98 lbs and struggling

Options
Im 20 years old, 5'4" and female. My weight has dropped steadily over the past year but has dropped more significantly in the last month.
I'm at uni and it's exam season which is a really busy and stressful time for me. I don't eat meat and I've stopped eating dairy (nearly).
I can't sleep very well, I keep getting ill, the gentle incline I have to walk up each day is better harder and harder and I sometimes feel light headed and dizzy.
I know the obvious answer is to just eat more but u feel really out of control whenever I eat more than I "should"

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Im 20 years old, 5'4" and female. My weight has dropped steadily over the past year but has dropped more significantly in the last month.
    I'm at uni and it's exam season which is a really busy and stressful time for me. I don't eat meat and I've stopped eating dairy (nearly).
    I can't sleep very well, I keep getting ill, the gentle incline I have to walk up each day is better harder and harder and I sometimes feel light headed and dizzy.
    I know the obvious answer is to just eat more but u feel really out of control whenever I eat more than I "should"

When you do eat, what are you eating? And how much of it? What is your food budget like? Can you eat at the campus food hall or are you sharing an apartment with roomies and are having to prepare your own meals? When you do eat more, how much more do you consume when you choose to?

We've all been through Uni and we all understand how ridiculously hectic it gets, so you'll find that a good majority are sympatico.
  • Codyjorybella
    Codyjorybella Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My first concern/ questions would be are your eating habits over this last year the same as the year before. If so and you are still loosing weight you really need to be seen by a physician to make sure there is not another underlying condition that is causing you to loose weight and be dizzy. Secondly you are obviously not eating to much if you are dizzy and loosing weight. I don't eat dairy and many other things because of good allergies, however you need to make sure the food you are putting into your body has the proper nutritional value that your body requires
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You could have an underlying condition contributing to your weightloss. I would see your GP.

Dizziness and lack of energy especially for vegans might be a lack of iron as the brain and muscles are not recieving enough oxygen.

Getting ill regularly can be a sign of a compromised immune system.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

When you do eat, what are you eating? And how much of it? What is your food budget like? Can you eat at the campus food hall or are you sharing an apartment with roomies and are having to prepare your own meals? When you do eat more, how much more do you consume when you choose to?

We've all been through Uni and we all understand how ridiculously hectic it gets, so you'll find that a good majority are sympatico.

I usually eat three meals a day and snacks. I often have a slice of toast for breakfast and a smoothie with protein powder for a snack. I usually have either some sandwiches or some cous cous for lunch. Then I usually snack on some satsumas, some nuts and some sweets in the afternoon or evening. I usually food prep my dinners on Sunday or Monday for the rest of the week. This week I'm having risotto with prawns, mushrooms, carrots, celery, pepper and spinach.

I'm not really tracking how much I eat but I think their decent portions, they look similar to what my mum would give me at home. I spend about £15 a week on food but I shop at Aldi or asda so it's not a problem. I'm quite well off (for a student). I'm living in a student house off campus with 4 other students. I've now started having 2 sandwiches for lunch instead of just one.
  • czmiles926
    Options

I usually eat three meals a day and snacks. I often have a slice of toast for breakfast and a smoothie with protein powder for a snack. I usually have either some sandwiches or some cous cous for lunch. Then I usually snack on some satsumas, some nuts and some sweets in the afternoon or evening. I usually food prep my dinners on Sunday or Monday for the rest of the week. This week I'm having risotto with prawns, mushrooms, carrots, celery, pepper and spinach.

I'm not really tracking how much I eat but I think their decent portions, they look similar to what my mum would give me at home. I spend about £15 a week on food but I shop at Aldi or asda so it's not a problem. I'm quite well off (for a student). I'm living in a student house off campus with 4 other students. I've now started having 2 sandwiches for lunch instead of just one.

So you do eat meat.

I eat fish and seafood but not meat, sorry probably should have made that clearer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you have lost significantly in the last month you are not eating 'decent portions'. if you feel that you aren't under eating then even more reason to see your doctor, as unexplained weight loss can be a symptom of something serious.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Start tracking everything you consume for a week or two as accurately as you can to see where you really are.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Maybe drink milk with your meals.

See a doctor asap to make sure there is nothing else going on and to discuss your issues. Your weight dropping when you are a low weight is concerning. Added to that cutting foods from your diet and feeling out of control when you eat more is concerning.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

You state you 'usually' eat 3 meals and snacks, but are you eating this now and continuing with your normal meal prep for the week?

There really wasn't a question in your OP other than stating you were struggling. Is this something that tends to occur around school and added stress? Perhaps you need to make sure that you don't have an underlying medical condition? I might entertain the idea you log your food for a while to assure you are eating 'decent portions' plus dealing with gaining the weight you lost? Your statement about feeling out of 'control' as it regards to eating food is very alarming.

Make an appointment with your doctor today.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Obviously, outside of a potential medical issue, you should be eating more if you are losing weight and feeling weak. Could you explain what you mean by that statement and why you put "should" in quotes?

• czmiles926
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Obviously, outside of a potential medical issue, you should be eating more if you are losing weight and feeling weak. Could you explain what you mean by that statement and why you put "should" in quotes?

Because 3 meals and snacks should be enough. I don't think I should eat more than that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Because 3 meals and snacks should be enough. I don't think I should eat more than that

So you think that even though you feel weak and are losing weight you should not eat more?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Then perhaps you should increase your portion sizes a bit - or start incorporating options that are much more calorie dense. I ate the same number of meals when I was losing weight that I eat when gaining. The differences are the sizes of my portions and the types of foods.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, just from the symptoms you describe I'd say you need to see your doctor. I had similar symptoms when I was anaemic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

A significant drop in weight when eating the same portions/no change in diet is a health/medical issue.

How much weight have you lost in a month?

If you are just struggling to eat enough and are now suffering side effects then upping back you intake to normal will help, but you still need to work on getting back into healthy weight to remedy all your side effects. Hope you will call your doctor or talk to someone you are close to to get the proper help you need.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You could have an underlying condition contributing to your weightloss. I would see your GP.

Dizziness and lack of energy especially for vegans might be a lack of iron as the brain and muscles are not recieving enough oxygen.

Getting ill regularly can be a sign of a compromised immune system.

Wow, 3 woo's...I suppose you're all *kitten* doctors

Are you?

OP: I second the suggestion to go talk to someone at your campus medical clinic. :)