Gastroparesis vs Food Addict

Options
Trying to manage a new diagnosis, gastroparesis. Go figure a food addict like me would get this idiopathic diagnosis. I don't fit into any "typical" patients. Mainly diabetics are diagnosed due to underlying neuropathy. But I have no reason. And why would it just come out of nowhere?
I am open to suggestions on how to manage this disorder. Dietary suggestions? I am well aware that I need to eat soft, clean, easy to digest foods. I draw the line at pureeing my pizza, chili dog, etc. LOL
Thank you in advance.

P.S. if you are looking to troll move on to the next post

Replies

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I honestly never hear of it so I had to google it. I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. Maybe this site can help you? I don’t know but I wish you well and good health! https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gastroparesis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355792
  • Christi2705
    Christi2705 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We have quite a few patients with it. Best thing you can do is just eat smaller more frequent meals. Being active will increase motility and help too. If none of that helps and you are still having major issues (like vomiting) then you can ask about trialing erythromycin 2-3 times/day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised your doctor didn't give you dietary suggestions. If they didn't, how about asking for a referral to a dietitian?

Also, since you mentioned "food addict" I'll add that you might find cognitive behavioral therapy helpful to learn ways to feel more in control around food.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    @MrsGriffin67 Hey you should join our group! (Search for the Digestive Disorders Group or the DD Crew) I was diagnosed with GP 10 years ago and I didn't even know how to spell it :D You can read my bio, BUT please do not get scared by it, because we all have to do things differently. Some do well with changing their foods, some with medication (or a combination of things) and some with surgery. Eat what you can tolerate right now until you find out your next step. I'm not sure what you meant as a "food addict" but I suggest as mentioned in the above post, you need to find something constructive (positive) to do if you have in the pasted used for to help cope. Journal, take a walk, draw, read a book, something because you may not have the option to eat especially if you are emptying slowly. Anyways, it can be a challenging illness but it can be dealt with...Good Luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have idiopathic gastroparesis as well. Was diagnosed out of the blue (I also have Crohn's but that didn't cause it). I mostly live on liquids. All the literature I was given recommends low fiber and low fat as well as eating small meals several times a day.

Oh 1/3 of all people with gastroparesis have idiopathic type. I'm weird as I am pain dominant. My pain and nausea are very severe but I don't vomit often.