Eat less calories... how much fat intake??

Options
jweb007
jweb007 Posts: 36 Member
Hey all!

Maybe this is a silly question, but I was wondering:

If you’re able to have a caloric deficit, does it matter so much if you still eat fatty things? I love cheese. Should I cut out fatty cheese completely? Or does it not matter so much at the beginning of my weight loss journey?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on a high fat, moderate fat, or low fat diet. You don't have to eliminate fatty foods in order to lose weight -- calories will determine your weight loss, not the amount of fat in your diet.

Fat is higher in calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, so you will want to make sure you're logging accurately (they can add up quickly!).
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You should keep your fats at an absolute minimum of 35g per day because of its importance in the uptake of fat soluble vitamins and digestive benefits among many other things. You also want adequate protein, but other than that you can choose any ratio you want of carbs and fats with no difference in weight loss.
  • Gretaholden1
    Gretaholden1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the standard MFP diet log there is a recommended amount you can eat at the bottom. If you are going into the red all the time you are eating too much fat and should cut back. If you are in the green your fine. I eat healthy fats, ie Avacado oil, coconut oil, on occasion olive oil. Then the fat that come naturally in food, Meat, Cheese, ect. You can eat anything as long as you stay within the MFP suggested goals. If you stop losing weight its time to tweak it a bit.
  • Gretaholden1
    Gretaholden1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Let me ad I am careful about too much because it really reduces the quantity of food I can eat. Fat will make you feel fuller longer but it will also use a significant amount of your daily calories if you eat too much.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    jweb007 wrote: »
    Hey all!

Maybe this is a silly question, but I was wondering:

If you’re able to have a caloric deficit, does it matter so much if you still eat fatty things? I love cheese. Should I cut out fatty cheese completely? Or does it not matter so much at the beginning of my weight loss journey?

As long as you don't have any medical reason not to eat cheese or other fat rich foods then no. A calorie deficit is all that is need to lose weight.

Find what works best for you and give it your best shoot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    In the standard MFP diet log there is a recommended amount you can eat at the bottom. If you are going into the red all the time you are eating too much fat and should cut back. If you are in the green your fine. I eat healthy fats, ie Avacado oil, coconut oil, on occasion olive oil. Then the fat that come naturally in food, Meat, Cheese, ect. You can eat anything as long as you stay within the MFP suggested goals. If you stop losing weight its time to tweak it a bit.

Going over your MFP fat goal is only a problem if those calories mean you don't get enough protein or fruits/veggies (for micronutrients and fiber) within your calorie goal, or if the overall way of eating leaves you not feeling satiated.

Within those limitations, you're fine. Extra fat will not hinder weight loss, which - absent unusual medical conditions - is all about calories.

Calories for weight loss, macronutrients and macronutrients for nutrition, exercise for fitness = best odds of good health.
  • jweb007
    jweb007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s insights!