Fell off the fitness wagon...

Options
I'm going to be 27yrs old this August and I can't help but look back at the years that have passed and how I just let myself go. I'm just so over feeling this way and doing nothing about it. I'm at a constant tug of war with myself. One side of me gets extremely motivated and does great for a week or two and then it takes one craving, one slip up, and I lose my motivation. It's horrible. My husband is supportive but doesn't always understand how I feel or he has his days where he's only concerned about getting HIS body back on track which is fine, but I could use some motivation and support too. I'm really great at boosting others up and helping them stay focused and on track but I struggle doing it for myself sometimes. We've all been there right? Feel free to add me so we can support and motivate each other!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    You still have all kinds of time to get back on track. Think of your very next meal as your reset. There's no such thing as the perfect day or month or time to begin again. Your next meal is a new beginning. I actually think of every day as a new beginning because it's easier to take tiny steps for tiny feet than think of health and wellbeing in giant month hunks.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Having a hard time staying motivated this year myself. Don't know what it is, just don't have the drive I use to. Think I'm just sick of P90x and probably should try something else.

• megallagan
    megallagan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Girl, yes! I am in the same boat. I’m 26 and I never really cared about counting calories...until recently, when I finally replaced my broken scale and then wished I hadn’t. I’m just now realizing that my body doesn’t metabolize the way it used to! Feeling like I need to get myself back on track and learn to lead a healthier lifestyle. I have historically been terrible with working out, I will go to the gym for 2 or 3 weeks and then find any excuse to stop. I really want to change that! It’s only been 1 day and I’m already worried that I don’t have the willpower. Sending you good vibes, know that you’re not alone! :smile:
  • ArmstrongSabrina
    ArmstrongSabrina Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Mari22na wrote: »
    You still have all kinds of time to get back on track. Think of your very next meal as your reset. There's no such thing as the perfect day or month or time to begin again. Your next meal is a new beginning. I actually think of every day as a new beginning because it's easier to take tiny steps for tiny feet than think of health and wellbeing in giant month hunks.

I have never thought of it that way! Thank you for that advice! It makes alot of sense and makes me feel less down on myself.
  • ArmstrongSabrina
    ArmstrongSabrina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    megallagan wrote: »
    Girl, yes! I am in the same boat. I’m 26 and I never really cared about counting calories...until recently, when I finally replaced my broken scale and then wished I hadn’t. I’m just now realizing that my body doesn’t metabolize the way it used to! Feeling like I need to get myself back on track and learn to lead a healthier lifestyle. I have historically been terrible with working out, I will go to the gym for 2 or 3 weeks and then find any excuse to stop. I really want to change that! It’s only been 1 day and I’m already worried that I don’t have the willpower. Sending you good vibes, know that you’re not alone! :smile:

Girl YES! I've been the same exact way! Thank you for sharing that with me cuz there's days I definitely do feel alone in this. Sending you positive vibes as well!
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @ArmstrongSabrina Your post is great, and sums up my life, too. And then add to it a wife who has the will power to eat 1/4 of a candy bar and then save the rest for later. I usually finish it off.

I've also found that I get wrapped up in work, as in, I can't exercise this morning, because I have to get to work early so I can get XXXX done. And you know what? There is always something else that needs to get done.

I wish you all success on your journeys. Personally, I'm hoping the summer sun and the warmer nights will lead to some walks to clear my head and get me off the couch and away from the snacking.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think it might be your mindset that needs adjusting. You sound like you are holding yourself to very rigid standards of perfection; one setback is not a failure. Heck, even people who are in ridiculously good shape often have scheduled "cheat days".

If you're struggling to stick to "clean" eating then congrats, you are human. Consider scheduling in a treat day. It is still possible to achieve your goals eating healthily or by sticking to your calorie target, for 6 days of the week. In the beginning, esp the beginning, it is harder to stick to a strict path but don't lose hope; if you'd have adopted this mindset as a kid you would have never learnt to walk or talk. Be patient and understanding with yourself and don't compare your journey to anyone else's.

Ask yourself what is your motivation for getting your body back? Fitness and health are long term goals and once you achieve them, you still have to put in the effort to maintain them. If your goal is long term then what is one day in the grand scheme of things; just keep putting in the work and it will pay off.

Lastly, I notice that you haven't mentioned any exercise routine, whilst it isn't essential to have one, it can often really aid you in both the short term(release of endorphines) and the long term. If there's an activity that you like or a sport, consider doing that alongside your eating. It's a good way to meet people if nothing else.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Try this, it may sound whacky but I’ve done it several times for different situations. Consider your current plan in total.

Draw a line down the middle of a page and make 2 lists- why you want to do your program on one side, why you don’t on the other. It may take some time. Some people resist the whole idea of don’ts, or just want to dismiss them out of hand. Think it over, make an honest list.

Now look at the don’t side. This is your resistance, it’s not the work of an enemy agent.
    How can you make a deal, or series of deals to make peace with your resistance? Lots of folks think they can pump up their motivation and beat themselves into submission. Won’t work, not for long anyway.

You can try this for your whole program or individual issues. Learn to compromise with yourself and things will be easier. Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Try this, it may sound whacky but I’ve done it several times for different situations. Consider your current plan in total.

Draw a line down the middle of a page and make 2 lists- why you want to do your program on one side, why you don’t on the other. It may take some time. Some people resist the whole idea of don’ts, or just want to dismiss them out of hand. Think it over, make an honest list.

Now look at the don’t side. This is your resistance, it’s not the work of an enemy agent.
    How can you make a deal, or series of deals to make peace with your resistance? Lots of folks think they can pump up their motivation and beat themselves into submission. Won’t work, not for long anyway.

You can try this for your whole program or individual issues. Learn to compromise with yourself and things will be easier. Perfect is the enemy of the good.

@88olds , what you are suggesting is called "force field analysis", its a problem solving technique used by professional meeting facilitators. An excellent suggestion.

OP, you are 27 which is young (I'm 58). Make the most of your 30's, it's when your health is great and you still have lots of energy to do things. Spend a year getting into the best shape of your life and your 30's will be awesome.