Those looking to cut for summer! Assault bike: AKA DEATH

Options
Hello fellow fitness peeps! Along with starting to track my macros again using MFP, I have been upping my cardio since summer is right around the corner. I wanted to do something other than stairs and the treadmill which I have been doing for years around cutting season. My friend introduced me to the assault bike (or fan bike) which is commonly used in crossfit style workouts. I fell in love with this bike after my first use. After only 10 minutes, alternating 30 second springs with 1 minute of low-moderate intensity, my legs were absolutely DEAD. This was after doing an upperbody workout...I felt as though I had a leg day!
I have been incorporating HIIT workouts with this bike about 3-4 times a week. One of my favorite pros is there is so much variety you can do. YOU get to choose the level of intensity you want depending on how hard you pedal, no buttons, no inclines, it's all you. Examples of workouts I have created include...1 minute on the bike (moderate intensity for 30 seconds, 30 seconds sprint) superset with 12 burpees for 20 minutes.
30 second sprint, superset with walking lunges for 1 minute x 10 minute. I have noticed a difference in my body fat since using this bike along with tracking, I have also cut down the time I spend in the gym by nearly an HOUR because this bike is so brutal, you will be limping out of the gym. I highly recommend this bike for those looking for a new cardio method along with saving time in the gym!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The fan bikes are great. Literally a tool for those in cardio rehab to world class athletes. Not something that can be said for most exercise equipment.

If you're looking to get one consider the Rogue Echo bike. Lower cost and better reviews.vs.the Air Assault or Schwinn Aredyne Pro. We got one a couple months ago. Great investment.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused, how is the indoor bike you're talking about (an Airbike no?) any better (save for the cost) than something like a WattBike or Cycleops' indoor bikes? I could see the maintenance potentially being easier, but otherwise I don't really see any benefit. Even a regular bike put on an indoor trainer (with a slick tire on the back wheel) would likely be just as effective.

That said I'm also very biased towards biking inside being as effective as possible for biking outside. And yes world class athletes do use WattBikes, Cyclops' indoor bikes, and their own bike on a trainer as rehab. Some of them even go on to win Paris-Roubaix by doing so.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Those bikes don't get harder to pedal as you increase speed. Plus they don't have the added arm resistance. The assault bike/airdyne's are specifically designed for short, high intensity tabata style workouts. The wattbike is designed to mimic outdoor cycling as closely as possible and is more a tool for keen outdoor cyclists.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused, how is the indoor bike you're talking about (an Airbike no?) any better (save for the cost) than something like a WattBike or Cycleops' indoor bikes? I could see the maintenance potentially being easier, but otherwise I don't really see any benefit. Even a regular bike put on an indoor trainer (with a slick tire on the back wheel) would likely be just as effective.

They aren't. In every measurable way, a good indoor bike or trainer is superior. Wattbike, Stages bike, Wahoo Kickr, Elite trainers, Kurt Kenetic, etc are all superior.

But they are different. As you allude to, they do not give a good bike workout. If they did, you'd see them at the TdF. You don't. You see trainers.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

They aren't. In every measurable way, a good indoor bike or trainer is superior. Wattbike, Stages bike, Wahoo Kickr, Elite trainers, Kurt Kenetic, etc are all superior.

But they are different. As you allude to, they do not give a good bike workout. If they did, you'd see them at the TdF. You don't. You see trainers.

Superior for what purpose? If you are training specifically for outdoor cycling sure. If you're training for cardio efficiency/calorie burn, an air style bike will enable you to get your heart rate higher and burn more calories because muscle activity isn't limited to the legs, the arms and back are also involved. In addition, an air style bike will provide an an upper body workout, similar to a rowing machine, not so with the Wattbike, etc

l2xyk6cyce4i.png
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Are the handles independent of the fan or are they directly related to your cadence (similar to the arms of an elliptical)? If they aren't independent that seems like a limiting factor in how many calories you'd end up burning because it would limit your cadence - or at least I would think so, I could be totally wrong.

Save for the arm bit, it sounds similar to riding a fixed gear bike on a "dumb trainer" (as opposed to a smart trainer ie any of the Wahoo trainers, the Tax Neo, the Elite Drivo, etc) that doesn't allow for you to change the resistance or rollers. They all have power curves and the faster your cadence the more power you are putting out and thus the more calories you burn. I put the fixed gear bike in there as you obviously aren't able to change gears on a fixie and thus that would simulate this arm bike simulate the most.

In terms of being designed for Tabata workounts, those were originally designed for exercise bikes and specifically for speed skaters. Logistically doing a Tabata workout on a bike is pretty easy because of the ability to quickly change the power output - this is especially true on something like a Wattbike or a smart trainer because you can program that in, but it's still entirely possible to do HIIT/HIIT style workouts on a bike on a dumb trainer. Speed skaters cross train with, among other things, bikes. There is a lot of cross over from speed skating to cycling (not so much the other way). During the last Winter Olympics there was footage of the athletes warming up and what cardio equipment were they using? Their own bikes on rollers. What cardio equipment was seen in other indoor events? Spin bikes.