I'm struggling to gain any size?

Options
Frustrated with this folks, I can't seem to gain any major size. I'm 173lbs, 6ft Tall. I do have a bit of belly fat and around my chest but the rest of me is small. I do have definition around arms, lats and all the rest but they are small and fine.

I am increasing calories week by week slowly since I started my bulk in April, I'm cautious about going mad with a bulk as I was fat most of my life, I know I will gain fat quickly around my stomach and chest area which is why I'm taking it slow. I'm currently eating 2500 cals and maintaining at that, next week I'll up it to 2600 and so on.

I'm not looking a small defined look to be honest, I want to be big, broad maybe with no definition but you would know to look at me I lifted. How do I get that look?

Been running PPL for the past 6 months I should add.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I'm not looking a small defined look to be honest, I want to be big, broad maybe with no definition but you would know to look at me I lifted. How do I get that look?

1) Have the genetics for it. Which you may or may not. If you're not built big and broad, you're not going to become big and broad.

2) Assuming #1 is in place: 5 years (or more) of consistent, focused training and nutrition.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

1) Have the genetics for it. Which you may or may not. If you're not built big and broad, you're not going to become big and broad.

2) Assuming #1 is in place: 5 years (or more) of consistent, focused training and nutrition.

I think it may be genetics, I see guys with the look I'm after naturally who don't even lift. I think I'm destined for the small fine look.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Find your maintenance intake and increase it by 250 or 500 cals a day. Make sure your macros are in check, I try for 40/40/20 (P/C/F) . Then as AH posted above, let genetics and quality training and nutrition take you there, at least as far as your genetic potential will take you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I think it may be genetics, I see guys with the look I'm after naturally who don't even lift. I think I'm destined for the small fine look.

You can become the best "you" possible, but you can't become somebody else.

The diet/fitness industry makes billions of dollars selling the dream that you can have any body you want to have just by taking 'xyz' supplement or doing 'abc' workout routine. It's an alluring promise, but it's not the truth. When it comes to physique, our genetics dictate our results a lot more than our training and diet do.

That's not to say you can't make significant, even dramatic improvements in your physique, because you certainly can. But you can't become something you're not. Take a tall, lanky guy and a short, thick guy and put them on the exact same diet/training programs, and their physiques aren't going to look the same even after years of training.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Frustrated with this folks, I can't seem to gain any major size. I'm 173lbs, 6ft Tall. I do have a bit of belly fat and around my chest but the rest of me is small. I do have definition around arms, lats and all the rest but they are small and fine.

I am increasing calories week by week slowly since I started my bulk in April, I'm cautious about going mad with a bulk as I was fat most of my life, I know I will gain fat quickly around my stomach and chest area which is why I'm taking it slow. I'm currently eating 2500 cals and maintaining at that, next week I'll up it to 2600 and so on.

I know what type of look you're going for, part of it is genetics, the other is going to be bulking with a good solid lifting routine. 2,600 I don't think is going to cut it, try increasing around 3,000 a day, limit cardio, and perform mostly multi joint or compound lifts, try to improve in either reps, weight, sets, etc...each week if you can, always push yourself. Continue this for awhile. Also, creatine will help you with that look you want since it adds water to your muscles. It helped me achieve that look and I was small before. If you find that you're gianing more fat than you want to, slowly decrease the calories a bit and throw in a couple of HIIT cardio days per week. The process is somewhat of a trail and error type of method too because everyone responds somewhat differently, but at the end of the day you need to eat in surplus to build muscle ,get enough protein and push yourself and your body will transform slowly but surely, and BE CONSISTENT, don't do it half *kitten*, make sure you're dedicated and eventually the process will get a bit easier and you'll able to figure out what changes you'll need to make based on your progress and desired goals.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I know what type of look you're going for, part of it is genetics, the other is going to be bulking with a good solid lifting routine. 2,600 I don't think is going to cut it, try increasing around 3,000 a day, limit cardio, and perform mostly multi joint or compound lifts, try to improve in either reps, weight, sets, etc...each week if you can, always push yourself. Continue this for awhile. Also, creatine will help you with that look you want since it adds water to your muscles. It helped me achieve that look and I was small before. If you find that you're gianing more fat than you want to, slowly decrease the calories a bit and throw in a couple of HIIT cardio days per week. The process is somewhat of a trail and error type of method too because everyone responds somewhat differently, but at the end of the day you need to eat in surplus to build muscle ,get enough protein and push yourself and your body will transform slowly but surely, and BE CONSISTENT, don't do it half *kitten*, make sure you're dedicated and eventually the process will get a bit easier and you'll able to figure out what changes you'll need to make based on your progress and desired goals.

Thanks mate, good advice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I follow a guy on instagram with a similar physique. He might provide some inspiration on what is possible. Remember it took this guy years to get his look. He’s still lanky.

https://www.instagram.com/lankyprogresstv
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I follow a guy on instagram with a similar physique. He might provide some inspiration on what is possible. Remember it took this guy years to get his look. He’s still lanky.

https://www.instagram.com/lankyprogresstv

He has an odd look, ripped yes but awkward looking, he needs more meat on him or something
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I agree with the cal increase...I'm a 5'5" woman bulking on 2800. You gotta eat to grow.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How's your programming? Are you getting a good progressive overload? I'm 5'4" 147lb female and I find that most PPL programs don't have enough volume for me.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    How's your programming? Are you getting a good progressive overload? I'm 5'4" 147lb female and I find that most PPL programs don't have enough volume for me.

Bog standard PPL, 6 days x 6 Exercises, 3 sets, a mixture of 5-6 reps compound and 10-12 reps accessory
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Bog standard PPL, 6 days x 6 Exercises, 3 sets, a mixture of 5-6 reps compound and 10-12 reps accessory

Sounds good, remember to try and beat the previous week so if you can sqeeze in more than 6, do it and then know it's time to add on some weight. People tend to make the mistake by doing 6 and racking the weight, you can do that, shorten your rest periods, or do more sets, but I like to see how many reps I can do with certain weights. You're not going to always progress each week, you might stay at the same weight for a few weeks, that's okay, small increases will make a big impact over time.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Does sound good. And everything @seth1825 said