Reasons You Regain the Weight

Options
Zamantha2016
Zamantha2016 Posts: 24 Member
edited May 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I regained the weight that I lost last year, 26 pounds :'(
There are no exact numbers on how many people regain weight, but some estimates suggest that it's anywhere from 80 percent to a whopping 95 percent. Are you? :#

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I blink and the weight Is back. I have to be hyper vigilant to my diet and time at the gym...It has to be my number one priority all the time. its exhausting.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've gained a good portion of mine back but because I've consistently hit the weights hard it's mostly been muscle.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I can offer my two cents here.... It comes down to nutrition and exercise choices. Find something that works for you and is sustainable. I find a lot of people chose diets that are not sustainable in the long term and that's what causes a lot of regaining. Same would go for exercise choices, if you picked hours upon hours of LISS or even lots of HIT cardio it is going to be awfully hard to maintain in the long run. Find what works, find the balance and make adjusts along the way. If you happen to be gaining tweak your deficit 250 and see what happens, tweak some more until you are happy.

I will agree that it has to be a life long commitment. That's why I said nutrition and not diet, as diets have an end nutrition does not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really. I've more or less maintained for over 5 years. While I was losing weight I made it a point not just to diet to lose weight, but to adopt a lot of healthy habits too...eating well and regular exercise. As long as I do those things most of the time, I'm fine.

I do put on 8-10 Lbs over the winter typically, which really comes down to me moving less in general and a decrease in exercise because I primarily cycle and it's cold and dark out at the times I can go ride. It comes back off in the spring and into summer when the cycling season gets going.
  • peak2beach
    peak2beach Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too. Over the past 6 months I "found" the weight that I lost 2 years ago. It's a big discouraging to see the update that I've lost 3 pounds when I had lost over 25 pounds! But I'll try and learn what went wrong and make better decisions in the future. For me, the biggest thing has been what I eat. I had been deceiving myself that some of the weight gain was from eating gluten, since that does cause inflammation for me. But it was also moving away from healthier foods and back to junk food that I was craving. I'm being more consistent with exercise now, and I'm working on what I eat. Fortunately, the summer is a time when I have an easier time with both, so I hope to lose a lot of that weight again over the next 3-4 months.

You're not alone, and you can do it again! Just try and learn from the past year so that you can adjust going forward. And as CowboySar said, think of it as a lifestyle change and not temporary changes. And maybe allow yourself to slip occasionally and get back on track, rather than spiraling downwards (like I did). Good luck!
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I really think that people need to fundamentally change the way they think about "diets" because no matter what methods we are using, if we think of any of it as "get there and done" (in terms of reaching an ideal weight), then we are bound to fail in the long term. I sometimes compare it to chronic medical condition - if you take your meds daily you feel good, but if stop taking them, your symptoms flare up. Struggling with weight is the same thing - you don't stop your healthy eating habits just because you aren't currently showing any symptoms of being fat. You have to keep to your routine, or you will simply gain it all back.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup but I do it deliberately. Either by getting pregnant or bulking.