Long term Keto success?

Options
I have read both here and on other online forums (and FB, of course) of people starting the Keto diet. I've seen people state they've been on it for weeks or months, but I have yet to read anything from anyone saying they've been on it for years or a lifetime (maybe some original Atkins Diet followers out there?). Even the medical field doesn't have good data. I would like feedback from anyone who has honestly made this a forever lifestyle change, how long has it been, how do you feel, what the biggest challenges are, and greatest successes over time.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine's mom has been on Atkins since the 1990s and is in amazing shape now, in her 60s. My brother has avoided sugar and has eaten very few carbs for most of his adult life--also in great shape, and now 40. Most of my friends are from the gym/running and quite a few of them have been on low-carb lifestyles for many years. No specifically "keto" examples here, but Atkins and Whole 30 and Paleo are among the diets I'm referring to--though my brother just says, "I don't eat carbs often."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo how long have you been doing keto?
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for 60 days, so I'm by no means an expert. On the boards I follow, there are several that have been on for 2-4 years. I don't believe it is any more or less sustainable as any other diet. It's easy for any person "dieting" to go back to eating poorly. Those with lots of weight to lose seem to have massive success.

My experience with Keto has been more mental clarity and energy almost immediately. I did not experience the "keto flu". My taste have changed over the last two months where I'm actually liking foods I never have before and with no sugar, I think my body is way more sensitive to it. The weight loss was quick the first three weeks (water weight). It has slowed since....but is still falling. But the energy and mental focus are enough benefit that as long as my doctor agrees, I'll keep plugging away.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for migraines 250ish days now...so, not quite a year...I'm planning to hit the 2 year mark and then switch to more standard LCHF - in children this still maintains seizure control, but no one has studied the permanence in adults, I'm just hoping.

I could not eat like this just for weight loss. My preferred foods tend toward LCHF, but limiting carbs to keto levels is very hard for me. I would not be motivated enough and I know I can maintain a healthy weight even at higher carb levels.

I have a girlfriend who has been doing mostly keto for about 2 1/2 years for health reasons, she is losing weight on top of it helping her other health issues (hormonal in nature)...she has short breaks from it several times a year to keep her on target.

It's not magic for weight loss. It's a great tool, and some people get a super appetite suppressant benefit, and some people really like the keto style foods, and some people have health issues that are hormonal or neurological or metabolic and keto can be amazing for treating those. But in the end, for weight loss, it's still about eating less total food no matter what kind of diet plan you want to use. Long term sustainability is the most important aspect of any food plan.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Here is a long term success story. TNTMan going strong since 2007.

https://tntman.wordpress.com/
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto since 1/20/18. Have lost 20lbs. I don't think I can ever go back to a regular way of eating with carbs/sugar.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    kjt363 wrote: »
    I have read both here and on other online forums (and FB, of course) of people starting the Keto diet. I've seen people state they've been on it for weeks or months, but I have yet to read anything from anyone saying they've been on it for years or a lifetime (maybe some original Atkins Diet followers out there?). Even the medical field doesn't have good data. I would like feedback from anyone who has honestly made this a forever lifestyle change, how long has it been, how do you feel, what the biggest challenges are, and greatest successes over time.

Just an assumption, but I would have think most long term keto dieters would eat intuitively and not require a support system like MFP. In general I would think the membership base are made up of people wishing to calorie count.

LCHF Diet models have been around over a century, there are millions of people enjoying success on them.

Except that there are a number of folks here on MFP(myself included) who gained weight over time on Keto. Because it doesn't work intuitively for everyone.

You are absolutely right, it doesn’t work for everyone! No diet model does. I personally find calorie counting and moderation eating an unworkable model, but other people I know thrive off it.

Just gotta find what works for you!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Just an assumption, but I would have think most long term keto dieters would eat intuitively and not require a support system like MFP. In general I would think the membership base are made up of people wishing to calorie count.

LCHF Diet models have been around over a century, there are millions of people enjoying success on them.

Except that there are a number of folks here on MFP(myself included) who gained weight over time on Keto. Because it doesn't work intuitively for everyone.

You are absolutely right, it doesn’t work for everyone! No diet model does. I personally find calorie counting and moderation eating an unworkable model, but other people I know thrive off it.

But finding the correct calorie goal and hitting it works for everyone.

You may use a different method of finding and hitting it, but it's the only thing that works.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

You may use a different method of finding and hitting it, but it's the only thing that works.

Yep CICO is the only thing that achieves weight lose.

How you get there, whether through calorie counting, moderation, LCHF, keto, clean eating is the trick.

Not one diet model will work for everyone, it sometimes takes a few trial and errors to find the perfect fit!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I did Keto for about 10 weeks and absolutely loved it. But, my gym performance sucked big time so I went back to about 125g - 150g of Carbs. That was about 10 days ago. Gym performance went back up. I did Carb Timing. Imagine that. But, I got impatient and am back to Keto (I know, I know). This time I am going to just power through as best I can and when my body adapts it adapts. I do really enjoy the Keto way....granted, it is not for everyone. I am very fortunate in that I can eat the same thing over and over and over and over again and not get bored. Been that way all my life.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are lots of folks who have done keto for years at www.ketogenicforums.com . Also, the hosts of the 2ketodudes.com podcast have been keto for years. Also, Drs. Phiney and Volek have been research and writing and eating keto for a VERY long time https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1/131-0405806-6517918?ie=UTF8&qid=1526940041&sr=8-1&keywords=phinney+volek
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i went low carb (under 40 net gmper day) in 2010 and switchedto ketogenic 2 years ago. very easy to sustain and maintain long term. i love it and i love how i feel eating like this.
  • spring831
    spring831 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Keto for 2 years... lost 110 pounds, in maintenance now and still love it. My blood pressure is lower, my cholesterol is good... Couldn't be happier and did it with the support and care of my physician.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    spring831 wrote: »
    I have been eating Keto for 2 years... lost 110 pounds, in maintenance now and still love it. My blood pressure is lower, my cholesterol is good... Couldn't be happier and did it with the support and care of my physician.

My physician supports me also. I was somewhat afraid that she would tell me "No way"