Nutritional advice needed

Options
Greetings!

I am trying desperately to get to 100 kg. Currently I am 107. While I have a good trainer and exercise routine, I need nutritional advice.

I have stopped eating noodles of any kind, rice, breads, oils, sugar,and cheese. However I need to know what are bad carbs that I am taking in that keeps my weight from going down? I usually eat tofu with most meals, a lot of raw cabbage and other vegetables. What am I missing here?

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Replies

• layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't know about you but I find if I restrict myself from eating foods I enjoy I want them even more and have in the past binged on said food items and then felt guilty and restrict again and the cycle continued until I discovered MFP. After reading the sticky posts here and taking on board the advice given I realised you don't have to be miserable on a 'diet' and live off rabbit food. I regularly eat high fat, high carb foods such as pizza, fish and chips and even have the occasional beer. I just make sure I weigh everything and pre log so I don't go over my weekly calories (I personally think it's easier to spread the calories over the week than daily) and if I have a special occasion I bank calories and make sure I am a bit more active to allow for the extra calories I will undoubtedly consume. Slimming shouldn't be a chore as it's something you want to stick to for life, right?
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Everyone else has already said it- it’s consuming too many calories overall that is the problem, not any particular foods. Most of the foods you mentioned, I love, and eat regularly. I just make sure they are accounted for and don’t cause me to go over my calorie budget.

Some people find that cutting down carbs works for them.... as far as I’m aware, it’s another way to create a calorie deficit. If you think that will work for you, great.

But you can still lose weight by eating the above foods, as long as you remain in a calorie deficit. I have, and am continuing to do so.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate: You lose weight when you're in a calorie deficit, for real, consistently and for a long time. It may sound complicated, but it just means "eat less, move more", and MFP gave you a calorie goal at startup that gives you an appropriate deficit, and sticking to it can be done in a number of ways that will suit your lifestyle, pocketbook and personality. So "trying desperately" indicates that you're doing it wrong. Kudos for asking for help!

Now that we have covered how weightloss works - on to nutrition. A healthy diet is balanced and varied. There are no bad food, carbs, fats, sugars, etc, there's only bad amounts. A balanced and varied diet is easier to stick to than a strict and unbalanced diet, so now you have a better chance of success. But it will still be somewhat difficult to not eat too much, at least now and then. As you lose weight, weightloss slows down. You will probably miss using food as an emotional crutch. Weight management takes a lot of commitment, patience, self-compassion, and real, actual guts.