Is Keto for me??? Plus any recipes?

katrinankelly
katrinankelly Posts: 23 Member
I just want to loose, 8kg, I exercise a lot... and try’d the Keto diet a week ago but failed as I felt dizzy and had no energy, I’m hoping to try again today, and the rest of the week but worried I’ll feel bad again

Replies

• Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    If you’re dizzy & unwell it’s usually due to dehydration & lack of electrolytes. You need to make sure you have enough sodium & fluid intake. Lack of both causes the headaches & dizziness. Stay topped up with fluid & add in an isotonic hydration (you can just add a teaspoon of salt to water - it shouldn’t be a huge taste difference).

As for recipes - there are a few threads on here with web links but I can’t remember which ones. For me it’s breakfast I struggle with. Going with the US ham & eggs this am
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Keto might be for you if you find fat filling and will be happy sticking to keeping carbs low for the long haul.

With only 8kg to lose, you should set your goal to no more than 1 lb per week. Remember that no matter how you eat, calories determine weight loss, so logging and hitting your calorie goal is key.

I'll leave the physical symptoms to those who have done Keto, I lost weight eating moderate carbs. I do know some people have a tough first couple of days when they go very low carb, so maybe avoid strenuous exercise the first few days JIC?

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Ditto the salt recommendation. You need two or more teaspoons of salt a day, about 3000 - 5000 mg of sodium. Adding more should help.

That said, some do notice a bit more fatigue during exercise when they first switch to keto as your body adjusts to fat for fuel. It can last a few days to a few weeks. Should be mild though. If not, it probably is not enough sodium, or possibly not enough calories.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    As nvmomketo said, there is an adjustment period for Keto commonly known as the "Keto flu" that you may be experiencing. Normally it only lasts for a week or two. If you go beyond that and still feel it, you may be doing something wrong (such as not eating enough overall, not getting sodium or not getting proper vitamins and minerals). I've done Keto before and loved it but always found it hard to stick with after a while because of how restrictive it is. Best of luck to you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    clobern80 wrote: »
    As nvmomketo said, there is an adjustment period for Keto commonly known as the "Keto flu" that you may be experiencing. Normally it only lasts for a week or two. If you go beyond that and still feel it, you may be doing something wrong (such as not eating enough overall, not getting sodium or not getting proper vitamins and minerals). I've done Keto before and loved it but always found it hard to stick with after a while because of how restrictive it is. Best of luck to you!

"Keto flu" is usually considered to be the electrolyte imbalance, and it should be avoidable if you increase sodium.
  • heyitslindsayr
    heyitslindsayr Posts: 11 Member
    I've always heard Keto was unhealthy because high amounts of fat isn't great for you, however I'd just research about it to see if it would work for you.
  • stlouis7474
    stlouis7474 Posts: 6 Member
    Keto is for you if you enjoy it and nothing else works. That is the case for me. I cannot lose weight while eating any real carbs whatsoever regardless of how low calories are. If that's the case with you then for sure fo keto