Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

For long life; vodka, hot dogs and French fries...

Options
saintor1
saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
...says the 96yo lady.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5260569/Betty-White-95-credits-hot-dogs-vodka-old-age.html
Betty White attributes her long life and good health to junk food and moderate drinking

Her diet may not sound health-conscious, but there is research to say otherwise

We break down how Betty's 'bad' habits might just be the secret to her good life

Replies

• okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Haha I read the article and she sounds a lot like my best friend who is very lean and eats pretty much whatever she wants and not gain a pound. She also only eats about once or twice a day because she works a lot and in college she stayed on the move but was never into exercising so I do agree somewhat that I think the problem of obesity lies more often than not on not moving more vs. what you're eating. Genetics also plays a big role as well.

Unlike my best friend, I have to watch what I eat regardless if I am super active or not. Just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

I also don't believe eating breakfast is necessary. Every time I try I end up gaining weight. I've always been an afternoon eater and my best friend rarely eats breakfast.

So I think what a lot of what nutritionists say is bullcrap.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Two things she does that seem to be true of many, three things are rare.
    Work.
    Drink.
    Get great genes.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to say :D
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Older than sliced bread, she may be onto something.
    I can't drink a lot of vodka, though. Who am I, Ted Danson?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Wrong! Whisky, cookies, and tacos are the secret to a long life.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My grandmother smoked till she was 65, half her diet was candy (Bit 'O Honey and cinnamon bears) and the other half was oatmeal and very milky coffee. She lived to be 95.

Guess I better start smoking.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Actually, every time I read an article about the latest centenarian, they always claim their long life is due to 'wine at dinner' or some such <insert favorite alcohol>

Maybe the true prescription is 'enjoy life'...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i remember reading a 100+ year old lady crediting cigarettes and whiskey. i thought, well, that's a lady who seems to enjoy life