I don't look the weight I am?

Options
Can anyone tell me why this would be as its something I've always had an issue with. I'm 6ft 173lbs. Having a conversation with a work colleague during the week and he said he weighed himself the previous night and he was 177lbs. Now the guy is roughly 5'5 or. He doesn't work out or anything and just looks average, I'd say roughly 15% bf.

I told him my weight and he didn't believe me, none of my colleagues did so off we trotted to the parcel postage scales and jumped on, Fully clothed I was 175lbs he was 179lbs, I was actually the lightest out of the 6 of us. I do get what they were getting at though as I don't look the weight I am, They question is why would this be?

I think with most folk fat etc is evenly distributed over there body, with me though my limbs are anorexic with most of the fat being in my belly and chest which in a t-shirt makes me look pudgy which probably makes me look fatter than I actually am.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Just for clarification, you think people think you look heavier than you are?

Pictures may be useful...?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I might be misunderstanding your question. Was your question- why do people think I am lighter than what I am? Or why am I lighter than my coworkers?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Body composition will have a huge effect. The amount of muscle mass you have can make you look heavier vs leaner than you are. I have photos of myself at a lower weight but high bodyfat, vs 15lb heavier now where I actually look much leaner .. all due to body composition changes (more muscle).
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, you think people think you look heavier than you are?

Pictures may be useful...?

Just the one n1aqxmwp7nlx.jpg

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading you right, you're saying that your colleagues think you're heavier than you actually are.

Which... Well, pissing contests can be weird.

But you've had a history of pretty extreme methods for weight loss, right?

Probably a muscle-related thing. It's not "skinny fat" -- largely because I hate that term -- but you haven't focused enough on training and keeping your muscles.

True, I didn't have a clue what I was doing and by the time I caught on the damage was already done.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Maybe begin a progressive lifting program
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a large part in the number of muscle fibers that you're born with. If you and some random guy never hit the gym yet you have different body compositions then it's not necessarily your fault. On the other hand, if it really bothers you, there's nothing stopping you from body building either.