Overnight caregiver

I work a 12hr over night shift and literally am sitting watching TV to stay away from 10p-7a. I seriously could eat the whole time because I'm so bored. Any suggestions? I really have no clue of how to plan my sleep or meals with this schedule. It also does not help that I have to be up for the family different times so sleeping a solid 8 hrs is unlikely.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Start with finding other things to do than watching TV.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Eight hours sleep in a row makes a huge difference to your health and quality of life - if it's in any way possible, it's worth making a stand that some set hours will be uninterrupted sleep time when you are not on call, especially if this is a long term job.

Music with headphones, reading, doing puzzles, studying online? Can you do quiet bodyweight exercises while you are working? I'm not familiar with the specifics of your situation. I was a full time caregiver for my father after his stroke, and he required pretty much constant attention to the point that someone had to be there when the caregiver took a pee break. If that's your situation all I can say is hang in there. Prep snacks which are high volume and low calorie, such as veggies or plain popcorn, if you must snack.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Knitting, crichet, embroidery or some other hand craft can help pass time while keeping your hands busy. I made several blankets while my dad was in skilled nursing after his stroke.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I second picking up some kind of handicraft. I enjoy crocheting/knitting in the evenings since it keeps my hands busy, prevents snacking since I would get snack residue on my project, and I end up with blankets/scarves/etc that can be gifted to people, sold, or donated to charity.
  • tdyck86
    tdyck86 Posts: 1 Member
    I am a night nurse is homecare, its very hard to not eat all night. I watch movies or youtube shows on weight. I learned to crochet and am working on a blanket. I also took some on line courses. Meals are done in a 24 hour period.
  • tmn85
    tmn85 Posts: 1 Member
    I work 11pm-7am full time as a caregiver. I take my breakfast to work and eat it about 2am. Usually its tuna and triscuits with a small smoothie. I spend the night cleaning quietly, cooking for the next day or reading. Then I go home and eat "lunch", sleep, wake for supper and stay up.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I find that chewing gum keeps my mouth busy and takes my mind away from looking for a mindless snack
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Start with finding other things to do than watching TV.

this. TV leaves hands idle for snacking, and many of us have the very ingrained habit of snacking in front of the TV. One option would be to try reading instead.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    How about some low calorie drinks as well as low veggies, soups, etc- and yeah do some reading and research areas of interest- I love you-tube travel videos- don't have money for traveling but I love seeing other countries