Vacation calories

Going on vacation for 2 weeks and plan not to count calories at all so hopefully I don’t go overboard and kill my progress for the past 3 month!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Have fun!
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Hopefully I’ll keep the weight gain down to 2 or 3 pounds.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I am headed to Spain next week - plan on eating and drinking EVERYTHING ... but also walking a lot! Enjoy your trip.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I eat at my maintenance calories on vacation and try to stay somewhere with at least a small workout room. My kids sleep late and I get up do a workout so I can eat more or less anything.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    enjoy! i donot count on vacation either.

i also dont get n the sale for about 2 weeks when i get home LOL ;)

its never permanent damage though. just pick back up when you return!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Have fun on vacation! It's always good to take a break from logging and counting while on vacation. You're on holiday, may as well enjoy yourself
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I still count on vacations when we cruise but log exercise calories too. I want treats but still manage them.
    It is my routine and accountability is a mental investment and it would be too easy to go off and stay off even when returning home. I do not wish to throw everything away because of a vacation.
    IMHO :*
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I enjoy myself w/o the need to overdrink or overeat.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Have fun, take a break from logging if you need one. We'll see you back here when you're home again!
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Have fun! I'm going on a cruise and plan on trying the 3-bite rule for pastries and sweets.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Portion control is your friend
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Portion control and maintenance-level eating. And be active, instead of a slug, so that you've got a higher maintenance level.

Remember: Just because you *can* eat all the things doesn't mean you *should* eat all the things. Focus on what you really want to eat.

I'll be in Palm Beach for the next few days. My pre-log looks like a hot mess. But I know that a) it's only two days, b) I'll continue my sharp deficit for the rest of the week, and c) even if I can't do b, it should only, at max, come out to a .57-pound gain. (And heck... I'm OK living off of grilled fish tacos and cocktails for the next two days.)

If anything, I'm hoping that my body sees it as a refeed, and maybe I'll be lucky and drop a little more weight.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    I was away for the last few days. I logged to the best of my ability (I would guess and then add 20% to be safe). Hopefully I did alright. If not, that's ok too. I'm home and back on track again :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I went on vacation to Costa Rica and didn't log for two weeks. I ended up not logging my food at all because wifi was so unreliable. I ate significantly more than usual but being that it was a vacation where we were highly active every day, I maintained my weight during that time and didn't gain anything. Focus on eating sensibly and being active would be my suggestion.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I was travelling for 7 weeks at the begining of the year - on a touring holiday in Australia. I didn't log or track anything while away. However, I did try and practice my long term, post goal strategy and I did maintain my weight while away. I chose sensible meals (where possible) and avoided feeling stuffed after eating (I used to do that a lot). Where we stopped for afternoon tea and the cakes looked good, hubby and I shared one - sufficient to give us both a bit of something yummy but not too much. If the cakes didn't look really good I didn't choose the best of a bad lot, I just didn't bother with one. There was no hardship, I enjoyed what I ate but food was not a focus of my holiday. It helped that we were very active (in spite of driving approx 6000 miles)

Enjoy your holiday - no need to calorie count - just be mindful of what you're eating in the same way that you will need to be long term.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Have fun and enjoy :smile:
    When you get back from that and back to normal eating and activity again any gain will be gone in a matter of weeks (that's what I've found anyway).
  • OnalimOjag
    OnalimOjag Posts: 79 Member
    Update: Been here in D.C for 3 days now and I’ve been eating more than usual and treating myself with more cookies and ice cream but we’re walking almost 3-4 hrs per day while going around downtown D.C. but I don’t really mind getting a little bit of weight I’ll just go back to my usual practice when after this trip :) thanks for all the advice though! Hope you guys have a fun fun summer!!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    I was travelling for 7 weeks at the begining of the year - on a touring holiday in Australia. I didn't log or track anything while away. However, I did try and practice my long term, post goal strategy and I did maintain my weight while away. I chose sensible meals (where possible) and avoided feeling stuffed after eating (I used to do that a lot). Where we stopped for afternoon tea and the cakes looked good, hubby and I shared one - sufficient to give us both a bit of something yummy but not too much. If the cakes didn't look really good I didn't choose the best of a bad lot, I just didn't bother with one. There was no hardship, I enjoyed what I ate but food was not a focus of my holiday. It helped that we were very active (in spite of driving approx 6000 miles)

Enjoy your holiday - no need to calorie count - just be mindful of what you're eating in the same way that you will need to be long term.

The sharing strategy is one my wife and I use. No need to deprive ourselves, just control what we have.

An anecdote from the weekend. Did a 38 mile bicycle ride at a local community Strawberry Festival. Ride wrist ban worth $3 off food at the food tent. Got two brats, no bun please (they did that) and then asked for a bowl of strawberries with a single, small scoop of ice cream.

Well, the scoop must have been a grain shovel because it was a giant portion of ice cream. Gave away about 2/3rds of it to another participant, using the sharing strategy.

Sometimes, people think they are helping or doing you a favor with a big portion.

Not so much if one is a diabetic :)