What does 1200 calories under the poverty line look like?

Options
2»

Replies

• swilkins49412
    swilkins49412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    are you receiving food stamps by chance? there is an awesome program where your money is doubled at local farmers markets in the summer months. check it out here: http://www.doubleupfoodbucks.org/
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
  • LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too am on a fixed income. As suggested before I’m eating loads of eggs, but also leaning towards meatless meals. I’m finding as I lose heavy meats are harder to digest. I shop Aldi Walmart and dollar tree. Frozen veggies and frozen chicken breast are my go to meals cause you can diversify your menus
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kattymatt3 wrote: »
    Hello and welcome. :)

Before you put too much time into researching 1200 calories a day on a tight budget, are you sure 1200 is what you need? How did you reach that number? If it was here at MFP, what did you select as your loss per week (1 pound, 2 pounds, etc)? Also, how much are you aiming to lose and how active are you?

As far as diet...What foods do you currently eat and how many calories would you estimate you're currently eating a day?

Thank you for the welcome :)
    I am happy to be a part of the community. I have found a lot of inspiration and accountability for myself here in the past.

I came up with 1200 based on MFP's suggestion and success with that amount in the past.
    I selected 2 lbs/week loss. I would like to lose 15 lbs at minimum but would be thrilled to lose 25 lbs. I am not totally set on numbers though because my primary goals are to lose fat, gain muscle, and resume a more consistently healthy way of eating and living.

As far as diet now...

I ideally have a smoothie in the morning which consists of 12 oz of 1% milk, 1 scoop of whey protein powder, and 1 1/4 cup mixed berries.

For lunch I have a big salad with shredded carrots, beets, tomatoes, red or green leaf lettuce, cucumber, kale, and a small amount of zesty italian or greek dressing.

For dinner I usually have a chicken thigh or drumstick, some type of steamed vegetable, and either rice or pasta.

For a snack between lunch and dinner I usually eat a banana and some yogurt or some cubes of cheese, almonds, and some ham.

I am not usually able to afford this menu through the whole month though and by the end of the month I just kind of eat what I can. Breakfast may turn into 2 eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast or maybe a bowl of cereal. Lunch may turn into two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Dinner turns into just pasta. Snacks turn into chips or some slices of cheese.

I also sometimes eat my feelings, so if I am stressed about a test or something like that, then I will eat more. I also have a hard time eating well right before my period starts. I just want chocolate and something salty like chips. I cosume the most calories right before my period starts.

I am on again off again active. Yesterday Iimbed alot of trees, raked the yard, moved rocks, and ran around after a 2 and 4 year old. Today I spent most of my time idoors cleaning, taking care of the kids, and a lot of time in the car so not so active. I had a gym membership for a couple months as my one luxury item, but that has to be put on hold again until it is in the budget again. My mental and physical state is vastly improved when I can exercise in a gym, so I look forward to havong that again in the future. Mostly I would say I am not very active though and when active I am moving at the pace of a toddler and preschooler which is much slower than I would go.

First off, I'd say that overall it sounds like you're doing really well, both with what you eat and how you budget the limited funds you have at the moment. So congrats on that!

One reason I asked if you really need 1200 is because if you can bump that up a few hundred to around 14/1500 a day, then it's easier to fit in less expensive (but still nutritious) foods, like beans. On only 1200, it can be tough to meet protein and nutrient goals with limited funds bc it severely limits how many inexpensive starchy carbs you can eat. Given the info you provided, it sounds like you could lose well on 14/1500 (maybe even more).

It sounds like you're likely eating an appropriate calorie level most days (i.e, an amount of food that would = weight loss), and your particular challenges to consistently eating at that level are the times you occasionally emotionally eat and when you eat more calories right before your period. So I'd suggest focusing on coming up with strategies to minimize the damage those challenges can cause. That'll take introspection and experimenting to find what works for you.

For your typical and preferred diet that you described, I'd suggest working out how much you're spending per meal. I love big salads too, but they can really add up. I'm also on a tight budget right now (although I have it much easier bc I'm just feeding myself). I restrict how many salads I eat as a meal bc they're just too expensive for me to be a staple. With my current financial goals, I can afford that only two or three times a week. I'd prefer it every day though. ;) You also may find that your smoothie could be cheaper by replacing the berries with a frozen banana and a teaspoon of peanut butter. If it is cheaper that way (it would be with my store's prices), then you might be able to stretch the berries smoothie to last all month if you only eat it twice a week or so and eat less expensive breakfasts on other days. Anyway, the general point I'm getting at is calculating how much each of your meals you frequently eat cost per serving. That lets you brainstorm ways to cut its serving price and see how frequently you can eat that meal per week. It also helps you find cheaper versions/alternatives to eat on other days.

I agree with what's been mentioned about trying to find ways to make mostly the same meals for you and your family, since that would likely save you $. You can bulk up your husband's calories with additional carbs and protein.

For exercise, is it possible you could find time to exercise at home? Maybe waking up before the kids or while they nap? Even 20 minutes every day can make a valuable difference in physical and emotional well-being.

You have a lot to deal with now, with young kids, school, and financial stress. I hope you find suggestions that help you! Hang in there! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    With not much to lose I would set your goal for .5 to 1 lb a week instead of 2 lb a week.

I would not go low carb.
    Active members of your family who need more calories could have more things like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, peanut butter to help them fill up cheaply.

Meal planning is a good idea if you have a tight budget
    Low budget friendly foods where I live are oatmeal, tuna, whole chicken or chicken thighs, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, bread, peanut butter, eggs, powdered milk, potatoes, carrots, apples, ground turkey, less lean ground beef, cabbage, onions, canned vegetables, canned fruit, frozen vegetables, popcorn kernals.
    Buy produce in season or locally grown.
    Buy foods whole and cut, shred, peel, skin, debone them yourself.
    Buy store brand or generic.
    If you can look and see what might be on sale when you are meal planning.
    Soup, stew or curry is an economical things to have.

Low budget menu planning and recipes:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/03/35-meatless-meals.html
    http://www.meatlessmonday.com/favorite-recipes/
    http://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/recipes/

Some MFP threads you may find useful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10518784/healthy-food-choice-on-a-budget/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500423/costing-a-lot-more-money-to-eat-healthier/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490067/most-healthy-food-options-are-very-expensive-and-im-on-a-very-poor-budget-what-to-do/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10020804/looking-for-vegetarian-recipes#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10614805/need-quick-cheap-nutritious-food#latest
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10666103/only-have-150-a-month-for-food-help/p2
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10232335/list-of-higher-protein-foods
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven’t read l the comments so don’t know if it’s been suggested but frozen fruit with yogurt /granola. (Buy the big tubs of yogurt instead of individual)
    I saw you freeze chicken on sale. Eggs for protein in your salad.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I used to be extremely poor. I ate A LOT of cabbage, carrots, oats, and beans (dry & cooked them myself). I also did coupons and stocked up when basics went on sale: 10/$1 tomato sauce, buy 20. For about 2 years my MONTHLY food budget was less than $50 for 2 people. Today that would be about $100/month for 2.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My weekly menus are largely dependent upon what is on sale. For example I bought 3 lbs of strawberries last night for $5 at Kroger. That will be a staple for my breakfasts and snacks all week with low carb yogurt. Oatmeal is cheap in the can and is easy to add fresh fruit to. I also prefer to make it heartier by mixing in milk instead of water. Frozen vegetables for $1 a package fill in the gaps when fresh produce isn’t on sale. I mostly use chicken at dinner time. Boneless skinless when on sale. I cut up leg quarters whennthere is no sale on boneless. This week I was also lucky to pick up a couple full pork loins at 1.47 a lb. I am cutting those into boneless chops. I keep canned tuna on hand for lunches as well. I am feeding a family of 5 this week (including a teenage boy) for $130 with an extra pork loin that I will freeze. Also don’t be afraid to ask your store for rain checks when sale items are out of stock.
  • MB_Boston
    MB_Boston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stuff I try to buy to be budget friendly (and I'm the only 1 who eats it in the house): cottage cheese, triscuits (or generic brand from walmart) hard boiled eggs, yogurt, melon, berries, greens, oatmeal, apples, brown rice.

A really quick and satisfying dinner is wilted/cooked greens in olive oil & garlic over pasta. this is filling and whatever veg is in season can be added to bulk it up.

Crustless quiche- add any kinds of meat/veg you have as leftovers, shred some cheese & it seems all new.

Crock pot- add your fave cut of chicken, cumin, garlic, onion, salsa, bag or frozen corn, can of beans & some water/chic broth. Shred it up & this mixture can be added to tacos, burritos, over rice, over salad, etc. Even my kid liked it.

Roast whatever veg are in season in oil, s&p then put over rice or pasta. can also be made into quesadilla with cheese/salsa.

I love the budget bytes site too.

Sounds like you might be too agressive on weight loss per week, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck & please post any recipe ideas you come up with!
  • Stacyann21255
    Stacyann21255 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the same thing. I have set my fitness pal at 1500 calories. But I usually end up only eating 1200 to 1400 calories. My husband and I usually eat yogurt for breakfast. I will keep following your progress. Good luck. I have lost 10 pounds in 1 week.
  • EllieTheLondoner
    EllieTheLondoner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can't add much that's not already been said, but I shop as much as possible in Aldi, and the freezer is my friend! I batch cook, buy frozen meat and vegetables, and stuff on offer.

I went through a very tight financial period, and it was tough to eat right. In the end I upped my food budget to 40% of my budget because I wasn't going to let poverty stop me losing weight.

You could save some money by switching out the protein powder for breakfast with something like eggs + veggies. But your overall eating looks pretty good.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    My basic grocery list is along these lines:
    eggs, milk, bread
    family packs of chicken and pork (they can be divided down into smaller packs and frozen)
    rice
    lettuce, carrots, broccoli, onions, potatos
    bag of apples
    peanut butter
    turkey or ham sandwich slices
    frozen veggies
    canned mushrooms
    pasta & sauce
    cheddar cheese (the block is cheaper and you can shred it at home)

With the above and what you likely have on hand (seasonings, butter, dressing), you can make a wide variety of foods that would fit within your calorie allowance.

Basically, though, look at what you're already eating and you can likely made some minor adjustments in cooking styles (if you fry often) and portion sizes to get your meals down to meet your calorie goals. I would double check that goal as usually means someone is going for too much weight loss, too fast. If you don't have much to lose, you should consider setting your rate of loss lower.

^^^this^^^ plus BACON - cant be without bacon, yogart or popsicles (1.97 for 18) tortilla chips 1.76 party size - salsa 1.49 and avocado. WAL MART. gotta have quac!

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and lentils are super cheap and filling. I make big batches of chili or different Indian dishes and they make 10-12 servings, often. I freeze them in portions that my husband takes to work or for quick dinners.
    Beans and greens, beans and rice use staples like dry beans, frozen greens (collards or spinach), canned tomatoes & rice.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I haven’t read l the comments so don’t know if it’s been suggested but frozen fruit with yogurt /granola. (Buy the big tubs of yogurt instead of individual)
    I saw you freeze chicken on sale. Eggs for protein in your salad.

Perhaps I just eat a lot of yogurt but to me I haven't found it to be particularly cheap even in tub form. Granola is definitely not cheap in my area of NY. It would be much cheaper to buy oats and other grains and honey and make your own.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was living on a tight budget while I wasn’t working. My goal was to limit my weekly spend to $60 a week for me and hubby including detergents and toiletries. I’m vegan and hubby isn’t.

First I tried coupons but I gave that up quick as I found that coupons were for big brands which cost more than store brands even with the discount.

I tried scouring the offers in the mail to work out which store had the best offer each work. That seemed like a waste of time too - Aldi was the lowest cost store near me so I gave reading the ads and just shopped there.

I found the following worked for me:

- meal planning and prep. Knowing what we were eating and when meant I only bought exactly what we needed. Prepping on one day a week and freezing food saved time in the week as well as money on products I’d have otherwise bought preprepared - you can make enough soup for lunch every day of the week for only a couple of dollars.
    - Shopping at Aldi for non perishables, the fruit and veg can be good too - go early and only buy what looks good
    - Shopping in the local farmers shop for vegetables
    - Buying in season - fruit and veg in season are affordable and yummy!
    - Buying frozen and canned veg - it’s cheaper and just as healthy. Look for store brands.
    - Infrequent trips to Target for items I couldn’t get in Aldi, I only went once a month and took a list so I didn’t impulse buy

I’d get my shopping budget out of the bank each month in cash. Physically seeing what I had to spend and what was left helped me to think about if I really needed to get something.

I’d think about the budget a month at a time which gave me flexibility to buy meat on offer and freeze it. Meat was a big buy so it really helped to get the savings. It would have been easier if we’d both been vegan, as dried legumes and pulses are really great value! Toilet paper and detergent were also big dents in the budget.

Shopping on a budget I found that I couldn't impulse buy, but I did eat healthily and stick to my budget.

The basics of a healthy diet are the same no mater your budget. Fill you plate with veggies, then add small portions of protein and carbs, try to opt for whole grain. Remember that healthy doesn’t have to be special or expensive.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you are new to food insecurity, there are some things that you should know.
    Planning the week of food is essential. Get as many meals out of a set of core foods as possible.
    Stock your pantry with jarred and canned vegetables and your freezer with frozen vegetables and fruit.
    Protein powders and drinks often do NOT qualify for EBT.
    Seeds and plants that grow herbs or vegetables DO! (and they grow indoors)
    The HOT rotisserie chickens don’t qualify, but ask your grocery if they can put any extra at the end of the day in the fridge section, even for one minute ....and it does.
    Chicken thighs are inexpensive and full of good nutrition and flavor.
    Your local food pantry has LOTS of staples - rice, beans, soups - that can stretch an animal protein an extra day. And they’ll have cake mixes
    - don’t ever feel guilty about buying cake mix
    - or sweets
    - or sodas.
    It’s nobody’s business.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the easy-to-prepare, delicious, and frugal recipes featured on this website: BudgetBytes - designed for small budgets and the site is a pleasure to navigate because it isn't all advertising and pop-ups, so refreshing! She has an app, and you can subscribe to her e-mail recipes, and there are meal plans and tutorials for her SNAP challenge project that may be particularly informative.

Get the free pdf recipe book download of Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown in English or Spanish.

I'm a single, which in itself presents some challenges when purchasing/using up food and implementing an interesting meal plan. I can't buy a food and only use 10% of it in my meal plan without having an issue with excessive waste. After three months of balancing the needs of my budget with the needs of my diet, I've discovered that my more efficient and successful meal plans start with the understanding that the most cost-efficient meal plans will require me to eat the same meals for a week at a time, or at least five of the seven days. This repetitive meal plan serves two purposes: it uses up the fresh food I just bought, and I find I don't mind eating the same meals every day for a week. In fact, I find it easier to have less choice. I think I also have problems when provided with too much choice, so when I open the refrigerator to get out the ingredients for my evening meal, there is no dithering around wondering what I feel like eating.

This topic interests me. I'm looking forward to what others might suggest.

This is excellent advice. I hope everyone who is facing challenges with food costs sees it.