Orangetheory Fitness (OTF) Discussion

Options
I just recently tried a free class and ultimately joined OTF. I would like to hear of other peoples experiences? Such as if weight loss is your focus, did you find it was harder (I ask because so far on the days I go to OTF I am so hungry so I am currently trying to balance)?

I don't buy into their claims of afterburn yada, yada, but I do believe it is a good workout. I am curious if the in-class calorie burn is accurate. So far I am loving it but just need to make sure I am consistently logging, and I am only adding about half of the calories burned.

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    crickets B)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You know when I started on MFP a little over a year ago OTF was all the rage...... honestly haven't seen any posts or talk about it for months.
  • CricketClover
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    You know when I started on MFP a little over a year ago OTF was all the rage...... honestly haven't seen any posts or talk about it for months.

I know! I read through some older posts, which is why I started a new one. Almost all the sessions at my location have a waitlist so I know it is still popular, at least around here.
  • betterwhenimdancin
    betterwhenimdancin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Orangetheory has its own subreddit which seems to have a lot of activity
  • CricketClover
    Options
    jmh561 wrote: »

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is a subreddit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    How much is OT saying you're burning?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CricketClover
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How much is OT saying you're burning?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I average 585 in the 60 minute session with an average HR of 155 (measured using a chest strap HRM).
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It is basically a sub forum on the site reddit that discusses orange theory
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's basically another way to do interval training. There's a lot of marketing hype, and I personally think that it's overblown. It can still provide a good workout though, especially for people who lack experience in structuring their own workouts.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I average 585 in the 60 minute session with an average HR of 155 (measured using a chest strap HRM).

This looks reasonable. I have always figured you burn about 100 calories in a mile walk/jog/run so a 10 minute mile therefore equals 100 calories (about 10 calories per minute). 60 minutes x 10 calories/minute = 600 calories so 585 looks about right. I'm not sure I have the physical capability to burn more than 10 calories per minute for more than a few minutes at a time.
  • KymberlyGiudici
    KymberlyGiudici Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing OTF since they opened one in the next city over in January 2018. I go to the 5am class there, so I have to leave my house at 410am, which means I am up at 330am to get dressed, drink my green tea, and make my protein shake for the post workout drive to the office... commitment! lol

I like the energy of the group fitness, and having the coach there for encouragement and advice. It works well for me. I finish my shake before I arrive at the office (about 15 minutes in the car from OTF to work) and I am also VERY hungry about an hour after I arrive at work. I seem to do well with a quarter cup each of cashews, cheese cubes, and chicken cubed, until lunch that is.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It's basically another way to do interval training. There's a lot of marketing hype, and I personally think that it's overblown. It can still provide a good workout though, especially for people who lack experience in structuring their own workouts.

Marketing hype?
    What's wrong with doing interval training?
    Maybe because it is a business they exaggerate some benefits a bit. But what the heck? If you like it, keep going.
    I have never done it. But as I understand it, each class is designed to burn 500-1000 a session. That's pretty darn good! Plus, they mix things up every session, right? I think there is great benefit in that; it keeps things fresh, which keeps a person interested.
    Why do you have to dis it Spartan?
    What type of working out doesn't have pluses and minuses?
    I play tennis which I think is a great workout! Running, turning, stopping, starting. But it won't build me muscles. Big deal....
    And, yes, CricketClover, a good workout will leave you hungry. That's just part of it. People training for marathons typically don't lose much weight even though they run for as much as 8-plus hours per week. Yeah. That's because, after a two-hour run, they find it hard to resist a burger.
    You just have to learn to manage that hunger if you want to lose some weight.
    On a positive note, if you do manage it, the weight will go away faster because of the workouts.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Went to one class and they said I had 52 "splat points". Numbers were pretty useless to me because they said they'd use the Age formula for Max HR, which is pretty much a useless formula if you're even in moderately good shape. I've done cardio for years and, because of that, their HR formula doesn't work for me. They said I'd have to have a stress test to prove that my HR Max was higher.

Also, if you're basing the "science" off of HR Max training, that's a wrong assumption. All HR training should be based off of HRR (Heart Rate reserve). Anyone that's done just a little cardio HR training knows this.

It's fun, if it motivates you, that's great. It was personally too much running for my taste. I prefer rowing/biking (or Assault Bikes, which they don't have). I don't think their calorie count is all that accurate unless your HR Max numbers somehow magically are near accurate. The premise, though, is correct. You will keep your HR more elevated when you lift and do cardio together if you push it the whole time. On the class I attended, I was concerned (having lifted for years) that some of what I saw was pretty dangerous -- some horribly bad form which could lead to injury. One instructor for 20 or so people wasn't enough. The instructor I had was more concerned with the runners than the God awful lifting form I was seeing.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »

Marketing hype?
    What's wrong with doing interval training?
    Nothing, which is why I didn't say that interval training is a bad thing. Feel free to re-read what I posted if that would help.

Basically, it's overhyped. I've done Orangetheory before, and I've done similar group workouts elsewhere. There isn't anything really special about the Orangetheory approach. In fact, as far as workout intensity goes, I've had much better at several other smaller, no-name places.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Went to one class and they said I had 52 "splat points". Numbers were pretty useless to me because they said they'd use the Age formula for Max HR, which is pretty much a useless formula if you're even in moderately good shape. I've done cardio for years and, because of that, their HR formula doesn't work for me. They said I'd have to have a stress test to prove that my HR Max was higher.
    My own experience was similar. It just wasn't a very demanding workout, and getting my heart rate into their zone was darned near impossible because of my prior cardio conditioning.

Also, I did a partner workout with them, and it was extremely frustrating. I was stuck with some guy who'd just walk casually on the treadmill instead of running -- or even hiking briskly. This wouldn't be a problem, except that we were supposed to trade off on the using the treadmill once one's partner had covered a certain number of feet. To cut a long story short, because he was taking it easy, that made it even more difficult to get a decent workout in.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My friends were doing it for a while and lost some weight. I went to an intro session and felt it was a good workout but didnt feel the money was worth what was offered. Mostly they had us running on the treadmill half the time. I can do that on my own. Also, the class times didnt align with my work schedule.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I tried their "free" trial workout once, and it was free my @ss. I guess technically it was free in that I didn't pay any money, but boy, did they make me pay with their insanely aggressive follow-up sales tactics. They blew up my phone and email several times a day, begging me to buy a membership, even after I repeatedly told them it was way outside my budget. They didn't stop until I had to get real snippy and demand they leave me alone.

I actually liked the workout itself, but their sales team were so awful and anti-customer service I'd never join, even now that I can afford it. If they're that grabby with my money before they even get any of it, how are they going to treat me once they have me locked in a contract? :/
  • RebeccaH2011
    RebeccaH2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been doing OTF for a little over a year and it is the thing that works for me. I appreciate that they have solved a lot the obstacles and get a lot of people moving. I personally have gotten leaner and toner. I went to one of Austin's natural springs this last weekend and can now fit into my pre-pregnancy bathing suit again.

All the while, whether or not there is an after-burn, I definitely get an after-glow from the endorphins after a good workout. I definitely feel great all day long after working out there. I know from experience that if left to my own devices just going to the gym on my own, this would be a lot harder to do.

Another bonus is that the staff has been friendly and upbeat.

Definitely a fan of OTF. :)
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been going to OTF for almost 2 months. I like the balance of the workouts because I would pretty much do nothing but cardio if left to my own devices. There are good coaches where I go and I like the people in my classes. It's all business in there. I don't really buy into the afterburn thing, but I feel like I get a good workout.