Feeling down today!

Options
Sir3am
Sir3am Posts: 19 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
So a bit of background about me, I’m 33, 5ft 11” and 245lbs. All in the gut! I don’t drink alcohol but I did eat ALOT of crap!

Started a diet 2 weeks ago and I feel like I’m doing it wrong, not only that I really disgusted with my body! Everything I ware feels uncomfortable, I feel like everyone is staring at me and it massively kills my mood!

This morning I woke up and put a t shirt on and was like WTF this was Loose 3 days ago why is it tight again.

I feel bloated and like my weigh isn’t dropping! I want to lose weight fast, and I understand it’s a slow process but with it being a slow process but how do I stay motivated when I feel like it’s not changing!?!

Sorry for the rant people I just needed to get it off my chest. (And gut)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Set yourself some fitness goals so you're not just focusing on your weight?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Anyone who loses weight has to make some sort of plan and has to be patient. It isn't going to happen over night.

Enter your stats here on the site. Log your food every day. Take a walk or do some physical activity for 30-60 minutes most days.

Keep logging your food. Record your body weight regularly. Think about changes you can make.

Make small changes when and where you can.

And stop beating yourself up. It doesn't burn calories.
  • jonagolddreams
    jonagolddreams Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had this exact moment this week. I have only been logging my calories for a short time, but I've been struggling with the same weight since my son was born. I often look at myself in the mirror and see all the things I don't like. Having two children and a busy, often harried approach to eating has not been kind to my body.

It has helped me in the past to look at this journey to better health as an act of love for my body and not as a punishment for how I feel about the way it looks right now. As gratifying as it would be to see massive changes right away, it's a process (just like the neglect that led me to this point was).

Staying motivated and encouraged can be tough, but seeing the successes of those around me really helps me stay on track. My time will come, as long as I keep plodding away and don't give up. Yours will, too.

I'm learning that starting to love myself goes much deeper than enjoying who I see in the mirror. It's in the choices I make for myself throughout the day, the time for care that I set aside for myself in addition to my family, and to the patience I give to the process that will lead me to better health.

Changing my diet has been difficult in the sense that it requires more forethought than I am used to. I keep an open diary, and knowing that my friends can see my failures and victories helps hold me accountable. I don't always make great choices, but I have seen a huge change in the way I'm eating so far. I actually take time to cook for myself instead of just the family, and taking the extra care makes my mealtimes more enjoyable, too.

Another thing that has helped with my activity level is the Fitbit my husband bought me for Mother's Day. My Fitbit friends cheer me on, and even though my goals are modest, hitting them makes me feel like I am accomplishing something much more than the mirror does right now. As I meeting the goal more consistently, I will increase the challenge.

Find people that have achieved what you want to, and do what they do. Surround yourself with allies in the battle against the bulge. :D A lot of people on MFP start out feeling discouraged and disgusted. The difference between the victorious and the unsuccessful is perseverance.

I can do this, and you can, too.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    Work at process goals. Weight loss is not a thing to do in and of itself, it’s the product of a process. The process is a set of things to do. Embrace the process, make it a permanent part of your life and you will only have to do it one time.

Motivation is fleeting and unreliable. Think about what good habits you can develop to help you achieve your goals.

The best habit to have is a food diary. You keep your diary everyday, good, bad, or ugly. You’ll soon find that you have a better chance to hit your calorie number if you have a plan.

Planning a menu and keeping a diary are a good place to start process goals. Most folks here set goals like “lose 10lbs by X date”. But the scale cannot be controlled. The process can. Try plan a menu every Sunday for next week. And keep your diary everyday for 2 months. You can control those things. The only way not to do them is to decide not to.

Clothes. Taking pride in my appearance changed everything for me. Clothes that fit are essential. Do your best with whatever you have to work with right now. Perfect is the enemy of the good. Start trying to make things better now. Folks tend to invest too much in their final goal and end up. disappointed when all of their dreams aren’t realized. Look around, there’s plenty of well dressed overweight people who look good. It can be done.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It can be a long, and sometimes painful process, but try to keep your chin up and look at the bright side if possible. Keep going and take pride in the small shorter term goals, going down a size etc. If you do this, a year from now you will be glad you did and posting a thread that you are happy you have come so far, since this thread!
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had this exact moment this week. I have only been logging my calories for a short time, but I've been struggling with the same weight since my son was born. I often look at myself in the mirror and see all the things I don't like. Having two children and a busy, often harried approach to eating has not been kind to my body.

It has helped me in the past to look at this journey to better health as an act of love for my body and not as a punishment for how I feel about the way it looks right now. As gratifying as it would be to see massive changes right away, it's a process (just like the neglect that led me to this point was).

Staying motivated and encouraged can be tough, but seeing the successes of those around me really helps me stay on track. My time will come, as long as I keep plodding away and don't give up. Yours will, too.

I'm learning that starting to love myself goes much deeper than enjoying who I see in the mirror. It's in the choices I make for myself throughout the day, the time for care that I set aside for myself in addition to my family, and to the patience I give to the process that will lead me to better health.

Changing my diet has been difficult in the sense that it requires more forethought than I am used to. I keep an open diary, and knowing that my friends can see my failures and victories helps hold me accountable. I don't always make great choices, but I have seen a huge change in the way I'm eating so far. I actually take time to cook for myself instead of just the family, and taking the extra care makes my mealtimes more enjoyable, too.

Another thing that has helped with my activity level is the Fitbit my husband bought me for Mother's Day. My Fitbit friends cheer me on, and even though my goals are modest, hitting them makes me feel like I am accomplishing something much more than the mirror does right now. As I meeting the goal more consistently, I will increase the challenge.

Find people that have achieved what you want to, and do what they do. Surround yourself with allies in the battle against the bulge. :D A lot of people on MFP start out feeling discouraged and disgusted. The difference between the victorious and the unsuccessful is perseverance.

I can do this, and you can, too.

• etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed to hear this too! :-)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Feeling down is just part of the first steps to weight loss (in my opionion). We get overweight by living in denial. Then, when you come out of that, and see what you've done to your body, how far you've let yourself go. That's a bad day. A bad few days really. This is normal, and really good as it means you're ready to change things.

The human body is an amazing. you can transform, heal, strengthen your body over time by what you eat and do. Simple as that.

you can do this...accept responsitilty for where you are at.. stay on this site, read through the forums for inspiration and support. move forward with a healthy eating plan that fits your life and personality. Same with exercise..but remember what you eat is the most important factor.

You can do this!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    Looking at your other thread, I want to try to convince you of something- you’re doing the right thing.

A calorie deficit, monitored by a food diary, will get you to your goals. Regular exercise while overrated for weight loss, will change your life.

What you are struggling with is the weight loss/calorie counting learning curve. All these calculators and gadgets give us the idea that we just crunch a few numbers and we’ve got it.

You’re right it takes time. First there’s the laws of physics, we can only lose so much in a week. And then there’s adjustments our bodies have to make. But if you read this board a lot you’ll soon see that what really slows folks down is adjusting their thinking. Don’t let your brain wreck you.

If you don’t start seeing some weight loss, don’t quit, adjust. To make it to goal you will need to make countless adjustments. Sometimes you will find yourself in the weight loss sweet spot, but it won’t last forever. You will need to adjust. When your brain says it’s hopeless, tell it to shut up. The only way to fail is quit.

Decide how long you will test your current program. If you haven’t started a downward trend at the end of the test, cut some calories. It might hurt. But work hard at your menu planning to get as much satisfaction as you can for your calories.

Give yourself a break, WL is complex. Keep experimenting. You’ll get it.
  • AmberWazdrag1228
    AmberWazdrag1228 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This weight loss journey is going to test your emotions and your commitment. You’re going to want to give up, but keep on pushing. Although I don’t have much to lose, a minor weight gain last week made me question my weighthloss journey. It was then I realized that I need to keep my eyes on my goal. You are your own worst critic. Don’t give up and if you need some support or motivation, don’t hesitate to add me.