Bodybuilders and "Cutting" Diet

Options
I have started my "cutting" diet and I was wondering if anyone else is currently doing the same thing :) I'm looking for helpful advice, tips, support etc! In case you stumble upon this and have no idea what I am talking about it's a diet designed to lose body fat while conserving muscle. Thankx~:happy:

Replies

• agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    A cutting diet for bodybuilders really isn't all that differnet from what the average person should do. The exception is that they can handle a lot more calories and protein because of their muscle mass.

Lower calories into a deficit, get enough protein, lift weights...........get results.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding copy of "Power Eating" by Dr. Susan Kleiner. It's a nutritional reference specifically for power sports/body sculpting and includes some great nutritoinal plans for gaining, cutting, building and burning.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    my old roommate used to carb cycle:

eat low cal-low fat and low carb for three days and then on the fourth keep the low-cal/low-fat but eat ne carbs
  • katedonn5
    Options
    Hi - I see a trainer for posing diet and here is my current diet. Each time we meet, she changes my diet slightly and makes it just a little more painful :).

1800 Calories/Day + min 170 g protein
    6 meals
    That means 300 calories per meal with 30g of protein
    No dairy or alcohol

Supplements:
    Whole Food Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    ProGreens
    Liquid Mineral

Right now I have no fat or sodium limitations but I am expecting this when I see my tainer this weekend. I am supposed to lift 5 days a week and run 6. I am generally one behind on each but try to make up for it. I eat at least one protein bar a day - I am only allowed to eat the 2:1 bars which actually don't taste that bad. They have a 2:1 carb/protein ratio, 300 calories or less and hit the 30g of protein. I am allowed 1 TB of creamer in my coffee and 1 Vitamin Water 0 each day. I lost 4.5% body fat in the first month of my diet which still included dairy. Otherwise, I chose to eat an entirely clean organic diet. Besides my protein bars, I avoid all processed foods. Yes - it's hard, but the proof is in my body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I have started my "cutting" diet and I was wondering if anyone else is currently doing the same thing :) I'm looking for helpful advice, tips, support etc! In case you stumble upon this and have no idea what I am talking about it's a diet designed to lose body fat while conserving muscle. Thankx~:happy:
    Keep protein high. Get in your essential fats. Carb cycle 3 days low, 1 day high. Do cardio for about 30-45 min. first thing in the morning on empty stomach, but DO NOT exceed 65%-70% of your max heart. Lift hard and heavy as you can. Your strength won't be the same, but that's common in cutting phases. Get a good amount of rest.
    Also no junk or alcohol. Some say no dairy, but I haven't found any evidence yet that it needs to be deleted.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lift hard and heavy as you can. Your strength won't be the same, but that's common in cutting phases. Get a good amount of rest.
    Also no junk or alcohol. Some say no dairy, but I haven't found any evidence yet that it needs to be deleted.

Good post ninerbuff. A common misconception I see is that people think reps should go up and weights should go down when cutting. By doing so, you are actually promoting the one thing you are trying to avoid when cutting....loss of strength and the shrinking of your muscles.

When cutting, total lifting volume should actually go down but poundages should be as high as possible. Cutting is tough work! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Good post ninerbuff. A common misconception I see is that people think reps should go up and weights should go down when cutting. By doing so, you are actually promoting the one thing you are trying to avoid when cutting....loss of strength and the shrinking of your muscles.

When cutting, total lifting volume should actually go down but poundages should be as high as possible. Cutting is tough work! :smile:
    I competed "back in the day" and believe it or not, this information hasn't changed much at all. Carb depletion and carb up has, but to get lean has basically been the same. I wish they would have had the treadmill and ellipticals back in those days though. I always did cardio on this crappy squeaky stationary bike.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    A cutting diet for bodybuilders really isn't all that differnet from what the average person should do. The exception is that they can handle a lot more calories and protein because of their muscle mass.

Lower calories into a deficit, get enough protein, lift weights...........get results.
    Keep protein high. Get in your essential fats. Carb cycle 3 days low, 1 day high. Do cardio for about 30-45 min. first thing in the morning on empty stomach, but DO NOT exceed 65%-70% of your max heart. Lift hard and heavy as you can. Your strength won't be the same, but that's common in cutting phases. Get a good amount of rest.

Sound advice fellas! =)