So confused...any advice would help please

Options
jencj05
jencj05 Posts: 18 Member
Hey everyone! I recently started my exercise program (CrossFit & lifting) and increasing proteins, adding protein powder to my diet, etc after having my son. I was getting set in my routine and ended up breaking 2 ribs and getting pneumonia from not being able to breathe easily. I don’t want to lose the muscle that I have worked hard to build, but can’t exercise at all. Any suggestions on what to do? I’ve still been eating my proteins and making protein shakes. I don’t want to gain unnecessary weight. I’m at a loss. Any suggestions?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Just focus on your diet for now. Ease back into exercise as tolerated and advised by your doctor.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Lose/maintain or recomp/gain weight? How long have you been working with this exercise program?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Energy balance. Whether you work out or not, you can eat at maintenance. Keep protein high to conserve muscle as well as let your body heal. The body actually burns more calories when trying to repair
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Answered in your other post
  • jencj05
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Just focus on your diet for now. Ease back into exercise as tolerated and advised by your doctor.

Do you think I should continue with high protein & the shakes? I don’t want to gain fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would maintain.. make sure you are getting adequate protein and nutrition.
  • jencj05
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What is your goal? Lose/maintain or recomp/gain weight? How long have you been working with this exercise program?

My goal is to gain muscle. I was 106lbs 5’3 and 18.2% BMI. Then I started a huge increase in protein in my diet and lifting/doing cross fit about 3 months ago. I definitely have seen changes in my body. I am now between 108 & 110lbs. I’m ok with the weight gain since it’s muscle. Since I can’t exercise, I’m not sure how to continue eating. I don’t want to gain fat. I’d like to keep as much muscle as possible. I don’t know if I should continue to drink the whey protein shakes or high protein diet. I read somewhere that high protein can help heal bones, but I’m not sure how reliable the source was. I just don’t know what to do. I’m super frustrated. I’m going on vacation the 1st week of July. I really wanted to be super toned. I may not be able to do follow that goal unfortunately.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Even while you're bulking you're gaining a mix of both muscle and fat. For right now I would drop your calories down to maintenance until you're healed. That should be your first priority.
  • jencj05
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Do you think maintaining high protein will cause an increase in body fat since I’m not exercising? I’m with my 3yr old all day. Taking care of him is the most exercise I can do and that is painful.
  • jencj05
    Options
    Energy balance. Whether you work out or not, you can eat at maintenance. Keep protein high to conserve muscle as well as let your body heal. The body actually burns more calories when trying to repair

Thank you. You just answered my main questions.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jencj05 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I recently started my exercise program (CrossFit & lifting) and increasing proteins, adding protein powder to my diet, etc after having my son. I was getting set in my routine and ended up breaking 2 ribs and getting pneumonia from not being able to breathe easily. I don’t want to lose the muscle that I have worked hard to build, but can’t exercise at all. Any suggestions on what to do? I’ve still been eating my proteins and making protein shakes. I don’t want to gain unnecessary weight. I’m at a loss. Any suggestions?

Do you think maintaining high protein will cause an increase in body fat since I’m not exercising? I’m with my 3yr old all day. Taking care of him is the most exercise I can do and that is painful.

Yes. You have 2 broken ribs which both need your proteins and calcium minimum, to be on point in order for them to callus over, then fuse and NOT break again. And muscle maintenance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

No unless it puts you in a surplus. But right now focus on healing.. even a small amount of gain can be dealt with once you are able to get back to exercise.