so fast. Any suggestions?
Also any suggestions for delicious snacks and other meals that are dairy free are welcome, but breakfast is my real struggle.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I find disregarding "normal" breakfast meals helps - just think of it as another meal. You can eat what you like!

Finding alternatives to your dairy products could help - coconut, soy or goats milk yoghurt, milk alternatives (almond, cashew, coconut, rice etc), sheep/goats cheese or vegan cheese ... .
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't often eat breakfast, but oatmeal (w/ almond, soy*, coconut, ripple*, whatever milk-alternative) would be good options. I wouldn't limit myself to 'breakfast foods', though. It might be good to verify that milk protein is the problem, though.

* These options have a decent amount of protein, if that's something important to you
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Make stuff using almond, coconut, or soy milk. They even make dairy free "butter" that actually tastes good. Now, if your son is allergic to the protiens found in milk, be very careful with bread: read that ingredient list diligently!
    Also, who ever said you have to have "breakfast" foods for breakfast??? Nothing wrong with having tacos for breakfast.
  • AndreaDovick
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I don't often eat breakfast, but oatmeal (w/ almond, soy*, coconut, ripple*, whatever milk-alternative) would be good options. I wouldn't limit myself to 'breakfast foods', though. It might be good to verify that milk protein is the problem, though.

* These options have a decent amount of protein, if that's something important to you

Unfortunately, the best way to tell if it's the milk protein is to do an elimination diet.
    As for non-breakfast foods... I could do that. My boys would freak out a bit though, I can hear it now "no, mommy! That's for lunch, not brekfrest!"
  • AndreaDovick
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    be very careful with bread: read that ingredient list diligently!
    Also, who ever said you have to have "breakfast" foods for breakfast??? Nothing wrong with having tacos for breakfast.
    I make my own bread, so no issues there!
    Cheese is integral to my taco making, otherwise I'd be aaaaall over that, lol! And I'm scared of non-dairy cheese...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Banana with peanut butter
    Eggs
    Oatmeal or farina made with water
    Rice
    Pasta
    Vegetables
    Fruit
    Soup
    Tortillas
    Beans
    Meat
    Soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

Unfortunately, the best way to tell if it's the milk protein is to do an elimination diet.
    As for non-breakfast foods... I could do that. My boys would freak out a bit though, I can hear it now "no, mommy! That's for lunch, not brekfrest!"

You could make it a lesson in how not everyone around the world eats the same foods for breakfast.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/breakfasts-around-the-world?utm_term=.hseMZ8jK7#.ccxKDLOyN
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    be very careful with bread: read that ingredient list diligently!
    I make my own bread, so no issues there!
    Cheese is integral to my taco making, otherwise I'd be aaaaall over that, lol! And I'm scared of non-dairy cheese...

Um, I eat tacos all the time (I'm Latina 1/2 Mexican decent), without cheese. Two days ago I made fish tacos: pan fried tilapia with lime, cilantro, salt & pepper. Top with cucumbers, cabage, and vegan yogurt mixed with chives and dill (tastes exactly like regular Greek yogurt).

Steak tacos: finely chopped steak, marinated. Toppings are cucumbers and avocado.

Bean and avocado tacos: exactly what they sound like. Tortilla, mashed beans, charro beans, avocado.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Vanilla soy milk, almond milk, rice milk. Personally not a fan of hemp milk but people like that too.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I cannot vouch if they are totally dairy free (i'm intolerant, not allergic, so not as strict) but I have "Harvestsnaps Pea Crisps" and "RW Garcia Sweet potato crackers" for my work snacks. Can have a large amount for low calorie (peas = 170 for 22 pieces, crackers = 140 for 16 pieces), and replaces that itch for potato chips!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Arepas are just corn and water (kind of a corn-based english muffin) - so would be fine..with some sausage/egg scramble on it. Also, corn meal porridge is pretty good if you add some sugar.

Alternative milks (lots of them listed above) if you normally do cereal.

Oatmeal. Some/most granola bars are probably dairy free. Home-made granola would be fine if you didn't add any optional stuff with dairy.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to use my instant pot is to slow cook overnight steel cut oats in it. No reason you need to add milk to them. I like cinnamon, raisins, and a little brown sugar in mine. I've also done dried cranberries with some chopped nuts on top.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Asian breakfast are dairy free. All Asian meals actually, since drinking milk of other mammals is considered a bit perverse. Congee with egg and egg drop noodle soup come to mind. Google asian breakfast.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    coconut milk/ almond yogurts or milks. taste great in coffee and soy creamer tastes great in mash potatoes. i usually have coffee. u can have hashbrowns with vegan butter/ vegetarian. maybe an egg with veggies. hummus. vegan butter tastes very good
  • dianne_demars
    dianne_demars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,
    I'm in the same boat as you. My daughter has a severe dairy allergy so I will tell you all about her favorite things, she is 3.
    Whole foods: There are tons of vegan cereals, Vegan Yogurts and Vegan Butters that are soy free, dairy free and super yummy! Defenatly check them out if you haven't already. They also have vegan cream style cheeses that are amazing for cooking fettachini style dishes.. and did I mention the vegan macaroni and cheese in the dry food section...amazing! They have vegan cakes and so much more.

Trader Joes has a vegan granola option and they have vegan cultured coconut yogurts, super amazing...I also love the coconut whipped cream from trader joes. I make vegan pancakes with strawberries on top and a little dollop of that whipped cream on top soooo good!

I love to make the girls a probiotic rich smoothie for breakfast. Probiotics are so good for dairy sensitive kids because it helps develop their stomache bacteria. I'm still with the hopes that someday they will be able to tolerate dairy. I chose a dairy free variety available at rite aid or whole foods cheaper at rite aid. Good luck girly!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Toast or English muffin with egg or peanut butter.

Oatmeal or grits.

Cereal with almond or soy milk.

Protein bar or shake.

You can mix up your eggs. I make egg with beans, veggie scrambles, baked egg cups, etc.

Leftovers from dinner.

Pancakes or waffles.

Fruit of course.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas, thanks!
  • AndreaDovick
    Options
    What great ideas, thanks!

Right? I've gotten some good suggestions here. Thank you everyone!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my breakfasts to 300 calories and under. This morning I made a fried egg and had it on a piece of 9-grain whole wheat toast.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Due to food sensitivities I am (mostly) dairy, egg, soy, and wheat free. My favorite breakfast is Silk almondmilk vanilla yogurt w/ berries and nuts. Today I had it with a sliced banana and chopped walnuts and it was divine! I also include bacon or a turkey sausage patty occasionally.

I can't eat eggs any more but one of my favorite breakfasts used to be a taco omelet--leftover taco meat cooked inside of an omelet and topped with lettuce and tomatoes. No cheese necessary!

Other snacks I like are:
    Nuts of all kinds
    Peanut butter w/ celery
    Turkey pepperoni, especially baked in the broiler until crunchy
    Dried fruit