Pot pie recipes that won't eat up all my calories?

Options
dancingshooz
dancingshooz Posts: 11 Member
I'm craving mama's chicken pot pie like crazy, do any of you have lighter recipes for it?

Replies

• flourchild225
    flourchild225 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a chicken pot pie soup that is really really delicious.
  • Amalthea8284
    Amalthea8284 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Use less (or no) crust! When I make regular pot pie i use two sticks of butter for the whole thing. It's excessive. Something like 200 calories per serving. I wish I could give you a recipe, but i just make it from memory.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @dancingshooz
    Instead of a cream sauce boil a head of cauliflower and blend. Reduces fat and adds a healthy punch of veggies.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make mine from scratch, and it's only about 300 cal per serving... I use boiled white meat chicken or turkey, a bag of frozen veggies (my family likes peas & carrots), and 1.5 c of vegetable gravy (thickened veggie stock.) I grab biscuits for the top crust. So filling & so much "skinnier."
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lelah77 wrote: »
    I make mine from scratch, and it's only about 300 cal per serving... I use boiled white meat chicken or turkey, a bag of frozen veggies (my family likes peas & carrots), and 1.5 c of vegetable gravy (thickened veggie stock.) I grab biscuits for the top crust. So filling & so much "skinnier."

This is similar to what I do. The crust is where all of the calories are. I make the filling, which is basically a stew (based on the traditional Betty Crocker recipe but with 1/2 the butter) and bake some 100 calorie biscuits with it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    https://www.tastemade.com/shows/healthy-af/crock-pot-healthy-chicken-pot-pie-soup

Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Ingredients

1 lb. chicken breast, boneless and skinless 1 large yellow onion, diced

3 stalks celery, diced

3 carrots, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. ground black pepper

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. dried oregano

3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock

1 bay leaf

1/2 cup frozen corn kernels

1/2 cup frozen pearl onions

1/2 cup peas

1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain

Prep Work

Add the chicken, yellow onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and chicken broth to the bowl of a slow cooker and stir to combine.

Add the bay leaf, cover, and cook on Low for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.

Remove and discard bay leaf.

Remove chicken breast, shred, and set aside. Measure out 2 cups of the liquid and contents from the slow cooker and place into a blender. Puree this until smooth, and then return to the slow cooker. This will serve to thicken the soup.

Return the cooked, shredded chicken to the slow cooker, followed by the frozen, peas, frozen carrots, frozen pearl onions, and Greek yogurt.

Re-cover and cook an additional 30 minutes, until the frozen vegetables have heated through. Season to taste before serving.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It's so good. My family loves it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Another possibility is to make it the traditional way and just eat a smaller portion of it.

I know that's not always the easiest way, but sometimes I find I've just gotta have the 'real' thing, you know? If I've got a hankering for something, I'd much rather bank some calories (or earn extra from additional exercise) than try something 'lighter' only to end up with lunchbag letdown. ;)

Perhaps serve it with a big fresh garden salad on the side?

I'm one of those people, though, that would much rather only have a serving of real bacon once a week than be able to have turkey or tofu bacon every single day.

Just throwing this out there as an option, because different things work for different people. :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Skip the crust. Make the filling only and use chicken stock instead of dairy. Think about using cornstarch or arrow root as your thickener instead of a more traditional roux.

Eat said filling with crackers, rice, potatoes, noodles, or something else that makes it easy to control the calories.

Basically, treat it like chicken stew instead of pot pie.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have used scrunched up filo pastry to top pies - as long as you don't load it with lots of melted butter it works well. I save pies for cold days when I have been super active - or have guests so they can eat most of it ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Use less (or no) crust! When I make regular pot pie i use two sticks of butter for the whole thing. It's excessive. Something like 200 calories per serving. I wish I could give you a recipe, but i just make it from memory.

^^ This. Don't use a bottom crust. Cut back further with a lattice top instead of a full crust.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I make chicken pot pie often and I don’t have issues fitting it into my calories. I put a crust on th bottom and the top. It’s just vegetables, chicken, flour, butter, chicken broth, heavy cream. Mmm I love pot pie...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    This looks great @flourchild225 Thanks! I looked it up and decided to post it on this thread to share it & so I could find it again. :smiley:

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

5 Freestyle Points
    268 calories

Total Time:
    45 minutes

Chicken pot pie is ultimate comfort food and this creamy, chunky soup is loaded with chicken, potatoes, mushrooms, peas, carrots, corn, celery, onions and green beans in every bite.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup flour (to make gluten-free use 2 tbsp cornstarch instead)
    2 cups water (or broth)
    4 cups fat free milk
    1 large celery stalk, chopped
    1/2 medium chopped onion
    8 oz sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
    2 chicken bouillons
    fresh ground pepper
    pinch of thyme
    10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
    2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
    16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small (or a Rotisserie Chicken)
    salt

Directions:

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
    Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil.
    Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bouillon, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables and return to a boil.
    Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
    Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
    Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add.
    Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Nutrition Information

Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1- 1/2 cups

Amount Per Serving: 6 Calories: 268 calories Total Fat: 3.5g Saturated Fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 64mg Sodium: 983mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Protein: 30g

Freestyle Points: 5 Points +:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lelah77 wrote: »

Here's a take on the biscuit top.......https://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/chicken-pot-pie/

Sounds interesting!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I like a good pot pie. I buy them from Nutrisystem for when I want to have the taste but not the calories. Every so often I want a good full pot pie. I go to the store and buy one. One time I tried to eat a half of one and I said forget it and ate the whole thing. I enjoyed it. I probably have had 2 in the past year, but it was worth it for me.
    As someone mentioned earlier, if I really want a particular food I am not satisfied until I have it. Otherwise I try to rationalize about calories and I end up still wanting it. I would not make a homemade pot pie because for me it is too much work and after I eat it one time I am done for a while.
  • LetsDoulaThis2018
    LetsDoulaThis2018 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories come from the pie crust and you can't make a really good pie crust without a bunch of butter. Someone's suggestion of making the filling and eating it with a biscuit is the best one I heard! I make Pot pie from scratch every few weeks. I make it so that 1/4 of the 9" pie has a full serving of vegetables. Each piece is about 350 calories. My daily calorie goal is like 2,400 though so eating 700 calories of pot pie for my dinner doesn't screw me over.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Use only 1/2 the crust, double the veggies. Easy as that. More like a chicken cobbler than pot pie (if you lose the bottom crust). Doubling veggies is about the easiest way to eat the same quantity of food while reducing calories.
  • tkmotivation
    tkmotivation Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has an excellent version I just made this week! If you need the recipe, just let me know! It was around 200cal for a decent sized portion.