Lost 2 pounds by running a mile today.

Options
Thats what an office mate told me this morning.

I've been steadily losing weight, and a co-worker has decided to start exercising as well.

She is driving me crazy. Every day she claims that she loses a couple pounds. I said "wow, thats roughly 7000 calories" and she said that she knows, but she burns calories quickly especially since she ran the mile quickly.

Then proceeds to tell me about the eat what you want whatever diet fad she is working on.

She is in a position of authority and im having trouble not saying "you are full of *kitten*"

Anyone else have experiences like this? And how do you best handle them?

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    That's about what I sweat out in a 5 mile run, but maybe she sweats more than I do. :-)
    I think she's just trying to make conversation--it's not your job to make her see the light.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I second the "smile and nod" method. I have a higher up right now bragging about her weight loss and how great she feels from her diet.... What is she doing? Juicing for 6 weeks lol. I'm just waiting until she goes back to real food and realizes all she lost was muscle and water and that it comes back very quickly.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    "Congratulations, I am glad you found what works for you."

Then continue working. You don't have to feel submissive because she is in a position of authority. Just use some tact and let her know you're happy for her but happy with yourself as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    give it time. she'll stop losing weight soon. or start gaining it back. hopefully then she'll be open to nonwoo weightloss options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    And how do you best handle them?

Smile, say "Congratulations on your water weight loss, yay you!" and walk away.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tell her you're excited for her and move on with your life. She is trying
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have gotten really slack about my running and need to get back to it. Anyway my Runtastic app would read at about the seven mile mark that I have burned 1000 calories. She will burn the same two pounds off and drink it back over and over again. Let her have fun with that and let it go. I have an active desk job and my employee's would come in after a brutal day and read off their steps. They would then ask me and I would say 16K because I would get 10K in before the sun came up.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let it bother you. My sister in law is currently swearing by the method of "cutting out carbs and refined sugars and only drinking green tea". She is so pleased with herself that I haven't got the heart to tell her otherwise. I just said "I'm really happy for you" and moved on with my day.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bless her heart! I ran 18 on Saturday and only dropped two pounds (of course it came right back after I rehydrated!) I would just say, "That's great!" and then move on. No sense in squashing her enthusiasm or entering into a debate over something that isn't hurting anyone.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do not engage. o:)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yup. smile and say ' thats great'

i do it alllll the time.

I keep losing, they dont.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Smile and move on!

I have a coworker who is doing a 30 day Arbonne detox. I bite my lip and say, "Good luck!" and go on my merry way!