Keto/5:2? Add me as a friend :)

Options
sezzyxo92
sezzyxo92 Posts: 19 Member
Hi everyone!
I am thinking about following 5:2 diet but see people getting amazing success stories following a Keto diet but I don't really understand it?!

Can anyone please break down a Keto diet for me and if they think it's a good way of life to follow?

I want to lose around 2.5 stone by December and really want some advice on the best way to do this?!

I'd love some more friends for support as well :)

Thank you so much,

Sarah

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You lose weight when you eat less and move more. All diets, more or less successfully, more or less convolutedly, with or without ridiculous claims, with or without unsustainable restrictions, are just methods to eat less.

How fast you can lose, depends on 1) how much you have to lose and 2) how well you adhere to the optimal calorie deficit. Up to 1% of your bodyweight per week is often used as a rule of thumb. A 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound of fat lost.

Keto restricts your calorie intake by reducing carb intake to almost nothing. 5:2 reduces your calorie intake by allowing you 500 calories per day two days per week. With calorie counting you can eat whatever you want, but not too much in total.

No matter what diet method you use, you will still have to eat less, and maybe move more. You will have to adhere to your chosen strategy, and not cheat, and not give up.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! I just started Keto 3 days ago. I’m not restricting calories any further with Keto. Just changing the way I eat. I never go below 1500 calories. I’m 139 lbs right now so you might need more. I would search for a Keto calculator. Basically Keto recommends eating whole foods with the fat. I’m used to eating cleaner but I love my sweets so I thought I’d try it. Breakfast was 3 eggs with cheese & bacon. The food tastes really good but they limit veggies to certain ones as well so I’m not sure how long term I will do it. My friend lost 6.4 lbs in her first week. I’ve been told that slows down as you flush out your cells but I think your goal is doable. Regardless of what diet you choose eating whole foods & reducing bad carbs will help. I’m down 2.5 lbs so far & feel fine. So I will keep on it for a bit. Hope to do a month or two & then go back to clean eating. I like that the fat helps you not to feel hungry as well. But most women should never go below 1500-1600 calories regardless. Good luck & feel free to add me as a friend for questions.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven’t watched it all yet but a friend told me to watch The Magic Pill on Netflix.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I haven’t watched it all yet but a friend told me to watch The Magic Pill on Netflix.

Watch (any health documentary) on netflix is generally not useful advice. Although documentaries supporting a woe you have already chosen might be motivational, they aren't really designed to summarize the science (they're designed to either provide motivation or get people to adopt the woe they are promoting).
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    As @kommodevaran said, it is all about calories in vs. calories out. Finding what works best for you is only for you. I've done low carb, keto, 5:2, up/down days, IF and countless other versions. But in the end, it is me eating fewer calories than I burn. Find whatever works for you that doesn't feel like a punishment and do it. If that's strictly calorie counting while enjoying all foods in moderation, that works as well. Best of luck to you!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for a few months. Fell off the wagon recently due to poor performance in the gym. But, back on and not stopping.

As others have said already, weight loss is managing the number of calories that you take in vs. the number of calories that you burn. So, Calories in Calories out.

If I might, the way that I approach things is that - first and foremost - we are all different. What works for her or for him might not work for you.

Keto is amazing. I love eating the food. But, food is fuel. And, I really like carbs. It might be a huge challenge to cut out carbs for you. Or not.

I look at caloric intake over the course of a week (seven days). That mindset helps me....

I will gladly share with you - if you go down this path - some of the things to do to avoid the Keto Flu and Keto Breath and and and - if you like.

I wish you all the good fortune in the world on this journey. May you find what works for you.....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sezzyxo92 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I am thinking about following 5:2 diet but see people getting amazing success stories following a Keto diet but I don't really understand it?!

Can anyone please break down a Keto diet for me and if they think it's a good way of life to follow?

I want to lose around 2.5 stone by December and really want some advice on the best way to do this?!

I'd love some more friends for support as well :)

Thank you so much,

Sarah

5:2 is zig-zagging calories. Each much less "2" days a week, so you can eat normally (maintenance) the other 5. This is great if you struggle on weekends, or if it helps you maintain a weekly deficit with consistency.

Keto is very low carb and higher fat. By eliminating most carbs, many find it easier to stay in a deficit (sometimes without counting). Low carb is great for water weight loss the first week or two. When people talk about how much "faster" weight loss is, this is what they are referring to. Keep in mind water weight loss is temporary.

Whatever method you choose, find something that you can bring with you into maintenance. Weight loss is just the first step. Keeping the weight you lost off takes life long changes.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that some women do react less favorably to IF diets than men do and for some women this can have health implications.

I would suggest doing some thorough research on IF diets first to make sure its the right approach to a calorie deficit diet for you.

You can get the same weight lose results from either a moderation/calorie counting model or a LCHF model.

Also there is nothing wrong with a ketogenic model diet for weight loss but it does require a large shift in your food choices if you have been used to a SAD diet, so you may get better results from a less restrictive LCHF approach (I generally eat between 40- 10g of carbs and find that more achievable to stick to than always being strict keto)?

Keto, LCHF, Vegan, Moderation - all are healthy and can be successful if done correctly. It's all about finding what works for you.

Good luck.