Ramadan / Intermittent Fasting - May 16-June13

Options
Salam to my fellow Muslims & hello to everyone else. Let's try to keep each other motivated through this month & discuss how we're doing/what we're eating.

I'm hoping to lose about 5-8lbs during Ramadan. My goal is to have arms fit back comfortably into my shirts which have gotten uncomfortably tight.

Replies

• flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Day3 of Ramadan - I made a pot of bean/veg stew on 5/16 & I've been working through it.

The stew: was 1lb of black beans with whatever veg I had in the fridge - some mustard greens, half an eggplant, 1.5onions, 1/2 box of cut-up mushrooms, a little bit of zucchini and yellow squash and a sliver of bell-pepper, and 5-6 stems of green onions. All boiled together for 1 hour. I know that takes a lot of the nutrition away from the vegetables but I was feeling pretty lazy. Usually, I like to boil my onions with my beans then throw in the rest of the veg about 10minutes before chucking everything into the blender and making a nice puree.

5/16: vegetarian bean puree with rice (551calories) & a chopped-up cucumber. Also a yogurt-sugar drink. It was delicious and very, very filling. Calorie-wise, I think I might've hit 1000calories.

5/17: puree freshened up with some new mustard greens and onions. Eaten with a piece of flat-bread (110calories), 1 friend egg, & the yogurt-drink. Hit my 64oz of water in the 24hrs so that's a win. I don't know if I hit 1000calories yesterday.

I still got about a day's worth of that bean-puree left over, so that's what I'm having tonight with maybe some chicken and the flat-bread & the yogurt-drink.

Poo is now green & long & thin - intestinal blockage? But with what?
  • flame_retardant
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Iftar 5/18 - 2 pieces of flat bread (220 calories), 2 eggs (200 calories), bean/vegetable purée (100), yogurt-sugar drink (400 calories), breaded chicken leg (300) --> 1300calories today.
  • flame_retardant
    Options
    Iftar 5/19 - 1 flat bread (110 cal), 1 egg (100 cal), 1 breaded chicken thigh (200 cal), 1 bowl of bean/vegetable purée (100 cal), 2 spoons of sugar (150 cal). Total --> 700-800calories

I didn't eat enough yesterday & I suffered today. I felt faint the whole walk back from the grocery store - it's 20min there & 20min back. Got home & had some yogurt-drink, still felt faint.

Iftar 5/20 - 1 flat bread (110 cal), rice 150calories, 7tbsp of sugar (400cal), 2 servings of lays chips (300 cal), chicken drumstick (200 cal), 1 egg (100cal) --> 1400 calories eaten today.

Still don't think it's enough. Tomorrow I want a pizza. I still feel so faint.
  • flame_retardant
    Options
    I had a second meal tonight because I don't want to feel faint tomorrow. It was rice with other things that have already been accounted for (the chicken drumstick & the yogurt-cucumber-mix). Total calories today --> about 1600 calories. I am sleepy, but I don't feel faint. I haven't drunk enough water today.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find this so interesting :) I am not Muslim but found myself Googling to know more about Ramadan. I hope you keep posting and I wish you well on your journey!
  • flame_retardant
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks @HappyKat5 - it's a long grueling month for sure! The whole point is to be able to empathize with poor people and open yourself to charity. and it works - we have a short time to eat so it's hard to eat enough so you definitely learn what it's like to be hungry.

Iftar 5/21 - bean/vegetable with spinach purée and solid (200 cal, I guess), 1 drumstick (200 cal), 3 tbsp of sugar (150 cal), rice (400 cal) --> total calories: 1000-1100 calories. I'm pretty stuffed at the moment. Got to get to drinking some water. Didnt eat enough again so I'm dreading tomorrow.
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    @flame_retardant You must really learn how to appreciate the goods that you do get to eat when it’s time eat. Hope you have a more caloric tomorrow
  • flame_retardant
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Iftar 5/22 - steamed broccoli & some spinach, rice (500 cal), 1 chicken drumstick cooked in yogurt (200cal), 3 slices of little caesar's cheese pizza (750), 3 tbsp of sugar (200) --> 1700 calories or thereabouts today. I have been craving pizza for several days now so it was so nice to eat it today. I might have a slice or 2 more & actually hit 2000 calories today. That would be too much food for how much I'm doing.

Also, as it turns out, black beans in the quantity I'm eating is about 400calories. So everything I've eaten so far has to be adjusted up by 400 calories.

5/16 --> 1400
    5/17 --> 1000
    5/18 --> 1700
    5/19 --> 1200
    5/20 --> 1800
    5/21 --> 1300
    5/22 --> 1700

I'm staying right around an average of 1400 calories in a day, which is pretty good because I'm not doing too much in terms of activities. Need to really make it easier for myself to walk to work & back.
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    Doing well☺️ @flame_retardant May I ask, do you drink any water during your fasting period? Also, I know you can eat after sunset, but when do you stop? Midnight? Or can you eat if you wanted to until sunrise? This is very interesting
  • flame_retardant
    Options
    @HappyKat5 - thanks! We don't drink anything from sunrise till sunset either. Traditionally, people break their fast with a date (the fruit), then offer their sunset-prayers, then they eat a meal called iftar which is mostly finger foods, then the evening prayers, then eat a proper dinner. Then they'll wake up to eat "breakfast" before sunrise, pray again, then go back to sleep.

I can't be bothered with multiple meals, so I just have one HUGE caloric meal. I start eating around 8:55PM & I'm done by 9:15PM. So it's 20minutes of eating - then I'm done for the evening bc it's really filling & impossible to eat more food at that point. I drink all through out the night with the goal of hitting at least 64oz in a night.

Iftar 5/23 - 2 slices of pizza with ranch dressing (700 calories), 1 cup cooked black beans (300 calories), rice (400 calories), broccoli (steamed) and an assortment of vegetables, 1 tbsp of sugar (50 calories) --> 1450 calories.
  • flame_retardant
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Came home. My diet is pretty much out the window while I'm here - I'm going to keep at <2000 calories a day while I'm home with my parents.

For completeness sake:
    5/24 - Arby's lamb gyro with french fries & coke (1200 calories, I guess), rice, chicken, vegetable, some kinda bean stew (700 calories) - 1900 calories
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Came home. My diet is pretty much out the window while I'm here - I'm going to keep at <2000 calories a day while I'm home with my parents.

For completeness sake:
    5/24 - Arby's lamb gyro with french fries & coke (1200 calories, I guess), rice, chicken, vegetable, some kinda bean stew (700 calories) - 1900 calories

Hello! I'm also fasting. I tend to schedule what I'm going to eat early in the morning while I'm still full. I make sure to get in something heavy in calories but also very nutritious (Hitting all my nutrient needs). This time of year, the sun sets pretty late and I hate going to bed with a bursting stomach.

My calorie needs are lower than yours but maybe you can use my diary as a guide to help you with your choices. My diary is always open and feel free to add me as a friend.

Happy Ramadan!
  • flame_retardant
    Options
    firefoxxie wrote: »

Hello! I'm also fasting. I tend to schedule what I'm going to eat early in the morning while I'm still full. I make sure to get in something heavy in calories but also very nutritious (Hitting all my nutrient needs). This time of year, the sun sets pretty late and I hate going to bed with a bursting stomach.

My calorie needs are lower than yours but maybe you can use my diary as a guide to help you with your choices. My diary is always open and feel free to add me as a friend.

Happy Ramadan!

Checked out your food diary - it looks really healthy. I saw broccoli was 81 calories for 237g. Save me.

You've done a great job avoiding junk-food throughout Ramadan, so that should really pay off with weight loss. What's your goal during Ramadan for weight loss?
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    firefoxxie wrote: »

Happy Ramadan!

Checked out your food diary - it looks really healthy. I saw broccoli was 81 calories for 237g. Save me.

You've done a great job avoiding junk-food throughout Ramadan, so that should really pay off with weight loss. What's your goal during Ramadan for weight loss?

I wish I could get more vegetables in but it's so much food for little calories (a good thing when not fasting). You can always add some olive oil to bump it to around 140. Avocado is about 250.

I still have some junk food, but not in large amounts. A few crackers and maybe a couple of chocolates. It helps that I'm so full and I just use those things to fill up my calories.

My goal during Ramadan isn't different than my normal goal. I just want to lose at least a lb a week. I'll continue like this after Ramadan too. 9 lbs down, 30 to go!