I did Keto aka Atkins years ago, Winning!

HI everyone, not sure about the common belief but I was 157lb's and lost 55lbs in 3 months eating bacon and eggs, cheese omelet's, hotdogs, steak. Mayo, pork rinds and Tab soda. Granted it was high fat but it worked. I no most would disagree with how I lost it but SUGAR and CARBS removed and the weight flew off. So just on that merit I feel the Keto and Atkins diets work and work fast.
If I was to do it again I'd surely eat less processed forms of fat and protien, organic meats, no sodas ect but again without the SUGAR n CARBS your body will strip off the fat. Hope this helps someone.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    HI everyone, not sure about the common belief but I was 157lb's and lost 55lbs in 3 months eating bacon and eggs, cheese omelet's, hotdogs, steak. Mayo, pork rinds and Tab soda. Granted it was high fat but it worked. I no most would disagree with how I lost it but SUGAR and CARBS removed and the weight flew off. So just on that merit I feel the Keto and Atkins diets work and work fast.
    If I was to do it again I'd surely eat less processed forms of fat and protien, organic meats, no sodas ect but again without the SUGAR n CARBS your body will strip off the fat. Hope this helps someone.

I'm glad you found a way of eating that worked for you, but you lost weight because you ate fewer calories than you expended. It had nothing to do with sugar, carbs or processed food.

Out of curiosity how long have you maintained your (very impressive) weight loss? Are you still eating keto?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Well done on your success. Keto (or even just low carb) is a great way for a lot of people to control their calorie input intuitively.

I hope you continue winning
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Congrats! Glad it worked so well for you. :)

Are you continuing with some sort of low carb for maintenance or switching back to a higher carb level?
  • misszschokke
    misszschokke Posts: 5 Member
    All perfect examples of how different we all are. There is a way for each of us.....let's celebrate when someone finds what works for him/her.

I was doing Keto, gave up on it about a week ago (training sessions SUCKED!!!!) but am back to Keto after some helpful information from others. I just need to be a bit more patient.

Keto is not for everyone. I totally understand how lots of people would consider effectively removing carbs from one's diet would spell DISASTER for most. I love me some carbs.....dang it I miss that food. But, carbs do not love my body. Gotta be healthy to have a chance of getting fit, right?

Anyway, to those for whom Keto (or, honestly, any diet or lifestyle) works - more props to you. To those for whom Keto (or, again, any diet or lifestyle) does not work.....check that off the list and move on to the next! This is one data point on the "what works - and does not work - for me" list!

Well said. I agree we can all try and try again until we find what works. This will be my second Atkins or Keto type weightless adventure and I've learned Fat like organic butter or heavy whipping cream while I'm Fat is my friend and triggers my body to not store fat and send a full signal to my belly, something eating a bowl of spaghetti would not do. I LOVE CARBS!!!
    I found DrBerg on youtube he is a keto advacate and Dr of 30 yrs, he taught me why i stored fat like 1000x more than normal. Check him out if you have some time, also watch Candy Coated if you can on netflix it's a shocker.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    So you tried, had success, then failed. So now you try again with the same nonsense because of some quack on Youtube? Good luck.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

@misszschokke that is impressive. While I did not go LCHF to lose weight back in Oct 2014 after a couple months the weight just started dropping. In my case all I did was just cut out foods containing added sugar and any form of any grain but eating so I was staying full all of the time. The binging on high carb high fat food desire quickly started to fade away after I realized it was my Way Of Eating that was driving my binging.

My joint and muscle pain started to decline steeply in just 30 days so I did not need to start the Enbrel injections. 40 years of IBS resolved in the first 6 months of eating this WOE and all my other health markers continue to this day and now I am 67 with better health than 30 years ago. After losing 50 pounds I have maintained at 195 +/- 5 pounds for the past three years counting and weighing nothing but myself each morning.

While I do not promote this to the kids they are more aware that the type of calories that I eat makes me better or worse health wise.

Keep encouraging others to give it a try if they are interested. Giving up eating more than 50 grams of carbs daily made life hellish for the first two weeks but then the cravings just faded fast. This WOE has been a game changer for this old man.

Best of continued success.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited May 2018

Great you lost weight, but you lose points for the rest. You lost weight fast initially which is normally because you flushed out water weight for the most part, not fat. You lost weight because you eliminated an entire macro which in the end gave you a caloric deficit and would've given you the same results in the long run with carbs if you ate at the same number of calories. As much as I am glad you found a way to lose weight in a sustainable way, what you said is wrong and will lead many who know nothing about nutrition in thinking that carbs and sugars are the reason you lost weight when it was simply reducing the calories that directly caused you to lose weight.

In the end, you chose the diet that helps you stay in a caloric deficit, if it's keto like in your case, so be it....but there is no best fat loss diet. Every diet have their strength and weaknesses, but for fat loss, they are all the same.