Need Keto/LC pals

Options
I feel like some LC/Keto support pals would be super helpful. I’ve got about 80lbs to lose after a terrible 18 months of illness and hormonal rollercoaster. I’m 41 and 2 weeks away from a hysterectomy, so I’d love the support. In the past I had been super successful eating LC, and I’ve already lost about 11 pounds eating this way again.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do keto for migraines - but I also calorie/carb cycle...always up for more friends!
  • raytamtay3
    raytamtay3 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi! :) I've been doing keto for a little over two weeks now. Haven't lost anything, but I am counting on it fallen off once I'm adapted. I have noticed that my moods are more even which is excellent!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of keto and low carb groups on here. You'll find plenty of friends there too.
  • riahall84
    riahall84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m keto and I also have about 80lbs to go!!! So good to see other doing this too!
  • tynanmir5675
    tynanmir5675 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! I started the Keto diet on 09MAY2018 and for the most part it has been going very well. I am doing Keto to hopefully help with my PCOS and weight loss. Common with many women who have PCOS, I carry weight around my mid-section, so I am hoping to see a difference in my waist/hip ratio as a result of this diet.
    So, I started eating Keto on a Wednesday, and that following Sunday morning I could tell I was experiencing the "Keto flu" and my body had made the metabolic shift from burning carbs to fat for fuel. Oh my was that an unpleasant feeling! My muscles felt super weak, I was exhausted, headache, and very irritable. My husband had run out to purchase a Keto electrolyte replenisher powder called Ultima (they come in small, individual packets, and he found them at Sprouts grocery store) when I was feeling that awful. I had the Ultima drink (lemonade flavor) and a few sliced strawberries, and within an hour or so I felt SO much better! I highly recommend these electrolyte drinks on this diet, and if you can be prepared with them before you make that initial plunge into ketosis I think it would ease a lot of the "flu" symptoms. I have stayed in some degree of ketosis (ranging from mild to large) ever since, and I stay within 1,500 calories everyday (I target 1,300 for weight loss though).

I am 152.5lbs today, down from 155lbs when I started 12 days ago, and I am looking to lose at LEAST 20lbs total. Any seasoned keto-ers who could tell me if 2.5lbs in 12 days when just starting the diet is good progress? Considering how restrictive/extreme the diet is, I feel I should have lost more, but that may just be American in me, wanting everything fast, fast, fast!

I have to say though, I genuinely have not felt hungry on this diet, however, I have had cravings. The cravings are more palate-related or textural though. Like, I would LOVE to have any type of juicy fruit! So all those summer time peaches, mangoes, pineapple, etc at the grocery store this time of year are very tempting. I haven't really missed bread, potatoes, or pasta...but on my first cheat day, I am soooo having a slice (or 3). Cheat day!? Yes, I do plan on having a cheat day maybe every 3 weeks or so (longer if I can). My research shows that while it does kick you out of ketosis, it does help many keto-ers stick with the diet. And through fasting and getting back on the keto diet, most can get back into ketosis within 24-36 hours.

The biggest challenge with keto I think is nailing the macros ratio. I was finding it impossible to eat as much fat as I needed to while keeping my protein consumption down. As many of you have probably read through your research, protein consumption on keto should be moderate at the most, because if your body identifies protein as a major source of fuel, it will burn protein/muscle mass. So I was resorting to consuming MCT oils only at some points during the day (and that's not very tasty). However, I stumbled upon Perfect Keto prodcuts and their MCT Oil Powder in chocolate flavor has saved me completely! An easy and super delicious way to get your fat grams up without increasing your protein. I swear guys this is so delicious! It tastes like a super, decadent chocolate milk, and it goes great in shakes too.

Anyhow, I would love to hear everyone's feedback! What have been your greatest challenges on Keto? How did you overcome them? What do you love about Keto? What are your favorite recipes and foods on Keto? Any tips?

Thanks for reading/listening ;-)